Remove ELO Visibility

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Moose 5566

Remove ELO Visibility

Post by Moose 5566 »

I am thinking that many people rob people at the start of games that have the highest ELO rather than the numbers they are on or their current standing, whether consciously or not. Later in the games it probably matters less.

I just finished a game where I came in last place and was stolen from 10 times to everyone else's 4 times. I feel this takes away my enjoyment from the game.

It would be nice if BGA would hide ELO visibility during game play to try to reduce this possible bias. I realize people can just remember the ELO from the start of the game or look at their profile, but this would just help with unconscious bias.

Probably won't change, but what do other people think?
BusterVA

Re: Remove ELO Visibility

Post by BusterVA »

I do this very thing.

Why?

Beating a high ELO player ha a bigger impact on your own ELO. Plus, a high ELO player typically is a far greater threat, so best to slow them down right out of the gate when possible.

That said, I play to win when at all possible. I am not entirely bias - it does depend on other factors - but who I rob is connected to ELO at times.
DVC

Post by DVC »

I suffer from this too. Lost count of how many times I’ve typed “please play the game, not the ELO”. I get why people do it, but it’s frustrating to have to sit at the table with a massive target on your back.

Of course, if you are in Arena mode, it’s hidden, but I won’t play Arena because for TWO YEARS the gurus have kept it as 3-player only, which is patently ridiculous. Base Catan is only balanced properly at 4 players and all real-life tournaments recognise this. Why won’t the so-called gurus? I know that’s another argument, but it’s a contributing factor to this one.
Moose 5566

Post by Moose 5566 »

BusterVA wrote: 22 April 2024, 21:04 I do this very thing.

Why?

Beating a high ELO player ha a bigger impact on your own ELO. Plus, a high ELO player typically is a far greater threat, so best to slow them down right out of the gate when possible.

That said, I play to win when at all possible. I am not entirely bias - it does depend on other factors - but who I rob is connected to ELO at times.
Even people with high ELO pick bad spots, have unlucky rolls, and ultimately lose sometimes. Are you fine with people just picking on you for no reason?
sparklingwaterr

Post by sparklingwaterr »

The original Catan has no ELO, so why would you play against someone based on ELO?
cowboy_dan

Post by cowboy_dan »

sparklingwaterr wrote: 21 May 2024, 12:17 The original Catan has no ELO, so why would you play against someone based on ELO?
Yes, but if you’re playing against a friend who is good at the game and a friend that is bad at the game, wouldn’t your rob the good player at the beginning and there’s no other way to determine who is most likely to win?
Moose 5566

Post by Moose 5566 »

I think the Easy Start and friendly robber variation help solve this issue. It may not totally absolve the issue, but it certainly will provide some protection against people robbing you just because you have higher ELO (not even that high). The robber at the start of the game can highly impact the result of the game if one player is robbed on one of their key numbers.
fairfensheeding

Post by fairfensheeding »

No trade, reverse robber variant would be nice and solves this problem.
BusterVA

Post by BusterVA »

[/quote]

Even people with high ELO pick bad spots, have unlucky rolls, and ultimately lose sometimes. Are you fine with people just picking on you for no reason?
[/quote]

It isn't for no reason. It is a very calculated reason.

Return to “Catan”