Buff lighthouse

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
ArchDevious

Buff lighthouse

Post by ArchDevious »

Why does Ludens give 3/1 when Lighthouse gives 1/1? Heavy commerce is pretty weak already. I enjoy going yellow, but it seems so much weaker than green, red, or blue. Make Ludens and Lighthouse both give 2 coins/1 VP. Ludens is really strong and Lighthouse is a fine card as is, but buffing it improves all those early yellow cards which need the buff.

fwiw been loving 5man arena overall, nice change from the typical 3p/4p arenas. You get the big deck of a 7p game without the long wait
jjgllg

Re: Buff lighthouse

Post by jjgllg »

I don't think it is worth it. There is only one Ludus and it only exists in 5p. Going for the Ludus solely is risky and not worth losing an arms race. I think it makes a great card to hide aswell if you opted out of military. Lighthouse on the other hand. Well, why not go for both red and yellow? I have made some of my best scores doing both at the same time and finishing with lighthouse and Ludus, you'll score high. Buffing lighthouse would make yellow too desirable and probably op since there is a limited supply of yellow cards compared to Brown in resource play, for an example.

Sure Ludus makes red appealing but that is the exact point. In old version people don't want to build military because it didn't score enough in 5 or more players compared price so technically you were supposed to avoid playing red. One thing here is committing to a strategy. More and more advanced the play is, the more It is sticking to an even complicated strategies while disrupting others. Dumping cards on purpose was probably unheard of when the game was initially released but has since become a standard play in certain situations. More ways to win, better for the game. Ludus can save a game for someone who lost all other opportunities than red. Bonus, it encourages strategy that tries both green and red, Malung this potentially the highest scoring combination, if succesful. One of my games i saw a player score 89 on combining red and green.
6element

Re: Buff lighthouse

Post by 6element »

The key issue with Lighthouse that it is irreplaceable. There is just one instance of it (assuming sane player counts) which makes "yellow strategy" somewhat risky and vulnerable.

The second issue with "yellow strategy" is that there isn't strong synergy between yellow cards, but instead some are either universally strong (Caravansary), or super handy in specific situation. As result yellow cards tend to be spread across multiple players significantly devaluing Lighthouse.

So, I don't think the proposed change would solve anything. But of course please try the variant with your paper copy and tell us how it feels.

Return to “7 Wonders”