Improving Sponsor upgrade

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
TopTierReindeer

Improving Sponsor upgrade

Post by TopTierReindeer »

Just hypothetically, how would you like if upgraded Sponsors would be slightly buffed, in the way that excess value (e.g., playing a 4er valued card on 5) breaks the differences & 2 money/difference?
I'm aware that no one will change the rules and Marine Worlds already adds some extras with drafting, just philosophizing here.
Cheers.
JDansp

Re: Improving Sponsor upgrade

Post by JDansp »

why would it need a buff? it's already the strongest upgraded action in 2p games
nanospy

Post by nanospy »

Changes should only be made to address something specific. What perceived issue with upgraded sponsors are you trying to fix?
oldwhite

Post by oldwhite »

I think The problem with sponsor action is not the action, but hard to estimate values of each sponsor card. They vary a lot. And even same card is different depends on stages of game, map, common projects etc.
Azoken

Post by Azoken »

the only buff i would like to see for the sponsor action is to advance the pause token (and earn) up to X where x is the force of the action.
nanospy

Post by nanospy »

Azoken wrote: 25 May 2024, 19:18 the only buff i would like to see for the sponsor action is to advance the pause token (and earn) up to X where x is the force of the action.
That is what sponsors already does. And when upgraded, this effect is doubled.

Perhaps you want it to do both in one use?
Arrigo II

Post by Arrigo II »

nanospy wrote: 26 May 2024, 19:26
Azoken wrote: 25 May 2024, 19:18 the only buff i would like to see for the sponsor action is to advance the pause token (and earn) up to X where x is the force of the action.
That is what sponsors already does. And when upgraded, this effect is doubled.

Perhaps you want it to do both in one use?
Right now you can't advance fewer steps than the force(?) of the action. Maybe that's what Azoken means.
One problem with this buff is that it would allow infinite stalling if no player wants to cause the break.
ChrisKern

Post by ChrisKern »

Sponsors used to be the thing I never upgraded, but I saw people say it was one of the best things to upgrade first -- since then I started upgrading it first or second (after build) and I think it's great. If you think it's useless, I would recommend trying to use it more and see what you think.
TopTierReindeer

JDansp wrote: 24 May 2024, 13:09 why would it need a buff? it's already the strongest upgraded action in 2p games
I thought it’s the one getting the fewest upgrades, I wasn’t aware that this changed? That’s why I started thinking what could make people choose it more frequently over eg association.
TopTierReindeer

nanospy wrote: 24 May 2024, 16:15 Changes should only be made to address something specific. What perceived issue with upgraded sponsors are you trying to fix?
The idea was rather to create more even ratios of how frequently the action cards are upgraded, enabling slightly different strategic avenues. Sponsors are with approx 0.3 upgrades/game the one with the fewest. Until JPDansp commented I assumed that makes sponsors the weakest.

Return to “Ark Nova”