Concede

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
ResJudicata

Concede

Post by ResJudicata »

Need to add an option to concede without penalty, when hope is lost and it's almost impossible to even stay on the lead lap. Once you're down a couple corners and spin outs, it's all over and your just wasting time.
Percy Snoodle

Re: Concede

Post by Percy Snoodle »

Agreed - even if it only shows up after you spin out, it would still save you from a single mistake turning into a long miserable time.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

It's already there. You just need to have at least one person after the finish line.
redfaern

Post by redfaern »

Tisaac wrote: 12 May 2024, 13:27 It's already there. You just need to have at least one person after the finish line.
I think the OP wants it there throughout the entire game. You may be two corners behind without a way to catch up so the preference would be to concede rather than spend the time or leave the game with a penalty which can upset the other players so really shouldn't have to be a choice.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

redfaern wrote: 13 May 2024, 15:28
Tisaac wrote: 12 May 2024, 13:27 It's already there. You just need to have at least one person after the finish line.
I think the OP wants it there throughout the entire game. You may be two corners behind without a way to catch up so the preference would be to concede rather than spend the time or leave the game with a penalty which can upset the other players so really shouldn't have to be a choice.
Being two corners behind is not enough to say you lost the game. Heat has couple catchback mechanism that makes it not trivial to determine the winner during the game. That's why that constraint for surrendering was added, with the publisher pushing in that direction as well
ResJudicata

Post by ResJudicata »

Percy Snoodle wrote: 11 May 2024, 16:50 Agreed - even if it only shows up after you spin out, it would still save you from a single mistake turning into a long miserable time.
Yes!
RazorOz

Post by RazorOz »

I'd support this, if only because I think it would lower the number of tilt quits. Heat has the worst quitters problem I've seen on all of BGA, and the number of responses in the thread on that suggests I'm not the only one to experience that.

If players could give up a race it should lower the number of tilt quits you see from players when they know they can't win, which are incredibly tedious to play against, and make the gaming experience for everyone else significantly worse. It would at the very least take away the excuse from people, because I've had people quit saying it's pointless for them to play another 30 minutes when they can't possibly win. That is what I expect is driving a lot of the quitting at Heat, that people don't like playing a game they can't possibly win, and Heat can be very explicit when you've lost, as opposed to a lot of games where the points aren't added up until the end.
krinndnz

Post by krinndnz »

Let people quit if they want to — on every game, not just Heat! Trust users' judgment about when they have stopped having fun (or, in Arena mode, trust their judgment about when they have lost a not-yet-concluded game). If you let people concede at any time, yes, there are downsides to that, but all of the alternatives are worse. Restrictions on conceding such as exist now have the effect of making the games worse for everyone: people who want to concede have the ugly choice between "press the hard-quit button and take a penalty, or sit through some unknown amount of time where you have to participate but you aren't having fun" (if you were having fun, you wouldn't be trying to concede), and on the flip side, the people who want to continue participating in the game have to work around the fact that one player is, at best, nothing but an immobile lump, and there are very few games that handle that circumstance gracefully.
Injured Pigeon

Post by Injured Pigeon »

There's absolutely no game on my gaming table where, if someone is having a bad time, they can't concede, this is a standard house rule for all games.

Where is the logic in forcing people to play on and dislike doing so or quit and ruin it for everyone else? Allow them to bow out and move on.
Smutek

Post by Smutek »

I like the idea, the best way to implement it is when conceeding player is instantly replqced by a legend of matching colour!

Return to “Heat: Pedal to the Metal”