Best and Worst Corps discussion

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Draffut

Re: Best and Worst Corps discussion

Post by Draffut »

nanospy wrote: 24 May 2024, 15:29What would it take to make Inventrix good? Methane from Titan might be the best start card, but that only goes so far. It was a cool idea for a corporation but it needs something more.
Good ocean requirement cards like Kelp Farming. Especially with adaptive technology.

AI central with the science tags to get it online quickly.
Akumeidakai

Post by Akumeidakai »

RoyalRook wrote: 24 April 2024, 13:19 Yeah we don’t talk about 4-5 players, they are not real games. This is just for 2-3 players in general.
Got news for you: those are real games. Just because you can't play worth a squirt in that format doesn't invalidate them
Yahyra

Post by Yahyra »

About Inventrix, I think the game designer(s) (Frylexus brothers? apologize if I am butchering their name) have posted (On board game geek?) that they would buff / make more competitive Inventrix by improving the +-2 to stats by like +2 +3 +4 (so +-2. oceans, +- 3 on oxy and 4 on temp?). It certainly seems a weak comp, made much weaker by the 3 random draws which are so volatile. I'd buff it by switching the 3 random card draw to may be "draw 2 card that have global requirements". Imagine getting Kelp farming or such. Good times.
nanospy

Post by nanospy »

Draffut wrote: 25 May 2024, 05:14
nanospy wrote: 24 May 2024, 15:29What would it take to make Inventrix good? Methane from Titan might be the best start card, but that only goes so far. It was a cool idea for a corporation but it needs something more.
Good ocean requirement cards like Kelp Farming. Especially with adaptive technology.

AI central with the science tags to get it online quickly.
But man, adaptive technology is expensive for what it does, especially early in the game. Meanwhile AI central is good for anyone, so this does not say much about Inventrix, except that they have a science tag to start.
Draffut

Post by Draffut »

nanospy wrote: 26 May 2024, 19:50But man, adaptive technology is expensive for what it does, especially early in the game. Meanwhile AI central is good for anyone, so this does not say much about Inventrix, except that they have a science tag to start.
Getting a top tier card like kelp farming out Gen 1 is amazing. Their ability is terrible with heat requirements, But the other two you can make good use of.

AI Central is probably the best card in the game, being able to get it out faster if you draw it in your opener is amazing.

It's not an amazing corp, But those are two situations where it can do well.

It usually gets picked if you don't have the cards for your other corp, like phobolog with no space. So you Hail Mary your three free draws.
nanospy

Post by nanospy »

Draffut wrote: 28 May 2024, 18:34 Getting a top tier card like kelp farming out Gen 1 is amazing.
Agreed, but it requires 6 oceans, which means that even Inventrix + Adaptive Technology won't do the job without help.
Draffut wrote: 28 May 2024, 18:34AI Central is probably the best card in the game, being able to get it out faster if you draw it in your opener is amazing.
I would say it is a strong card, but not the strongest, even in opening hand (earth catapult). For its cost you need 3-4 activations to get decent value, and the requirements mean that isn't always easy. And surely I am not the only player to ever get it down only to draw a stream of crap. It happens! But yeah, still strong on average.
Draffut

Post by Draffut »

nanospy wrote: 28 May 2024, 21:16Agreed, but it requires 6 oceans, which means that even Inventrix + Adaptive Technology won't do the job without help.

I would say it is a strong card, but not the strongest, even in opening hand (earth catapult). For its cost you need 3-4 activations to get decent value, and the requirements mean that isn't always easy. And surely I am not the only player to ever get it down only to draw a stream of crap. It happens! But yeah, still strong on average.
Even in the rare game when oceans don't come out early, a gen 3 kelp farming is still amazing.

Earth catapult is the other contender for best card but I wouldn't put anything else on the level of those two.
max827w

Post by max827w »

am i the only one that's ok with inventrix corp? i played dozen of real and online games and i don't complain if i have to play inventrix
Demonocrat

Post by Demonocrat »

max827w wrote: 29 May 2024, 08:16 am i the only one that's ok with inventrix corp? i played dozen of real and online games and i don't complain if i have to play inventrix
I personally find Inventrix fine. The +2/-2 is meh, but drawing three cards and a built-in science symbol are great features. It's not a heavy hitter Corp, but it works well enough as a generalist. With the right synergies, IC, Phobolog, Minig Corp, Thorgate feel better, but Inventrix doesn't care as much about starting hand synergies.
HighlanderKG

Post by HighlanderKG »

Demonocrat wrote: 29 May 2024, 15:32
max827w wrote: 29 May 2024, 08:16 am i the only one that's ok with inventrix corp? i played dozen of real and online games and i don't complain if i have to play inventrix
I personally find Inventrix fine. The +2/-2 is meh, but drawing three cards and a built-in science symbol are great features. It's not a heavy hitter Corp, but it works well enough as a generalist. With the right synergies, IC, Phobolog, Minig Corp, Thorgate feel better, but Inventrix doesn't care as much about starting hand synergies.
To me after UNMI the weakest corp overall. The value it gives and you mention is just too low. You say its overall fine and can be played as a general corp but the trick is every other corp can do the same. Inventrix is ultra poor and that's the biggest problem. Even if that one tag allows early AI you will struggle to play meaningful cards because of lack of engine.

Return to “Terraforming Mars”