Pattern F is great

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Post Reply
User avatar
Romain672
Posts: 1045
Joined: 05 April 2016, 13:53

Pattern F is great

Post by Romain672 »

Hi,
I played a few games with masters, and I still believe most of them make something I consider to be a (small) mistake.

When having the below hand, doing the green thing is better for me. Playing that last tile the 'normal way' will create three unique path III, which isn't good.

On the other hand doing this create two II, and one F. And F are extremely valuable, because many of the other tiles can be played on it. You can see on the left most of the tiles which goes nicely on it. And most of them are not easy to use.

Note that in some bad cases, you can create a 3-way trap.

So rarely it will backfire to you, but often, you will be able to play one or two complicated tiles on it.


I added that part to the strategy guide, but really, try to do more pattern F, even if you disagree with it, do it when you already have too many I on the board, since having differents pattern is better.
Attachments
bandidotip5.jpg
bandidotip5.jpg (194.3 KiB) Viewed 1226 times
User avatar
LEDave2020
Posts: 7
Joined: 02 May 2020, 21:30

Re: Pattern F is great

Post by LEDave2020 »

I'd never do that, you're just asking for someone to close the single end on the right and the game is totally over!
User avatar
Romain672
Posts: 1045
Joined: 05 April 2016, 13:53

Re: Pattern F is great

Post by Romain672 »

LEDave2020 wrote: 27 March 2023, 12:08I'd never do that, you're just asking for someone to close the single end on the right and the game is totally over!
Wanted to answer nicely but what?
You close the end on the right, and on the rare case your teammate got nothing good, you still got another exit top.

I think you really overestimate the cases where this is bad. See all the tiles I put in orange in my picture? It's for most of them annoying tiles, and they can be played on my pattern.

I checked all cards at the bottom of my post, I got from cards with 3+ exits: 18 excellents, 3good, 6average, 6meh, 12bad, 12 three-way trap, 3 two-way trap.
33 good, 9 neutral, 18 bad.
But remember you kinda have a 6-sized hand, and in many cases can wait some more turns, which can give you often ~10 cards possible.

Telling "I'd never do that" or "I will always do that" just look totally wrong.
If you want to improve but still think what I propose is bad, just do it when you got lots of single exits. When it's the case, adding more single exit decrease a lot in value. So doing differents patterns like that one is great.
Or... Just try it. If you never try something new, you will not see differents playstyle.

.

Let me look at this picture: https://imgur.com/XtgLkwO .
Excellent=great, is far better than usual play (18)
Good=better than usual play (3)
Average=Identical to usual play (6)
Meh=Can be played without risk, is worst than usual play (6)
Bad=Can cause of loss if it's the only pattern left, which is not usually the case (12)
3-way trap: can be played to create a good safe trap (12)
2-way trap: can be played to create a meh safe trap (3)

- left bed: meh
- right bed: excellent
- facebook: excellent
- twitter: average
- crosses: good
- left thorns: excellent
- right thorns: 3-way trap
- bench: excellent
- Hs: bad
- left bear: meh
- righ bear: excellent
- left Js: bad but meh if there is another single exit
- right Js: bad but meh if there is another single exit
- Ts: bad
- left branches: average / 3-way trap
- right branches: 3-way trap
- left fauchets: 3-way trap
- right faucets: excellent
- 2-way tiles: average if there is another single exit
- X-torches: excellent
- Y-torches: 3-way trap
- I-torches / L-torches: 2-way trap
- J-torches: can't be played
- T-Torches: bad
User avatar
LEDave2020
Posts: 7
Joined: 02 May 2020, 21:30

Re: Pattern F is great

Post by LEDave2020 »

How many games have you played / won :lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
Romain672
Posts: 1045
Joined: 05 April 2016, 13:53

Re: Pattern F is great

Post by Romain672 »

LEDave2020 wrote: 07 February 2024, 17:35 How many games have you played / won :lol: :lol: :lol:
My stats tell you nothing because:
- solo games doesn't count into that
- i did lots of experimentations solo, with weird strategy to see what is bad and good, and only keep what i though was good
- i played very high skill cap strategy which require full focus but sometimes i'm just tired/don't want to think that much, but still got fun doing those strategies
- i got a 100 winstreak solo

And your post are one line long, you are not discussing, you are staying in your beliefs and don't try to improve/discuss so...
And again your first post is just non sense, you are making fun of me for no reason and you are wrong since you exagerate things.
User avatar
LEDave2020
Posts: 7
Joined: 02 May 2020, 21:30

Re: Pattern F is great

Post by LEDave2020 »

I'm not trying to be rude or insult your opinion. You are entirely welcome to voice it!
However, with so few games played, it amused me that you found it possible to advise others how to play.
And I am in a very favourable position to comment, as at time of my last game I was #1 in the Bandido tables (until unfortunately they were scrapped).
So, please feel free to continue to make suggestions, as I am free to have an opinion.
All the best, and enjoy your solo games.
User avatar
Wreckage
Posts: 300
Joined: 18 January 2017, 02:10

Re: Pattern F is great

Post by Wreckage »

I like the card the tall way, like you Romain, but I would turn it 180 degrees from how you suggest. Even though the far right path is pretty far away, I always like to aim my paths toward each other. Sometimes surprisingly, they do reach each other.

Here are some other options, though all of these options are nearly equal, except white which is by far the worst choice in my opinion.
Image

Image
Blue, first choice:
Because it makes it easy to close the left side. My plan for next turn would be to play card #3 to the right of blue toward the far right opening, laying it flat with the openings up.

Black, second choice:
Because it’s a messy card, and it’s generally good to get rid of your worst cards first.

Red, third choice:
Because it keeps these openings somewhat near each other and perhaps easy to turn toward each other again.

Yellow, 4th choice:
Like blue, my plan would be to play card #3 to the right of this yellow next turn. I don’t like it as well as blue because the left side is not as easy to close.

White, Never!
In my opinion this is a terrible play. All the openings face different directions.
User avatar
Romain672
Posts: 1045
Joined: 05 April 2016, 13:53

Re: Pattern F is great

Post by Romain672 »

Grmbl, my post got deleted, will rewrite it D:
LEDave2020 wrote: 01 May 2024, 15:08 I'm not trying to be rude or insult your opinion. You are entirely welcome to voice it!
However, with so few games played, it amused me that you found it possible to advise others how to play.
And I am in a very favourable position to comment, as at time of my last game I was #1 in the Bandido tables (until unfortunately they were scrapped).
So, please feel free to continue to make suggestions, as I am free to have an opinion.
All the best, and enjoy your solo games.
I'm totally open to discussion, especially with post like that.
I will just add that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Grah ... ent-en.svg .
Wreckage wrote: 03 May 2024, 10:17
Here is my ranking:
green>black>yellow>blue>red>blue on the right>white

I don't care much about green and black. Green has the upside to have more open area nearby. If the exit was a little closer, I would swap those two.
Blue on the far right is another option but that look worst.

I usually with my hand and the current configuration either try to win or try to create various pattern. Here the hand is really bad, so I would try to create various pattern. And usually I play first my highest number of exits. Here it would be the black one, but the yellow one is the worst 3-exit tile in my opinion, so it look close.

But interesting how you would keep that black for later. I guess you got two similar tiles with it so playing one of them have some value.
User avatar
Wreckage
Posts: 300
Joined: 18 January 2017, 02:10

Re: Pattern F is great

Post by Wreckage »

Romain672 wrote: 03 May 2024, 17:29 I don't care much about green and black.
I agree. I think your original point was how to play this card. Either green or black is fine, and white is worse. So I agree with your original post.

Imagine you are in this position, but it's your partner's turn, not yours. If they play white, and you have to play on it, all your choices are worse. But if they play it like green or black it's fine.
User avatar
Romain672
Posts: 1045
Joined: 05 April 2016, 13:53

Re: Pattern F is great

Post by Romain672 »

Hello quick follow up, I really thing I reached another cap in understanding the game.

What makes the F great is firstly the fact many tiles work well on it during the game: most with a +, one of the two thorns is amazing on it, and many others.

And the fact it's an excellent finisher. Many tiles of 4 exits can be played on it and regularly can create a single exit left if needed.
It let you play a corner torch and create a 3-way trap to try to end.
It let you in bad cases play 6/9 single exits and create a weird corner torch missing.

It's downside is some rare tiles: the T, the T-torch, the H, the U, and the three quarters of an H (potentially combined with the bad single exit). All others tiles are safe. Those 13 (+3) tiles aren't.
(16/69)*(15/68)*(14/67)=1.07%=1/93.6 (remember it's per player, and you often can anticipate cases where this can happen. Personnally I'm taking those odds, even twice or thrice.)


Recently, I started forcing less those F, and more the U (so two single exits next to each other). And it look to work even better. The F is still great, but I believe U+U is better than F+I atm (I:single exit).

The U has the advantage to make any 3/4 tiles be able to be played on it, can be close by two single exits in worst case. It's just a worst finisher since you end it more normally, so have less options. But it's easier to create.

https://imgur.com/XtgLkwO

And so now I try to keep in hand those tiles (one copy max)(which let you manage easily the transformation of I, U and F into another one, and can adapt a lot to your hand, the board, and how played your teammate and what they seem to have): single corner torch >>> F > faucets (if exits aren't too far from each other) > Fancy J (if there is many U present, I keep the worst option to transform a U into I) > single exit (which mean in many cases I don't keep a single exit in hand, and I don't advise it)
Furthermore, there is a bunch of tiles where as soon as I got a good place to play them I do (since I consider keeping them in hand is a downside): H > T-torch > U > all 2-ways tiles > Fancy J (to play them on a single exit)
And so what's remaining are: 1/2 beds, facebook, twitter, crosses, 1/2 thorns, bench, branches which play well on the F. If there is no F and I dont plan to win soon, I play them asap.
The bad bed can be played on an exit solo to reopen the game nicely (since the 3-exits are close).
And we are left with the bad thorns on the F, and the T which I try to play asap too.
I got the instinct that the worst tiles where H (because it's rarely positive), T, and thorns a while ago, and I totally agree with that new post and more experience.


I can't do a short post on bandido :(
Post Reply

Return to “Bandido”