situation to comm the low insdead of high for rocket on the commed suit

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
tt_doc_txt

situation to comm the low insdead of high for rocket on the commed suit

Post by tt_doc_txt »

This happened twice recently so I think maybe good to clarify my thought here:

In general conventions, if we need to use rocket to trump a high card in suit, we comm our highest card below task card, so we announce that we could not win in suit and would trump after the commend card is dropped.
i.e. if we need to win p9 and I have p26, I would comm p6 and drop p2 first.

for certain situations, its better to comm the low instead,
as general: in all situation that all player already know we don't have that high task card, its better to comm the low so we don't end up of winning with that commend card and cant switch lead.

including:
- during mission cant win with 9 and task is 9
- the high comm has already made by another player (such as a p89 comm already there)
- extend to deep sea: task winning a p7 with sub and task winning g9 with sub
pjt33

Re: situation to comm the low insdead of high for rocket on the commed suit

Post by pjt33 »

Certainly there are cases where it makes sense to comm the low card, but I'm not sure I understand the particular rationale of your scenario. If your hand is such that it's going to be hard to lose the lead, I'd be worried about being forced to lead away your lowest card in the relevant suit and hope that it doesn't run into the high card you're trying to win.
tt_doc_txt

Post by tt_doc_txt »

I will take an example:
if I was captain and I took a p9 task in the mission that one cant win with a 9, then 'I dont have p9 in hand' would be a common knowledge without comm.
in that case, if I have p27 in hand, I think its better to comm p2 not p7, and I would lead p7 first.

if p9 becomes solo after first pink trick, the player holding p9 would comm after first pink trick regardless how how commed.

my aim here exactly is not on 'hard to lose lead', but on 'to save unnecessary tricks of changing lead'. because if I comm p7 and lead p2 first, then I gain lead with p7, there will be at least one additional trick needed to give lead out again.
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

My actual interpretation would be that you got no card in one of the three others colors.

If you got two pinks, you could still comm high.
But if you got three, if you got p268 comm p8 is annoying. You would like to play p6>p8>p2, and if you discard p8, you instead play p6>p2, and after p6 others got no infos anymore, so that's annoying.

But getting p9 with p268 is still pretty rare.

(Don't have much experience at 5p, but from some theory I have done some years ago, that post look a great comm for 5p)
Tuut Tuut tis Luut

Post by Tuut Tuut tis Luut »

If you're wanting to rocket a 9. I'd say you don't need the "don't win with 9" mission at all.

Unless there's other tasks in the same color, there would be no other reason at all to comm your 1 in your 9's suit. And there's no cards above the 9 anyways, so comming to let your crew know you don't have the 9 is enough.

But it can be very beneficial, and even crucial. If you have 18 for example. If you comm the 8, then dump the 1 first, you're going to get stuck with the lead with your 8. And need an extra trick to lose it before you can rocket.

You want to dump your highest first, so players with cards left in that suit can keep the lead.
Tuut Tuut tis Luut

Post by Tuut Tuut tis Luut »

Forgot to add above: you don't actually need the crew to know for sure you don't have the 9. Only need the person with the 9 to know you're not void in the suit. Then they won't play it.

Also means you could extend that logic further to 8s and such. If the 9 is already commed/someone else's task.

Return to “The Crew: The Quest for Planet Nine”