End game strategy question

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Cos-

End game strategy question

Post by Cos- »

A second winter card has been drawn, and you're behind - but not that far behind that you can't catch up.

Do you prioritize playing the cards you have, or from the clearing, in the best way you can to get more points, even if you don't have very effective cards in hand right now? Or, if the cards you can see (hand and clearing) aren't very strong for you, do you take the risk of drawing fresh cards from the deck hoping for something that'll give you a lot more points?
Emberwood

Re: End game strategy question

Post by Emberwood »

Hmm I think in that situation I would do the play that gave me the most points up front, but also maybe something that drew cards as well like a beech marten or an owl so I could cycle my hand...maybe even play something with an extra turn if possible before that? The alpine goat thing that gets rid of 3 to get a new turn is a great hand cycler. That way your putting points down but hoping to get something better at the same time rather than purely drawing blind.
Cos-

Post by Cos- »

Emberwood wrote: 13 June 2024, 11:39 Hmm I think in that situation I would do the play that gave me the most points up front, but also maybe something that drew cards as well like a beech marten or an owl so I could cycle my hand...maybe even play something with an extra turn if possible before that? The alpine goat thing that gets rid of 3 to get a new turn is a great hand cycler. That way your putting points down but hoping to get something better at the same time rather than purely drawing blind.
Do you prepare in advance for that situation, by keeping several extra cards in your had that either have take another turn or draw a card as effects?

If you don't prepare, then most likely if you find yourself in that situation near the end, you won't have cards like that - or maybe you'll have one, but you'll likely be faced with the same situation the following turn.
Lawton

Post by Lawton »

In this case i try and draw or play cards that draw in order to try and find a super high impact card like wolf/fallow deer or a multiplier effect for my build like the butterfly plant. There is no point spending time a few points behind your opponent for the rest of the game, you must gamble and try to get a few points ahead and then be lucky to draw the last card. Ideally both in one turn by something like wolf, fox, or the pink alpine tree. If you play medium impact cards you should have no expectation of catching up because your opponent will be doing the same at the very least.
HeavyMedal

Post by HeavyMedal »

I definitely always put points first, even though it means going down to few cards. Lost a few games with a few points behind and 30-40 cards left, and learnt my lesson!

Return to “Forest Shuffle”