Directly messaging players

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
starkrush

Directly messaging players

Post by starkrush »

Hi,

As sheriff I had a player directly message me that they were vice. They said it was allowed, as per /forum/viewtopic.php?t=25763. However, this does not as far as I see cover direct messages, they messaged me privately not in all chat. This feels like cheating but wanted to check!
kuzestanx

Re: Directly messaging players

Post by kuzestanx »

In my company, people at the beginning of the game discreetly wink at the sheriff to show that they are vice. I don’t consider this cheating, since both my company and the BGA players can bluff.
I don't play like this myself, though.
wwomack

Post by wwomack »

It feels a little inappropriate and distasteful but I'm not sure it would be considered cheating. I would rather that type of communication be on the open game channel just like it would be in real life.

The big problem with that type of message is that it very well could be a bluff. It's just as likely that it's the Renegade messaging you instead of the Deputy. Or, it's an Outlaw who just wants a round or two to build up some strength.
starkrush

Post by starkrush »

I would like a developer clarification on this. The reason I think it is not acceptable is that it is not possible to do this in real life at a game of bang. You could whisper something to the person next to you, but there is a chance for this to be spotted when you do it, whereas it is not possible to spot direct messages on BGA.

Someone could still e.g. direct message on their phone, and maybe the rules don't "ban" that, but it's clearly against the spirit of the game, imo, independent of whether it's a bluff or not
Waspq

Post by Waspq »

Even if the developer says it's not okay nothing would change. No one would enforce it just like no one can enforce people discussing cards. Best you can do in my opinion is politely tell them back that it's not okay to do it or give them red thumbs because if they are telling you their role in DM you can be certain they are also telling other people in other games.
KuWizard

Post by KuWizard »

That's correct, developers cannot enforce people to use or not to use BGA chat and/or private messages. So even if they declare something in this topic - this won't stop people who sent personal messages to not send them.
Secondly, we as developers implement game rules. We are not in charge of saying if players can or cannot do anything. If game designer or game publisher says it is allowed - we implement this in the code. If this is not in the rules - who are devs to decide? We are coders, not those who make rules
dave_w

Post by dave_w »

Since it can't be done in person I just repeat any private messages I receive to the table. Haven't had a good reaction from the person sending the private message but hopefully it stops anyone from trying to message me in private in the future. I'd rather people didn't private message in team games but it's far from the worst form of collusion I've seen in bang.

Return to “Bang”