Are we ever going to change the system to stop hurting honest players vs quitters?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
RazorOz

Re: Are we ever going to change the system to stop hurting honest players vs quitters?

Post by RazorOz »

Like if you ever wanted to know just how bad an epidemic this is at Heat. Since I returned to playing open games, I played 30 games, 6 ended with someone quitting, pretty much every single one I had won, and this is just typical numbers. And this is with me having a block list of what must be > 100 players by now, reputation set to max, though for whatever reason the system seems to split the game into a high rep game and any rep game after a while, but it's still just ludicrous.
bludgeon

Re: Are we ever going to change the system to stop hurting honest players vs quitters?

Post by bludgeon »

Tisaac wrote: 12 April 2024, 10:13
sanchochili wrote: 09 April 2024, 21:59 Agreed. Please fix this. My suggestion for those that leave (or are kicked for time expiring) is to either turn them into legends and automate their moves or just have them be last on the podium. Either way it shouldn't affect people gaining elo and if it happens after someone crosses the finish line, that has to be okay right? It literally just happened where I crossed the finish line and "won" but hadn't taken the podium yet (table 497862162) and the player went offline and never came back and was kicked out, which affects everyone's potential elo and just feels like a waste of time for some of us. It also affects that player's reputation and they are fairly new to BGA anyway, they probably thought it was okay to leave since someone crossed the finish line.
If someone cross the finish Line, players have a give up option so that's not a real argument IMO.
As for kicked players, as said before nothing can be done by us game devs, it would require a change in the bga framework
I don't believe this is accurate. The option to give up doesn't appear until the end of the entire round in which the first person crosses the finish line. I have had this same scenario happen to me -- everyone who is going to cross the finish line that turn has done so, there is one last person who will be clearly in last place, but they quit before taking their turn. Game ends the same as if they bailed on turn 1.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

bludgeon wrote: 28 June 2024, 00:02
Tisaac wrote: 12 April 2024, 10:13
sanchochili wrote: 09 April 2024, 21:59 Agreed. Please fix this. My suggestion for those that leave (or are kicked for time expiring) is to either turn them into legends and automate their moves or just have them be last on the podium. Either way it shouldn't affect people gaining elo and if it happens after someone crosses the finish line, that has to be okay right? It literally just happened where I crossed the finish line and "won" but hadn't taken the podium yet (table 497862162) and the player went offline and never came back and was kicked out, which affects everyone's potential elo and just feels like a waste of time for some of us. It also affects that player's reputation and they are fairly new to BGA anyway, they probably thought it was okay to leave since someone crossed the finish line.
If someone cross the finish Line, players have a give up option so that's not a real argument IMO.
As for kicked players, as said before nothing can be done by us game devs, it would require a change in the bga framework
I don't believe this is accurate. The option to give up doesn't appear until the end of the entire round in which the first person crosses the finish line. I have had this same scenario happen to me -- everyone who is going to cross the finish line that turn has done so, there is one last person who will be clearly in last place, but they quit before taking their turn. Game ends the same as if they bailed on turn 1.
Crossing the finish line means going on the podium so yeah it's only once that turn is over.
DrRockenheimer

Post by DrRockenheimer »

Just considering "turn-based" non-tournament games ... although this is a problem with Heat, I believe that site-wide, there should be a relatively mild karma penalty for running out of clock, but opponents should not be able to skip players for relatively short time deficits. Right now there is NO detriment (rating or reputation) for a losing player to deliberately ruin a game and avoid a loss in this way (other than getting red thumbed, which I absolutely recommend doing systematically, which at least is better than nothing). A player who runs out of clock in a turn-based game is only delaying the end of the game, but is not wasting anybody else's time as in a "real-time" game.

Return to “Heat: Pedal to the Metal”