What are your favorite / least favorite tickets?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
speedypuzzlement

What are your favorite / least favorite tickets?

Post by speedypuzzlement »

Just for fun!

My favorite is LA to Chicago (16 points) because I have family living in those cities. Plus it has a weighty point count and you can get to it through Helena or Omaha plus Phoenix or Oklahoma City or even Santa Fe. I also like Denver to El Paso (4 points), Duluth to El Paso (10 points), and Helena to LA (8 points) because they mix well with a lot of other tickets and can trigger the final round quickly.

Least favorite ticket would have to be Boston to Miami (12 points) because it takes so many turns, roots you to the East Coast, and can't be ignored like Denver to El Paso (4 points). I also dislike SF to Atlanta (17 points) because going for LA to SF (3 trains) and Houston to New Orleans (2 trains) makes me nervous.

Bonus would have to be Vancouver to Montreal (20 points) plus Seattle to NY (22 points), just because you can end the game in 30 turns with 42 continuous trains and 142 points (https://boardgamearena.com/table?table=509849163).
ExaltedAngel

Re: What are your favorite / least favorite tickets?

Post by ExaltedAngel »

Since I guess the point of the thread is to talk about personal preferences more than tickets "valuableness" which is pretty much objective, I'd say my least favourite is Portland-Nashville (17), I really dislike it even if it's not so bad as many others. Boston-Miami is also one of my least favourites, but that's mostly because it's bad.

My favourite is probably Duluth-El Paso (10)
speedypuzzlement

Yeah, that's fair. I can never figure out a clean way to fill Portland to Nashville unless I also have LA to Miami (in which case it's obvious). I also somewhat dislike Sault St. Marie to Nashville (8 points) just because I frequently confuse it with Sault St. Marie to Oklahoma City (9 points).

Addendum: LA to Miami (20 points) seems to encourage action (tense waiting / blocking / escaping) more than any other.
admitted

Post by admitted »

Favorite: Calgary Phoenix, least favorite: Boston Miami
Alvarilan

Post by Alvarilan »

My favorite I guess is Duluth Houston or Duluth el Paso, because you can build a route like a snake in the center, plus yo can get two six sections (orange and green) for more points
My least favorite is Kansas Houston. Is horrible, if you go to Kansas, you don´t have any other section with 3+ cards to continue your route.
speedypuzzlement

Alvarilan wrote: 31 May 2024, 17:24 My least favorite is Kansas Houston. Is horrible, if you go to Kansas, you don´t have any other section with 3+ cards to continue your route.
That is very true. I've never found a case where I would prefer Kansas-Houston over Denver-El Paso. There is a decently efficient route (Houston to El Paso to Oklahoma City to Kansas City to Omaha to Helena) but it's vulnerable to blocks.
james1974

Post by james1974 »

speedypuzzlement wrote: 16 May 2024, 18:23 Just for fun!

My favorite is LA to Chicago (16 points) because I have family living in those cities. Plus it has a weighty point count and you can get to it through Helena or Omaha plus Phoenix or Oklahoma City or even Santa Fe. I also like Denver to El Paso (4 points), Duluth to El Paso (10 points), and Helena to LA (8 points) because they mix well with a lot of other tickets and can trigger the final round quickly.

Least favorite ticket would have to be Boston to Miami (12 points) because it takes so many turns, roots you to the East Coast, and can't be ignored like Denver to El Paso (4 points). I also dislike SF to Atlanta (17 points) because going for LA to SF (3 trains) and Houston to New Orleans (2 trains) makes me nervous.

Bonus would have to be Vancouver to Montreal (20 points) plus Seattle to NY (22 points), just because you can end the game in 30 turns with 42 continuous trains and 142 points (https://boardgamearena.com/table?table=509849163).
miami to LA plus montreal - vancouver can also be excellent, two seperate trains, 6 routes of 6 carriages, but it's high risk.
speedypuzzlement

james1974 wrote: 17 June 2024, 02:08 miami to LA plus montreal - vancouver can also be excellent, two seperate trains, 6 routes of 6 carriages, but it's high risk.
That's definitely high risk! I feel nervous going for LA to Miami even when my other ticket is something like NY to Atlanta ...
ahminus

Post by ahminus »

Can't believe no one mentioned it: Helena <-> Los Angeles.

Only route utilizing Helena, and I know if I'm taking that card, I'm likely to lose.

Toronto <-> Charleston a close second.
Fourier_Haar

Post by Fourier_Haar »

My favorite is the combination of NYC-Seattle and Vancouver-Montreal. It's easy to accomplish two long routes with only 4 extra trains.

My least favorite is Kansas City-Houston, it takes three steps to build the route and the reward is low.

Return to “Ticket to Ride”