The ultimate?? CIV Ranking

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
hertztoomuch

The ultimate?? CIV Ranking

Post by hertztoomuch »

I’m no expert, there are MANY who are way better than me at the game and who can figure things out seamlessly, however, I am attempting to rank the civs. Instead of saying “s” or “a” tier, etc. I think labeling them alphabetically and rating them based on the four pillars of complexity that BGA uses will be fair as a baseline. I will also say how I feel they play at 2 players vs. 3+. And how the stack being a civ pull either through M12 or Tech card. I will give my opinion for some but feel free to argue :)
These include the latest iterations (experimental) and not the official civ packs released this past year.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advisors -
Complexity - 1 out of 5. Advisors is easy to use and understand. Remembering to try and have more than 4 tapestry cards for that extra resource may become an afterthought.

Strategy - 3 out of 5. Knowing which tapestry cards to give up, and which cards are still up to draw can ultimately help. Seeing someone going up on military track and withholding trap cards from them can help secure the conquer accomplishment.

Luck - 4 out of 5. Nothing is more frustrating than pulling less than favorable tapestry cards. Although this allows you to cycle through more tapestry cards it doesn’t guarantee you’ll get the most favorable cards. With your opponents still gaining a tapestry card every era. Luck may see them get those favorable tapestries then and you having no control on taking them.

Interaction - 5 out of 5. You control the majority of the tapestry cards in the game.

Overall - 4 out 5. Advisors seems to be a popular pick. Whether it works in your favor or not is mainly luck based more than anything.

2 players - well-balanced. You feel more secure assuming they don’t have the card you want.

3 players - more chances for those tapestry cards to slip through your hands but still plays the same.

Late game pull - Strategy comes into play when thinking about which cards to give to opponents if they’re still in game and haven’t advanced to the final era. aside from that, 15 points is great end game, not much else to it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alchemists
Complexity - 3 out of 5 - definitely depends on the version being used but sometimes rolling and remembering what was already rolled can cause you to unintentionally bust. The die in the game are sometimes glitched out or your screen on your phone doesn’t display it. You could always stop rolling and then choose which track you want to move up on, and undo to see if your track is there before confirming.

Strategy - 3 out of 5 - knowing when to go on to the next era, (usually when you’re in the 3rd, 6th, or 9th position of a track) can sometimes lead to others advancing eras before you to take a those resources. The good thing is that you’re awarded SOMETHING if you bust, unless you bust on a track you have yet to advance on.

Luck - 5 out of 5 - we all know the RNG on these die rolls are NOT normal. Science die tends to favor science track, conquer die tends to favor hex acquire side. But, if you set yourself up strategically, sometimes every roll is a roll that’s worth it.

Interaction - 1 out of 5 - besides racing to win the track, theirs not much you can do or others can do to stop your civ from working.

Overall - 3 out of 5 - This can be an insanely powerful civ if you get all your rolls right. Nothing is better than reaching s12 end game and then busting allowing you to make 2 extra turns or being m,e,s 11 and reaching the end of track. T11-12 is a bit more meh since you can’t use those resources but, unless end of track achievements haven’t been acquired yet, not as strong.

Any player count - well-balanced. You’ll just be fighting more for track lead. But plays the same.

Late game pull - it’s good to think of it as an extra end game turn but theirs not much else to it.

Aliens[\b]
Complexity - 2 out of 5. Remembering to save a resource era 2 onwards can sometimes led to not being able to utilize a hex, although you’ll be rewarded a resource instead. Not being able to use the “replace tapestry card” hex should be adjusted where as you can play 2 (like gamblers) but because of how the order goes, it becomes an invalid hex.

Strategy - 4 out of 5. Depending on which hex you pull should influence which tracks you go up in. If you do decide to continue going up exploration, remembering 4 out of the 15 hexes are already claimed is required knowledge.

Luck - 3 out of 5. Which hex you get is all RNG. Although we like to say some are better than other, it’s free help- whether income building, advancement on track, points, or tech card/upgrade-that can go a long way.

Interaction - 2 out of 5. Only because of the slim chance that your opponent may have spies, would I consider this a 2 out of 5.

Overall - 3 out of 5. Although Space tiles are powerful and guarantee points-some would even argue more powerful than pulling a new civ or repeating track e11 vs m12-Aliens seems just be missing SOMETHING to make it a top tier civ.

Any player count- plays the same

Lat game pull - a free end game move

Architects[\b]
Complexity - 3 out of 5. Although the idea of filling a 9x9 grid with the same income buildings (including landmarks) for double the resources, or a row and column including the same income for double the points per era round, is easy to understand. The complexity comes in know the layout of which landmarks should go where and which income buildings should go where to optimize both resources gained and points made. Often, this players don’t think about having a landmark half off your capital city, covering only a few spaces and leaving enough to fill the rest with one type of income building.

Strategy - 4 out of 5 - knowing when to move up certain tracks in order to gain landmarks is very important. Your tech cards should be those awarding income buildings or extra landmarks. Sometimes racing up one track can cause other players to move ahead on another you were eyeing, resulting in a lost landmark. Let’s not even get started on dystopia + espionage + heralds combo.

Luck - 3 out of 5. This MIGHT be considered higher for some only because there are so many tapestry cards that can ruin you. But those same cards could fall into your hands and help you. So a think a 3 is fair.

Interaction - 2 out of 5. Again, aside from racing up a track, interaction is low until you’re screwed over.

Overall - 4 out of 5. Theirs a reason architects leads to high end game scores. Just be cautious with it.

2 player- a bit easier. Seeing which two tracks your opponent goes up allows you to claim the landmarks from the other 2 tracks.

3+ - good luck getting a least a whole set of landmarks from a track. Focus on tech cards when possible.

Late game pull- aside from rearranging to maximize points, you’ll seldom by able to isolate an income building where 1 more is available and you’re able to fill it in for double resource.

Chosen[\b]
Complexity - 5 out of 5. To be able to pull off ALL benefits you’ll need to have a lot of luck because of the amount of complexity it takes to one up your opponents. In all my games, I probably pulled it off once.

Strategy - 4 out of 5. if you go first, decide what’s best for your gameplay style, go up tech, take out a grey income building from t5 plus the first two in the science track. Or if you decide to explore and conquer reach that island first, then hope someone else is placing down towers to conquer. And hope that you have traps, and hope they don’t have traps, and hope they don’t have pillage and plunder. The only other “difficult” requirement to obtain is 6 of same resource if your opponent skips era before you.

Luck- 5 out of 5. As the memo said before, a particular tapestry card and set of events can stop you from obtaining the rewards. It becomes even worst in 3+ players when end of track, island, and conquer 2 accomplishments are limited and more players are vying for them. This is definitely a civ that gained a HUGE improvement with the revised pack and one I hope they implement soon.

Interaction - 4 out of 5. For reasons stated above.

Overall - 2 out of 5. Seldom do I see this civ shine. It’s only celebrated in one occasion which I’ll list below.

2 players- palatable. Still hope your opponent places towers for you to be able to conquer.

3+ - stressful. The 2 conquer achievement is more obtainable but also the race for everything becomes more stress inducing.

Late game pull - this is where this civ shines. Being able to be rewarded for every achievement you’ve already accomplished is amazing. And since it wasn’t your starting CIV other players aren’t naturally trying to block you from achieving them. May be frustrating when you just sold 3 tech cards for 10 points and then pull this, but still worth it in most cases.

Collectors[\b]
Complexity - 1 out of 5. Get the things asked for and place them on your mat.

Strategy - 1 out of 5. You can’t really blame anyone for not being able to get what’s needed.

Luck - 0 out of 5. You should be able to get what you need.

Interaction - 1 out of 5. Unless you never reach a landmark. Everything else is obtainable.

Overall - 2 out of 5. The influx of resources is AMAZING! This civ allows you to reach far into a track within your first era, HOWEVER, the end game points DO NOT stack up to what you’ll be earning. Let’s add up everything you’re giving up to see the points lost vs the end game points. To be fair they’ll be the amount of points you can receive beginning of the game when most give them up for the resources.
Conquer action - anywhere from 2-7 points
Hex - 2-4 points
Tapestry - 0 pts
Tech - 1-3 pts
Grey income - 1-3 pts
Landmark - assuming we’re giving up the first 2x2 landmark - 12 points. (Completed row+column+3x multiplier)
Up to 27 points for only 21 end game points. I know we tend to give up 15 points for 3 resources. Is 27 for 6 worth it? I think rewarding the amount of points you’ve unlocked each era would make this more well-balanced. Food for though- Isolationist gives you 4 resources and 23 points plus whatever the conquer die roll was…

Any player count- plays the same

Late game pull - might get a resource or two out of it, depending how far up the track you already are. We already know the bug on m12 doesn’t allow that conquer action to be usable.

Craftsman[\b]
Complexity - 1 out of 5. Place the income building on a spot to get the rewards.

Strategy - 4 out of 5. 35 points plus bonuses including resources is enticing. But knowing when to start building your capital city to maximize your points is very important. 54+ points for building your capital city might out weigh your speeding up a track. Just plan it out carefully.

Luck - 2 out of 5. aside from the science roll as a bonus on one of the tracks. You shouldn’t have to rely on luck for this one.

Interaction - 1 out of 5. You might see yourself racing your opponents if they happen to move up the same track as you. The extra resources help.

Overall - 3 out of 5. Probably the civ I have the most love hate relationship with. It’s won me many games and felt weak in others.

Any player count - plays the same. But a focus on landmarks should be made to make up for the income buildings what you’ll be missing out on in your capital city.

Late game pull - complete garbage. Slim chance of you still having or wanting to place buildings on this civ. Focus on middle track would probably be most successfully for the free tech and upgrade if it can be reached. Should be one of those “discard if pulled” but the revised pack does tend to fix the issue.

Entertainers[\b]
Complexity - 1 out of 5. Move your token to the right at the beginning of each era.

Strategy - 3 out of 5. You have to be adaptable. You’re given two choice each era (except the first) and if you see your opponent is going up the same track as you in a faster pace, know how to adapt to reach a different final track destination.

Luck - 1 out of 5. The science die roll and the tech acquirement might put some luck into play. I think the science die roll shouldn’t be “x” out that late into the game. Let the player have the benefit to match other civs with similar rewards.

Interaction - 2 out of 5. Those last set of bonuses may help you advance further than your opponent when you’re low on resources.

Overall- 3 out of 5. I feel like entertainers used to be the rich man merrymakers before the adjustments and now they’ve become the poor man’s merrymakers. Still fun to play with and experiment but I see a lot of the same bonuses be used no matter who the player is (any resource, grey income, tech,-)

Any Player count - plays the same

Late game pull - has the potential to be game breaking. Being so late into the game and scarce in resources AND THEN be able to move up any one track one time is awesome. Or pull off that final income building for 10 points, or even a tech card with a good benefit or your opponents have ended their game and you can now conquer them + the middle isles is 15 points.

Futurists[\b]
Complexity - 4 out of 5. An average player may see free advancement on 2 tracks plus resources is a godsend but not strategizing right on how to make up for those last income buildings can be detrimental in the long run.

Strategy - 5 out of 5. As mentioned, resources are missing each and every era advancement for those tracks where you skipped claiming them. Make sure you know how to make up for them.

Luck - 1 out of 5. A common place to go first is S4 and see what those science die give you. But better players know what the real strategy is and don’t rely on this method.
Pulling dark ages as your starting tapestry with this is a great combo.

Interaction - 2 out of 5. Extra resources equals a better opportunity to reach landmarks. Just play it wisely.

Overall - 3 out of 5. We can all agree the first print was OP. This one is like flavor text but still okay to play with. Don’t see it chosen as a starting civ often unless it’s a newer player who’ allows the glitz and glam to get to them.

Any player count - plays through same

Late game pull - YES PLEASE! Advancement plus 2 free resources. Please and thank you.

Gamblers[\b]
Complexity - 2 out of 5. The way BGA forces you to draw your card and then were they’re displayed might be a bit confusing to come players. I only play on my phone and having to scroll up might not be ideal for newer players to find their cards.

Strategy - 1 out of 5. You’re dealt what you’re dealt.

Luck - 5 out of 5. My curse with this CIV is that when I have it I get nothing good from it but when I play against it, every OP tapestry card you can think of is drawn.

Interaction- 3 out of 5. Those pulls can change the outcome of the game.

Overall - 4 out of 5. Really fun, but can also be frustrating to play with. The extra 4 tapestry cards help no matter what. Can lead to deadly combos.

Any player count - plays the same

Late game pull - depends on how late of a game. Could be useless.

Heralds[\b]
Complexity - 3 out of 5. Having to click on the card you want and then remembering it’s only certain types of cards can be confusing. Remembering that the first card you play on maker of fire has no effect now can be frustrating for players not coming into the experimental civs.

Strategy - 4 out of 5. Knowing when to play a card. And how to benefit most from the card is crucial and effective. 4 times dictatorship/ dystopia thanks to espionage- yes please!

Luck - 4 out of 5. The amount of times herald has failed me. Not only cause of the cards I drew but also because an expert player knows which types of cards to play so you get no benefit from them is important.

Interaction - 5 out of 5. Again, stopping another player from playing a tapestry card for fear that you might benefit from it makes this civ highly interactive.

Overall - 4 out of 5. There are games where this is a complete failure, but those are few and far between.

2 players - slim chances to rely on others

3+ players - you’re bound to find some goodies in the bag

Late game pull - usually an extra move end game. From great line trade economy , to okay like dictatorship/oil magnate/ 10 points trap.

Historians[\b]
Complexity - 4 out of 5. Making sure you have a hex token to give out, plus timing makes this more complex than it should. Remembering each bonus is awarded no matter who has least one cube. Remembering for most cases, one cube will never come into play.

Strategy - 4 out of 5. For same reasons stated in complexity. But also, more so one playing with multiple players. Do you go for the landmarks yourself or all the goodies you get for allowing them to take them.

Luck - 1 out of 5. Just give them the cube.

Interaction - 5 out of 5. Just give them the cube at the most convenient time, try and take the extra resources by advancing to the next era and make sure the order of which you give up the cubes is optimized.

Overall- 4 out of 5. Like futurist, the original printing of this civ was OP. Now it’s a bit more balanced but not as exciting.

2 player - easier to determine who will get which landmark

3+ player - try and reach some landmarks at least.

Late game pull - iffy. Sometimes you’re not even awarded the civ since it then becomes too OP. Other times theirs no more landmarks to get in game and this becomes useless.

[b]Infiltrators[\b]
Complexity - 2 out of 5. Place a cube every era on an enemy starting outposts. gain the number of points based on unused outposts. Once 3 are placed, chose a new civ. You get to draw one of 3 options.

Strategy - 4 out of 5. Aiming to get maximum points (by targeting someone not moving up the military track) and doing it quiet swiftly to earn a new civ is key. Prolonging this civ may be a detriment.

Luck - 3 out of 5. Which civs you pull is the luck base. Depending on the mode you’re playing with (only P&P and A&A or All) can adjust the luck level. Pulling 3 civs and 2 of them being islanders and riverfolk allows you to press your luck further and deny that one once chosen and pick another one.

Overall - 3 out of 5. An okay civ with a high probability of obtaining a new civ. The points awarded are high, (can be up to 32) and the suspense of what you’ll pull makes this a fun civ.

All player counts - aside from options on who to give your cube to for points, they all play the same

Late game pull - 7 points maximum if lucky.

[b]Inventors[\b]
Complexity - 1 out of 5. See the tech card. Claim the tech card. Upgrade an additional tech card each era. First one allows you to override prerequisites.

Strategy - 4 out of 5. We all know the top 3 cards were shuffling for. Can be ultra successful when hit allowing you to draw multiple civs in era 2. Strategically, aim for that. But have plan b, c, and d ready to go at any time.

Luck - 5 out of 5. Sometimes it’s right there in the opening hand and you just don’t go first. Sometimes your first and you pull and it’s the next one up that’s displayed.

Interactive- 5 out of 5. People love to go up tech regardless if inventors is playing. It’s the most popular track. So allowing you to upgrade one of their techs makes it extra interactive.

Overall - 4 out of 5. Can be a low 3 if your luck is bad. But overall. Haven’t seen this civ not be somewhat successful.

2 players - ok
3 + players - beware for steals but also more options

Late game pull - might be beneficial if someone hasn’t been able to accomplish any of the big tech cards.

[b]Islanders[\b]
Complexity- 3 out of 5. Knowing that you can place on the board or your civ card when exploring and then only on your civ card once per era is a new mechanic. The scoring is a bit wonky and hard to grasp. It limits those strong income buildings from being placed if you want the Maximum points.

Strategy - 4 out of 5. Finding the right hexes to place for maximum points by matching your islands terrain is usually only 1 or 2 points. Taking that into consideration, 30+ points, end game by filling your civ up correctly is okay. But placing them on the board may lead to extra resources once conquered.

Luck - 3 out of 5. There are A LOT of hexes, but as with isolationists, sometimes the matches never come.

Interaction - 0 out of 5. It’s a lonely island for a reason.

Overall - 2 out of 5. Don’t see this civ played often and seems kinda weak. An extra resource each era is great but doesn’t put it above many other civs.

Any player count - plays the same

Late game pull - aside from the points, pretty average. Place up to 4 hexes for maximum of 20 points we’ll say. Gaining the bonus of what you play would make it better. Why this allows you to discard and draw again while others don’t baffles me.

[b]Isolationist[\b]
Complexity - 3 out of 5. The amount of players I’ve seen who thought it just had to be 6 outposts adjacently from each other. Terrain isn’t something to think about except for exploring for points so it’s sometimes overlooked.

Strategy - 4 out of 5. It’s easy enough, most of the times, to align 6 terrain. It’s just about place and conquering and deciding if securing the middle isles for 10 points is better than the 9 points for having 6 vs 5. But most of the times it’s an additional 10 points on top of the 40.

Luck - 4 out of 5. Location, location, location. Some starting hexes are better than others, unfortunately. And where your opponent is placed adjacent to you can come into play if they’re playing strategic and try and block you off from achieving like terrain. There are times when the hexes you pull just don’t match at all and then you’re SOL.

Interaction - 2 out of 5. if you can control early game, low interaction. If you’re struggling more interaction. Warships is always something to have to look out for so they don’t attack from anywhere and knock out one of our outposts.

Overall - 4 out of 5. Mainly successful. Haven’t seen too many people who can’t pull it off. With a focus on military and exploration, you may end up short on tech on science, but your civ pull on M12 can help you out.

2 players - good
3 players - okay
4+ players - harder to match but you can an extra cube to block.

Late game pull - assuming you pulled from M12, usually an extra resource. Not bad to rack up a few extra points but don’t expect the full 40.

[b]Leaders[\b]
Complexity - 1 out of 5. Just remember you can’t claim bonuses from advancing.

Strategy- 3 out of 5. counter intuitive to move up all tracks to try and get the most out of this civ. Unless racing for a landmark, sometimes trashing a track you’re not going up to save the one you are going up to and get more saved resources from them is best.

Luck - 1 out of 5. Simple sample zoom

Interaction - 2 out of 5. Again, unless racing. You’re a free bird.

Overall - 3 out of 5. I think this is the recommended civ to play with for your first game and it’s apparent why.

Plays the same in all players.

Late game pull - free move end game (usually) or 2 free moves if pulled early enough

[b]Merrymakers[\b]
Complexity - 3 out of 5. Its complexity falls within the strategy being used. See below.

Strategy - 5 out of 5. Where to place your starting cubes, which bonuses are more beneficial. Ending the game with the extra capital city fillage points. A lot of ways to play this. Usually a good civ for expert players.

Luck - 1 out of 5. Again die roll and tech cards are a bonus to be had. Unlike entertainers, I agree this shouldn’t be a benefited science roll since it can be achieved more than once.

Interaction- 3 out of 5. With the potential to conquer, take techs, and advance (without benefit) this becomes quite interactive.

Overall - 3 out of 5. A jack of all trades. A huge improvement from its initial printing. Can cause wreckage when used correctly.

Plays the same in all player counts.

Late game pull - deciding where to place your cubes is helpful, but most popular places, if your map if completely full, it can be 18 points and a tech or conquer action.

[b]Militants[\b]
Complexity - 3/4 out of 5. Timing is everything. And if you’re last, or second against someone trying to screw up your strategy, the complexity of this civ goes up. Aside from that. Picking which outposts to put out first can drive up the complexity.

Strategy - 3/4 out of 5. Depending on turn order. Should/Can you go up exploration to reach that center isles or is going military heavy best. Regardless, you have again the traps and pillage and plunder take can wreck you. Good thing is you get the bonuses whether those outposts are upright or not.

Luck - 3 out of 5. For reasons mentioned above. As well as knowing to conquer a blank hex and taking the risk of getting no resource or waiting for a more secure hex.

Interaction - 2-5 out of 5. Has the potential to be highly interactive. Conquering is a major part of this game. But if it’s just two players. May not be too interactive.

Overall - 4 out of 5. A fun civ to play with that can be frustrating when you get no traps and your opponents get pillage and plunder. The 3x multiplier per hex can be powerful as usual game is only 2x from income mat.

2 players - less chances of interaction
3+ players - more hexes and chances galore.

Late game pull - if you’re already military heavy, can be useful. When paired with isolationists, a beast.

[b]Mystics[\b]
Complexity - 5 out of 5. Also runs the risk of being 1 out of 5 if you just place everything on 1 and go for the extra resources. Being successful in all four predictions, however, is 80 points. Quite an incentive. A common mistake I make, when trying to predict hexes is forget the initial hex counts and not taking that into consideration.

Strategy - 5 out of 5. So many factors come into guessing before. It helps that you can see what player order you are, but tapestries can ruin your strategy (like it can with every civ strategy). If all goes according to plan the rewards are plentiful.

Luck - 3 out of 5. This is more strategy base civ but you coulf still find unfavorable outcomes ruin your game.

Interaction- 2 out of 5. Not meant to be interactive. But the conquering action can sway things. As can the tapestry card which forces you to draw a tech card.

Overall - 4 out of 5. Another heavily used civ. Whether used the right way or the resourceful way.

2 players - easier to predict
3+ players - aim lower to maximum benefit.

Late game pull - usually an extra 20 points and 1 resource when placed and “how many end of tracks”

[b]Nomads[\b]
Complexity - 4 out of 5. This, like other civs that depend on placing income buildings anywhere other than your capital city, can be hard to balance. Filling in your capital city leads to so many points but the pay off of dominating the board and gaining resources per 2 game components can be quite a pay off. Just remember you can’t conquer a hex you already have a component on but you can give vice versa.

Strategy - 4 out of 5. This civ goes hand in hand with complexity. Laying out where to place landmarks and getting the most points from your mat plays hand in hand.

Luck - 3 out of 5. Gaining landmarks here, like craftsmen, is your friend.

Interaction - 1 out of 5. By definition, as explained on their civ card, they want to be left alone.

Overall - 3 out of 5. One of the more difficult CIVs to learn how to play expertly, but when done well, Highly successful.

Plays the same in all player count, however, the more players (4 or 5) the more area for control you can try and get.

Late game pull - 99% useless. Should allow you to redraw if pulled or give some other sort of incentive.

[b]Recyclers[\b]
Complexity - 2 out of 5. Get a tech card, additional upgrade potential, potential to reset card and get 5 points. When drawing a new tech, rummage through those discarded.

Strategy - 2 out of 5. Go for cards to you’ll be able to reset for double benefit and points.

Luck - 5 out of 5. Paired with the right and only tapestry card, you can get almost double the points for an upgrade and go beyond what you’re allowed to due to restrictions on advancement.

Interaction- 1 out of 5. You can’t claim someone else’s like inventors, so just race for your own.

Overall- 2 out of 5. The poor man’s inventors. Not sure why it exists. The ability to look at discarded techs is nice, but they’re usually discarded for a reason.

Plays the same in all player count

Late game pull - A free tech card and associated points (1 2 or 3) as well as a potential double upgrade.

[b]Relentless

Complexity - 5 out of 5. When to stop advancing on a track in order to be able to get 5+ income/landmarks takes a lot of planning. There are just some spaces that are unavoidable that don’t get you anything and force you to reset UNLESS you plan accordingly.

Strategy - 5 out of 5. Goes hand in hand with complexity. Planning is essential with this civ. But it sure does feel good when you get what you aimed for. And the fact that it can be repeated is a potential 45+ point gain.

Luck - 4 out of 5. Those plans to advance on a track without the potential to gain an income building can come down to luck. Conquering a hex that has an income mat and getting that hex benefit or upgrading a tech card that rewards you a landmark or income building can help.

Interaction- 2 out of 5. Race up that track!

Overall - 3 out of 5. Too much stress for me. Depends what my other choice is but I don’t choose this often. If 5+ allowed you two benefits instead of the choice of one AND/OR if when switching eras you could decide whether to reset you civ mat and take the current benefit would help. As is, you can end the game with 5+ cubes and not get the benefit.

Plays the same in all player count. The more players, the less likely to gain landmarks.

Late game pull - useless

Renegades
Complexity - 3 out of 5. They more you advance on the track, the harder it becomes to know which action to give up in order to advance renegades. Great spots for 3rd step is either M7 or E7 since it gives you that ability plus plus.

Strategy - 3 out of 5. Once you know turn order and how to navigate the civ, it’s pretty much stick to the plan. Not many divergents can occur.

Luck - 4 out of 5. From the tapestry you pull, to the roll of the die, to the upgrade gained, theirs a lot of luck that goes into this civ.

Interaction - 3 out of 5. The civ can become a race thanks to the die roll. And the ability to conquer.

Overall - 5 out of 5. Thanks to the bug being fixed, I don’t think it gets any better than Renegades. Not that it guarantees a win, but makes it easier to play. The ability to get 20 points plus end of track achievement for 4 resources less is helpful. That’s a total of 30 points potentially.

Plays the same at all player count

Late game pull - iffy. Can potentially gain you all the benefits if you’re early enough or have enough resources. But I’ve still seen the 3 benefit been reached. If anything, getting an extra income building in game can be about 10 points if it’s your last.

Riverfolk
Complexity - 4 out of 5. Free points (which doesn’t equate to what a full 9x9x3 capital city equals) plus potential double resources seems entice newer players. But I think veterans know to avoid this like the plague.

Strategy - 4 out of 5. This goes beyond trying to get landmarks to make up for the misshapen mess you’ll most likely form trying to cover impassable plots. They’ll never fit the awkward gaps you’ll leave behind in your goal to get a resource and hang on to your points.

Luck - 3 out of 5. Good luck getting those bulky landmarks.

Interaction- 2 out of 5. The race for landmarks.

Overall- 2 out of 5. Like other civs that challenge you to place your income buildings elsewhere, this civ can be tricky even though placing it in your income mat is what it forces you to do. A slippery slope that hides its cautionary tale.

2 player - ideal
3+ player - avoid

Late game - discard immediately. Thank god it lets you.

Spies[\b]
Complexity - 2 out of 5. Choose a spot gain the benefit. Beware not all tapestries are applicable.

Strategy - 5 out of 5. What to choose and when is key. Sometimes an opponent plays a tapestry that may be tempting only for the next one to be more ideal. Which spot to copy can also be stressful. Most start with copying a hex. Luck is on your side if they’re playing aliens and you copy a space tile.

Luck - 5 out of 5. You play what everyone else played as. Theirs bound to be something useful. But sometimes you falter.

Interaction - 5 out of 5. Again, you play what everyone else played.

Overall - 3 out of 5. Not overpowered and easy enough to play with. Knowing what cards they have can help determine whether to conquer or not. Or prepare you for devestation.

2 players - low “luck”
3+ players - more “luck”

Late game pull - some sort of useful benefit but nothing too OP usually. S11 could be helpful.

[b]Tinkerers

Complexity - 4 out of 5. A lot to read and understand, realizing when to play the “gain resources equal to where your advancement cube is” is critical. Knwoing when and what to regress 3 spots may confuse some. Knowing that skipping to the next bonus track doesn’t net you the landmark you may pass is a bummer, too.

Strategy - 5 out of 5. Like complexity. Try and realize what extract each spot entails. The success of this civ has a lot with how you play it. Advancing to bonus to move up science and claim income building is USUALLY end of era 1 play.

Luck - 4 out of 5. advancing an an opponents track and it be favorable is very rewarding, assuming no other opponent stands between you and them.

Interaction - 2 out of 5. Again, you’re able to match your opponent, so that’s always fun.

Overall - 4 out of 5. The rich man’s spies. Another fun civ to play with. Nothing else to mention aside from be strategic to get the most out of it.

2 players- good
3+ player - can be a hindrance but also more options.

Late game pull - something useful will be had. Either advance or regress. Maybe even a bonus if any still are ahead of the track that are worth it.

Traders
Complexity - 3 out of 5. Theirs two ways of using traders. The best way, if possible, is placing a cube on your own or an opponents outpost to get a resource or, if lucky, another income building. The other way is placing any income building on an opponents outpost to get what’s revealed but, as the name implies, as a trade, they get whatever is revealed as well.

Strategy - 5 out of 5. Tit for tat. Knowing what to give, if anything, becomes very important. It’s a great way of securing your income buildings are out of your mat. Placing a cube on your own outpost secures you won’t be conquered. Can be even more limited if opponents don’t move up military and place outposts.

Luck - 4 out of 5. Although a resource is probable, the go to hex is of course any sort of income building and there are only 4 in the whole lot. The other luck factor, as mentioned above, is if the opponent decides to NOT move up military strategically stifling you.

Interaction - 4 out of 5. For reasons mentioned above. The majority of this civ relies on your opponents.

Overall - 1/2 out of 5. I do not like this civ. Yes giving up income buildings is amazing but this is one of the only civs that benefits the opponent as well. Giving them 10 free points can be detrimental to your win. It becomes a bit more favorable in higher player count. Probably the rarest picked civ with many opponents saying they want to “experiment” with it.

2 player - terrible. Potential of you being stumped by its usage.
3 player - okay.
4+ players - slightly above okay.

Late game pull - expect 10 points, but to also give your opponent 10 points unless an income hex is available.

Treasure Hunters
Complexity - 4 out of 5. Remembering which terrain does what and what resource it rewards can get confusing. Making the mistake of not having an available hex next to you with that terrain type can stunt your advancement with this civ.

Strategy - 2 out of 5. The resource is guaranteed, that’s about it. Knowing that each starting point offers 3/4 of the options in important to know what is needed to make sure all 4 benefits are used.

Luck - 5 out of 5. What points you get; what advancement you get. What extra resources you get (if any) is all up to RNG. Assuming you get a 7 in all 3 red conquer die rolls, that’s only 21 points.

Interaction - 2 out of 5. A veteran player would try and stop your chances of placing a cube by taking over your hexes. Would usually happen end of era 3/4.

Overall - 3 out of 5. Fun to play with but not a go to. I think a common mistake is going for the science die too soon, and minimizing the amount of resources you could potentially save by using it successfully later in the game.

Plays PRETTY MUCH equally in all player counts. The 4+ side of the board presents an unfair disadvantage as some starting points offer each terrain type and others done.

Late game pull - depending one how much you’ve conquered and what is available. Can result in either points or a free advancement on a track end game.

Urban Planners[\b]
Complexity - 5 out of 5. Unless placed incorrectly (hanging off the mat), no capital city lends itself to have 7 connecting landmarks.

Strategy - 5 out of 5. The civ does allow you to store your landmarks (admittedly to an annoyance by asking every turn) but, again, as stated above, it’s hard to connect 7. Luck also plays a huge factor in higher player counts. Acquiring landmark techs is extra helpful.

Luck - 4 out of 5. Player order is important. Making sure you don’t get dysopianed or that you do get dystopia yourself.

Interaction - 1 out of 5. Race your way to the top.

Overall - 2 out of 5. What’s missing from this to make this better would be the addition of the landmark cards that were introduced. 49 points does almost equate to what a full capital city rewards but the amount of strategy needed to pull it off may not be worth it.

2players - easy peasy
3+ players - stress overload

Late game pull - that one free landmark is nice, and you’re bound to get some sort of points but still not too exciting.

[b]Utilitarians

Complexity - 4 out of 5. For someone new to the game the obvious choice isn’t the obvious choice. With probably to most amount of reading acquired and understanding, this may look too intimidating and passed up on. But those who know, know.

Strategy - 3 out of 5. Once the right first landmark is claimed, the rest of the game becomes a resource factory. Pairing it with any other may be rewarding. When to replace for points can become (second tier landmark) can be questionable.

Luck - 4 out of 5. Even with the right first landmark. Turn order can hurt, as can that specific pesky tapestry card.

Interaction - 2 out of 5. Aside from the race and STEALING the first landmark. Play your own game, bro.

Overall - 4 out of 5. Very popular choice to get a good steady resource factory generated. It also puts people off to moving up science track for a while since nothings there to claim.

2 players - hubba-hubba
3+ players - pray to the tapestry gods

Late game pull - unless a landmark remains, which is unlikely or hard to reach, not much to get out of it.

I think that was all of them! What do you all have to say? Thoughts? Opinions? Let the debate begin.
RichardWest

Re: The ultimate?? CIV Ranking

Post by RichardWest »

Among the arena civs and 2v2 gameplay, I rate Merrymakers and Entertainers as the #1 and #2 civs. If considering expansions then Tinkerers would be #1, but they are just silly and need to be nerfed.
hertztoomuch

Post by hertztoomuch »

Interesting. Taking into consideration your expert rating in this game. I’ll have to see gameplay of how you handle those civs.
NaCl_duke

Post by NaCl_duke »

Thanks for the summary. I will add a category for my record list: "Longest post about Tapestry".
As to the subject: I mainly played 2 player with experimental adjustments. I agree with Richard that Merrymakers and Entertainers are solid choices. Maybe you should add a discussion point: "Ranking when used in a game with all Civ cards included". In that scenario I would not want Merrymakers as much.....
hertztoomuch

Post by hertztoomuch »

NaCl_duke wrote: 26 June 2024, 05:39 Thanks for the summary. I will add a category for my record list: "Longest post about Tapestry".
As to the subject: I mainly played 2 player with experimental adjustments. I agree with Richard that Merrymakers and Entertainers are solid choices. Maybe you should add a discussion point: "Ranking when used in a game with all Civ cards included". In that scenario I would not want Merrymakers as much.....
😂😂😂 an honor to have longest post about tapestry.

I’ve mentioned before that arena and 3p should have the option to play with all civs AND experimental. But it went unanswered lol
Foxydono

Post by Foxydono »

I'll try to give my feedback on the old civs. I have played the new civs a fair amount, but I don't feel like my insights will be of much help.

Alchemist: I agree with what you said and a 3/5 rating seems fair. With 4/5-players the ability to advance an extra step to get ahead on the track is more powerful, especially if you are not the first in the turn order, but it is still a gamble to roll for it.

Architects: This civ can give you many points and resources, but you need landmarks and preferably a good map. In 1v1 I would rate architects a 5/5 with the right map, since you almost always get 2 tracks. With 3 players it is still strong, seeing as you can get to T4 tech without having to pass. Dystopia is killing obviously. In the 4/5 player games I have played, you almost always play against Heralds and Dystopia, so it is much less attractive. Since most games (at least online) are 2/3 player, I would rate it 4/5 (on average considering you need a good land) and with 4/5 players a 3 out of 5.

Chosen: I tend to avoid playing it, as it comes online rather late and I find that much harder to handle. Or at least it is not my preferred playing style. With 2 players I would give it a 3/5, but with 3+ it becomes more of a problem. Especially because you will be up against Illusionist or nomads and middle will be gone before you know it.

Craftsmen: I think a 3/5 sums it up. You can score decent points, but it is never a very high scoring civ. It helps that you do not get the resource penalty so you can get to T4 tech if you want before passing.

Entertainers: I would rate this 4/5 at least. The extra free house at first pass is a huge bonus, you also get a resource, so in 2 player you can go T2 military T3 explore and get a tech and an extra house from civ, so three houses and a tech!

Futurists: When they announced the experimental version I though it would be even more OP then the old one. I was wrong. It is actually a fun civ, but I find it very hard to master and I avoid playing it. The lack of early houses needs to be overcome somehow and that is not always easy. You also tend to go up on all tracks and lose focus, trying to prevent others from getting landmarks. I find it is often better to up 1/2 tracks and allow others to surpass you at times. Anyway, I agree with 3/5.

Heralds: For me it depends, in 1v1 (same as with inventors), I would rate it a 3/5. With 3 players prob a 4/5 and with 5 players I give it a 5/5. You get just so many good tapestry cards and in 1v1 I might not play dark ages or dystopia because it will be used against me as well. But in 5-player noone cares and you can just chose between almost anything making it very powerful.

Historians: I like the civ, but it certainly isn't as powerful as it was. It is useful for sure, but I tend to score it a 3/5, because the first benefit a brown resource is nice, bu after that it's a but 'meh'. I often take the free roll and extra tech cards are nice too and if you have many outposts you can go points, but it doesn't feel overly powerful, so for me an average rating.

Inventors: Well, just get the civ tech and profit. In 1v1 I would give it no more then a 3/5, in 3/4 player a 4/5 and 5 players a 5/5. The civ tech will come and most likely you will be able to upgrade it. In 2/3-player chances of that happening are slim, but in 4/5-player people are like meh, at least I'll make 2nd place and upgrade it.

Illusionists: a 4/5 rating sums it up well. The ability to block the middle and protect your territory is huge and the extra resources are nice. You almost always score decent with the civs and the only downside is you are forced into military so it is predictable what you are going to do, but since you can go T5 military easy, who will stop you?

Leaders: I would give leaders (unlike alchemists) a 4/5. The guaranteed free step is huge. You want to race tech with me? Sure. You might take the 2x landmark if you have craftsmen or something like that, but then I just jump over you and take the T7 landmark. Unless dictatorship is played, but then you draw a different plan. The stability of the civ makes me rate it higher.

Merrymakers: For me this is in the same bracket as entertainers, thus a 4/5. Two resources/tech/outpost and of course free points at the end, it just works. It is very stable and you never do badly with it.

Militants: a 4/5 seems like a correct rating. The downside is you must go military. I often go military against militants just to block them. They go there anyways, without the landmark, so if you can stay ahead of them it can frustrate them quite a bit. But it is just easy to score many points with them. Attack, attack and attack more, and ideally get some brown houses out and hope for 1/2 trap cards!

Mystics: One of my favorite civs. Unlike the more pro players, I tend to play it easy mode and just do 1/1/1/1. Get early resources and T5 tech, or military and explore with a tech card. It doesn't seem as powerful, because you only get early resources once, but I always score big with mystics and they rarely disappoint. In most games I just finish tech and get 20 points from that. You could try to spice it up and get 40/60 or even 80 points, but there are so many factors why it doesn't work. Landmark gets stoles (not right amount of map filled up) or someone draws inventors and steals a tech, your outpost gets toppled etc etc. And you also miss early resources. Anyway, 4/5 is a good rating for them.

Nomads: a hard civ to master and I like filling up my board so I don't often pick them. They are prob 4/5 with a 4+ player game as landmarks are hard to get, so you don't get many points from your land anyway. Overall rating 3/5 seems good to me.

Traders: The one civ they should still give a buff of some sort. I think noone picks it, especially not 1v1 as it only works well if you give a cube to another player. My suggestion: give it an extra resource to start with and make it so the ability also works if you put a cube on your own outpost. You can protect your own outpost which is pretty big, get a free house and with the extra resource you can start off with a tech and 3 houses. That should make it a 3/5 at least, maybe even around 4/5. For now 1/5.

Hope my insights help and thanks for making such an elaborate ranking!
hertztoomuch

Post by hertztoomuch »

Thank you for your input foxy :)

Return to “Tapestry”