New game : Go

Board Game Arena Official announcements
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

New game : Go

Post by sourisdudesert »

We have the pleasure to welcome on BGA the Go traditional game.

Go is the most ancient board game that is still played today! It is also a fantastic abstract game that is really simple to learn with a LOT of possibilities. In you don't know how to play Go, we advise you this 15 minutes how to play video.

This Go adaptation has been developed by stst using BGA Studio. Stst is one of the best board game player on BGA and an experienced BGA developers (Kalah, Pylos, Nautilus). The result is a beautiful adaptation which allows you to choose between 3 board size depending your available time, and to choose between the different rules available. Thank you very much for this wonderful work!

This Go adaptation is replacing the previous "Sandbox" adaptation used to test Sandbox environment on BGA. A lot of you are very impatient to access this new "Sandbox" tool which allow you to create digital adaptation for BGA in few hours. We are also very impatient to show it to you - and we are also very very late -, so just a quick news : we are going soon to release 2 new games based on Sandbox in order to continue testing this tool in "real conditions".

Enjoy!
sulyac

Re: New game : Go

Post by sulyac »

Would it be possible to know which ruleset has been implemented?
For instance, what happens in case of a triple ko?
stst

Post by stst »

AGA variant of Go rules is used at this adaptation of the game.
Chordnine

Post by Chordnine »

I'm very impressed by the rate of new features, games, and improvements that are being implemented on BGA. Well done!
Faignantix

Post by Faignantix »

Hello,
I found a few things that could be improved in my opinion:

- You cannot see the prisoners you made. This is at least true when you choose Chinese counting, I didn't try Japanese counting. However, even with Chinese counting, you can need the number of prisoners in order to count quickly during the game.

- The komi is announced to be 5 at the beginning, but it appears to be 5.5 at the end. This turned my last game from a tie to a victory. I have no problem with komi 5.5, but that should be announced somewhere.

- What about handicap system ?

Aside from this, it's a great work! Thanks!
chasemuir

Post by chasemuir »

The 2 sandbox games of go I had in progress are now stuck in limbo and I cannot open them. Is there a way to close them out from my games in progress?
stst

Post by stst »

To Faignantix.

- You see the prisoners when you choose Japanese counting method, but for Chinese counting method the count of prisoners does not matter.

- I wrote info about komi at this adaptation of the game on rules summary page in English.

- I plan to add handicaps option in future.
Faignantix

Post by Faignantix »

- I agree that prisoners does not matter to compute the score at the end of the game, but when you want to evaluate the position in the early endgame, it would be very useful to have this information.

- OK for the komi, I guess it wasn't translated yet to the French page, so I didn't see it.

- Great for the future handicap system.
Alnagon

Post by Alnagon »

I hope it would be implemented more games on goban. E.g. Pente in some variants.

Return to “Official announcements [en]”