Fast Speed is Slow

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
VSAAV

Fast Speed is Slow

Post by VSAAV »

3minutes are given per round. The chance of choosing a new dice is said to be a new round. It is very slow, some players even use up their time when they have no chance of winning, and this can prolong the game to about an hour. I play base game only, other than the first phase of counting and planning, and the use of Vampiric Crown to get many resources, I do not see why a player cannot finish his turn within one minute.
RicardoRix

Re: Fast Speed is Slow

Post by RicardoRix »

I played a 4 player game once that took nearly 2 hours, long games can be very off putting.

I think there is an inherent problem with allotting a time per turn.
Tzolkin, the final turn can take 5 minutes, but nearly all the other turns can be done fairly quickly, in fact the 'put meeples on' turns only need to last a few seconds.

There should be some encouragement to play responsibly within a reasonable time, but also have long enough to be able to take those long final turns.

In summary the time per turn sometimes doesn't work very well. Time per game plus some extra per turn would be good. You can get this setup with bullet chess a lot, like 10 minutes for the whole game and +10 seconds per move. This way playing faster is encouraged to help you gain more time to think/play on the longer turns.
Liallan

Re: Fast Speed is Slow

Post by Liallan »

RicardoRix wrote:In summary the time per turn sometimes doesn't work very well. Time per game plus some extra per turn would be good. You can get this setup with bullet chess a lot, like 10 minutes for the whole game and +10 seconds per move. This way playing faster is encouraged to help you gain more time to think/play on the longer turns.
So you're talking about re-balancing between extra time and turn time, like make the "extra" time a lot longer and really shorten up the per turn time. (And in this game, required turn time is pretty unbalanced to begin with, since some turns you can do a lot and take longer, and some take a second to click End Turn cause you can't do anything at all.)

It used to be that any time you didn't use up would accumulate, so that you would have that extra time for other turns. Then when you needed extra it would cut into that. (Though it gave ridiculous amounts of accumulated time for turn-based games, which needed to work differently.)

(Although I'm not seeing what is so terrible about taking an hour for this game. The box even says an hour and those times aren't meant for newbie players.)

Return to “Seasons”