Raising bids

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Gianfresco

Raising bids

Post by Gianfresco »

Hi all! :mrgreen:

I've always played Perudo in a slightly different way than how it's implemented here.
For example, after a bid of "five 5s" I'm used to being able to raise to "six" of any face, as in "six 2s", "six 3s", etc.
Here on BGA, instead, I can only raise to a higher number of dice without decreasing the face, as in "six 5s", "six 6s", "seven 5s", "seven 6s", etc.

I understand this is a traditional game with lots of variants, but I think this one would push every round to bidding on 5s and 6s, which doesn't look right to me. It might be intended and might even be better this way, I'm not sure yet. :D

My point is that I'm sure that my version corresponds to the "official" italian rules for the board game, however I can't find them online. I found these official-looking rules instead, which say:
Rules wrote:The player to the opener’s left then makes a call and the bidding proceeds
around the table. Each bid must be higher than the last. So a call of “seven
fours” can be followed by, say, “seven fives” or by “eight twos”, but not by
“six sixes” or by “seven twos”.
I don't mind learning the game the other way around, but I was wondering if the rule here was intended or if it should be considered a bug, since it differs from the official (?) rules.
RicardoRix

Re: Raising bids

Post by RicardoRix »

yeah, same here. Feels like a lost in translation. There should be different options for this game given it's not an official game but more of an ancient game passed down through the generations.
Gianfresco

Post by Gianfresco »

Having it as an option would be great! :mrgreen:

EDIT:
I've now played a couple matches and I find the raising system kind of limited. I love crazy raises like "three 3s" > "seven 5s", but the game here only allows very small raises when you change the face you're bidding on.

I really think having the alternate option would make the game better, I'm available to help iron out the details of the rule if needed.

It's basically like this:
Any bid is allowed, as long as it raises either the number of dice or the face of the die. (the usual rule applies when you switch to 1s)

As an example, here are the allowed bids from "four 4s":
- four 5s, four 6s, five 2s, five 3s, five 4s, five 5s, five 6s, six 2s, six 3s, six 4s... (basically anything goes as long as you're "above" the previous bid)
- two 1s, three 1s, four 1s... (usual rule for 1s)
Smith5000123

Post by Smith5000123 »

I learned the same rule- that you can either raise the value or raise the number. But you can lower the value if you raise the number. That seems to be a common way everybody learns the game. I get that bga has an "official" version- but it already allows some variation. With a game that's centuries old and has other versions, you think they'd allow some variations. The only flexibility we have is calza or not

EDIT:
I just realized also that when you raise the face, you can only change the number of die by one. This is super limiting and kills some of the fun imho
Gianfresco

Post by Gianfresco »

Smith5000123 wrote: EDIT:
I just realized also that when you raise the face, you can only change the number of die by one. This is super limiting and kills some of the fun imho
I totally agree! :mrgreen:
It's just so much fun to drop a huge bet out of the blue (and also interesting from the strategic point of view).

On a practical note, I'm a developer and would be happy to help with the implementation of this option. :D
Not sure if I should ask someone in particular about it, so I'm just writing it here.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Gianfresco wrote: On a practical note, I'm a developer and would be happy to help with the implementation of this option. :D
Not sure if I should ask someone in particular about it, so I'm just writing it here.
You should probably message sourisdudesert about it.
fafa-fr

Post by fafa-fr »

Liallan wrote:
Gianfresco wrote: On a practical note, I'm a developer and would be happy to help with the implementation of this option. :D
You should probably message sourisdudesert about it.
Since Perudo was developed using BGA Studio, you can even directly read the Studio doc (http://en.doc.boardgamearena.com/Studio), register on BGA Studio (http://en.studio.boardgamearena.com/), and you'll be able to have a read-only access of Perudo's code. Then, if you want to work on it, you'll have to ask the developer of the game (or a BGA admin, sourisdudesert or Een) for a read-write access.
But you have to be sure that the changes you want to make follow the real rules (of the official Perudo game, published by Asmodée, not of one of the variants of the game it is based on). This is compulsory because BGA only release games following the official rules (they have agreements with the publishers), and only add variants that are officially approved.
Gianfresco

Post by Gianfresco »

Thanks! I'll check BGA Studio and the official rules and see what I can do. :mrgreen:
Gianfresco

Post by Gianfresco »

I found a couple more sources of information: this topic discussing the same thing and the official rules for Asmodee's Perudo (Italian and multilanguage, couldn't find them in English).

Their take on the rules is the same as implemented on BGA and they didn't add the "traditional" rules as a variant, so I don't think we can do much about it. :(
shaunajean

Post by shaunajean »

agree on the discussion above. (i.e. if raising number of dice, then can lower the number AND raising both the number on the die and the number of dice simultaneously )

Also curious about "showing support of your bid" and a reroll with your remaining die.
Don't have the official rules & haven't looked at them in a while. might be a 'house' variant.

Return to “Perudo”