Substitution of ${pillbug} at HIVE

BGA localization discussions
Een

Re: Substitution of ${pillbug} at HIVE

Post by Een »

2) The code running on the dev site I have access to is not the same version as the code running on BGA.
That was actually correct :oops:
Some fixes were made in April for translations, but the last one (exactly the line you mentioned) didn't get deployed... Oops.

Should be good now!
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Glad you decided to join us. Now you guys can have an intelligent conversation about code.
Een wrote:Well, this thread got quite lengthy quite fast :)
We are quite an anal bunch. Can't be having mistakes around. :P
1) Machine translation is used only for news posts (for languages other than English and French. So no machine translation issues here.
Thanks - good to know.
2) For consistency, the rules should be referred to in order to see if spelling should be "Pill bug" or "Pillbug".
The rules have "Pill bug," or at least the rules here. I've not seen the original. So I went back and undid the changes someone made to these. Of course, I can't fix the ${pillbug} ones. ;) Just keep in mind the reference (the constant) is "Pill bug."
Use of variables or direct use of Pillbug/Mosquito in the strings to translate is more a matter of development style than something else. I probably would have used directly Pillbug/Mosquito rather than using variables, but there were many successive developers taking part in the development/maintenance of Hive, so the style can be different here and there.
Also good to know when something's a dev decision. I did notice there were 3 developers on this one.

I'm going to leave this one alone now and get back to my Outlaws. That bug game looks difficult. :lol:
DrKarotte

Post by DrKarotte »

Liallan wrote:The rules have "Pill bug," or at least the rules here.
The original has "Pillbug". But they also write "Grass Hopper". No consistency anywhere...
BTW: Is this really so important?
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

Pillbug and pill bug are used interchangeably. Consistency is good though.
"Grass Hopper" is just wrong.

Pillbug should be superior for machine translations as "Pill bug" could very well just give you a translation of "pill" and "bug".
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

DrKarotte wrote:
Liallan wrote:The rules have "Pill bug," or at least the rules here.
The original has "Pillbug". But they also write "Grass Hopper". No consistency anywhere...
BTW: Is this really so important?
Well, as for me, I was just responding to Een.

That it matches rules is not always important, especially since rules can be wrong themselves. (After all, as N_Faker says, "grass hopper" is just wrong.) But I think consistency looks better, probably helps with the other translations, and satisfies the myriad of OCD people around here. :D

Return to “Translations”