Innovation testers needed!

Game development with Board Game Arena Studio
Woodruff

Innovation testers needed!

Post by Woodruff »

Hi everybody!

I have just finished the development of Innovation by Carl Chudyk on BGA studio. I asked BGA team for game review but I think they are ultra busy since they have not replied yet.
So, what about testing the game on Studio in the meantime? That would still be fewer bugs to correct after beta-release.

Tables are openable for any player groups willing to play: http://fr.studio.boardgamearena.com/#!g ... innovation
You need a BGA Studio account for that, you can register here: http://fr.studio.boardgamearena.com/#!welcomestudio
On my side I will try to log to Studio each time I can (not every day though), usually between 18 and 23 UTC. Don't hesitate to invite me if you see me around (I am Tchebychev0), that would be my pleasure :)

Game is in English, translation will be made after release, and playable with 2, 3, 4 players. 4 players is quite chaotic but I have added a team mode as beta which should be more interesting.

Documentation: My expectations for now:
  • It would be nice if you know already how to play the game IRL.
  • The major concerns are for blocking bugs. I am not willing to change the interface design right now (except if there is something very, very wrong...) because the publisher can have a different opinion on that matter, and I dont know him yet :)
  • If you see a bug, you can post it as a reply of this topic. Try to add as many meaningful elements as you can (screenshots are good), even if I know it will be more difficult since the bug report system does not work on Studio.
  • I apologize in advance for bugs that would "kill" a game. Even if I have tested each card individually there are big chances that situation might happen... Don't punch me too hard for that please :roll:
Thanks a lot and enjoy it well!

Tchebychev
Tramuntana

Re: Innovation testers needed!

Post by Tramuntana »

This is so awesome! I can't wait to play!
Victoria_La

Post by Victoria_La »

Did you go through pre-release checklist?
http://en.doc.boardgamearena.com/Pre-release_checklist

Because if you did spectator mode still does not work

Notice: Undefined offset: 2300670 in /var/tournoi/release/games/innovation/999999-9999/innovation.view.php on line 77

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 10 seconds exceeded in /var/tournoi/release/games/innovation/999999-9999/innovation.view.php on line 97
Victoria_La

Post by Victoria_La »

I don't know the rules so mostly looked at UI
1) When prompted to choose cards active element should stand out, i..e the current selection (clickable) is too tiny and non-distiguishable from anything else, you can use thicker outline of neon glow instead (of dotted lines)
2) Cards looks better with shadow (box-shadow)
3) Headers should not have underscore because they look like links (unless it part of game theme or they are links)
4) "<name> must take his first action" - drop "his", gender specific pronouns should be avoided especially since it does not add anything, i..e "<name> must take first action" or use plural "<name> must take their first action"
5) clic -> click in english
6) In game reply has JS errors (i.e. when you click on log to reply)
Woodruff

Post by Woodruff »

Thanks Victoria_La for that review.
I'll fix these points when I have time to do so.

I read the pre-release check but I did not find the way to test the game as spectator, since I have no other Studio BGA account. Can you tell me how to do that?
Anyway, I realize that could not possibly work since the view is based on the player who is running the client, to be put on top. That player does not exists in spectator mode so that could not work.

1) 2) Good advice, I'll fix that.
3) I will remove underscores except for "my score" because it links to a windows displaying card in the player score.
4) 5) OK.
6) I will investigate on that to find the cause of the bug.

Thanks a lot!

Tchebychev
dudi2

Post by dudi2 »

You have accounts Tchebychev0 to Tchebychev9.
Woodruff

Post by Woodruff »

You have accounts Tchebychev0 to Tchebychev9.
I thought until that I could only connect with Tchebychev0, according to what is said in the welcoming message for BGA Studio:
Username: Tchebychev0 (=> please use this one to login on BGA Studio)
Username: Tchebychev1
Username: Tchebychev2
Anyway, I managed to test spectator mode, then debug it.

I've also fixed points 1 to 5 but I have more troubles for the replay. Apparently I have a problem linked to the fact that for game purposes, I set at the beginning an independant window (dijit.Dialog) the player can show when he wants. This windows does not seem to set up itself properly on game replay: when I try to access it, I have only the semi-opaque white layer on the page but no window on it. I've no idea way it does that because this window is defined in setup, with no particular test (it works well in any other situation).

I'm still investigating this...
Woodruff

Post by Woodruff »

Hi everybody,

The project has switched to pre-prod' on BGA. If you want to test you can ask to join the "innovation players" group. When you are in you can launch and play the V0 of the game. There will be some delay between the correctionning of bugs on Studio and their appliance on BGA, that's normal.
Hope to see you there!

Tchebychev

Return to “Developers”