English to English translation again

Game development with Board Game Arena Studio
Victoria_La

English to English translation again

Post by Victoria_La »

I was complaining about this before here I am again. I really don't appreciate random people going and changing English strings
in my games without knowing the context and that got some-how auto-approved without me even knowing...
Happened before and happened again, I just received a bug with new published game about incorrect tooltip, look at code its correct!
Hey somebody decided to go and change 3 to 2 in the text! And now its in the game and all translatable strings!
And posting on translators forum had no effect before.

So I have some request regarding this for admins:
- Have a way to comment on original string to explain what context it appears in, I can comment on translation now but not on orginal :(
Have this comment show up near the string for translators

- If English string is changed do not commit it unless game developers or admin approve the change, personally I don't think it should be allowed in a first place but if happens at least I need to know somebody wants to change it. Changes in English strings has severe effect not only on interface of the game in english, but it also it immediately propagate itself to other languages, because translation "keys" are based on "someone's else" English translation not on the original for some reason

Please, please, pretty please!
DrKarotte

Re: English to English translation again

Post by DrKarotte »

+1

I don't understand what some of these people think when changing the meaning of a string. In my game I had discovered at least one change of the meaning to the opposite (!!). If I would doing this and had doubts about the context I would prefer to not changing anything before checking in-game or asking the dev.
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

This is quite rare, please do not hesitate to report us directly these translator so we can block their accounts.
Victoria_La

Post by Victoria_La »

sourisdudesert wrote:This is quite rare, please do not hesitate to report us directly these translator so we can block their accounts.
How hard it this to add? I am sure translators will appreciate if text has comment on what context it appears, and functionality is already almost
there with comment on translations, and I am sure you have special permissions/restrictions for English translations already
so won't be hard to block. Please! I don't want to report people I am sure they had good intentions.
ollyfish2002

Post by ollyfish2002 »

Maybe admins should create a new language called "original" ou "developper" that cannot be changed by anyone else than developper and an "english" language as a translation that is visible in the game and accessible to translators. Corrections to "original" should be submitted to developper.
For sure, admins should copy "original" to "english" but modifications would not affect all languages.
I have seen this change "3 to 2" and my translation has been "corrected" as an error...
PS : I think it is the same problem with the end dot. Who decide to add one or remove it ?
Een

Post by Een »

Victoria_La wrote: - Have a way to comment on original string to explain what context it appears in, I can comment on translation now but not on orginal :(
Have this comment show up near the string for translators
Explaining context about every string would be a huge task for the developer (think Through the ages, 797 strings!). It's the translator's job to be careful about context and not change something he/she doesn't fully understand if he didn't see it in context.
Victoria_La wrote: - If English string is changed do not commit it unless game developers or admin approve the change, personally I don't think it should be allowed in a first place but if happens at least I need to know somebody wants to change it. Changes in English strings has severe effect not only on interface of the game in english, but it also it immediately propagate itself to other languages, because translation "keys" are based on "someone's else" English translation not on the original for some reason
Looking at this game, there has been 3 typos fixed and 1 mistake. I'm reluctant in making a system more complex and less straightforward with a validation process for occasional mistakes. It seems to me that the main thing lacking here is the developer being aware of the change so he has the possibility to revert it if inappropriate (and add a comment at this point to explain).

So I think I'll add an email notification to the game developer when an original English string is modified.
Victoria_La wrote: How hard it this to add? I am sure translators will appreciate if text has comment on what context it appears, and functionality is already almost
there with comment on translations, and I am sure you have special permissions/restrictions for English translations already
so won't be hard to block.
Not too difficult, but not too simple either. From what I said above, I think notifiying the developer about the changes is a cleaner and better solution.
Victoria_La wrote:Please! I don't want to report people I am sure they had good intentions.
Well, at least tell them then. Without feedback on mistakes, there is no hope to avoid other mistakes in the future :)
In that case, I checked (and reverted 2 to 3 in other translations that followed that mistake) and it was indeed with good intention so we wouldn't have overreacted anyway :D
Victoria_La

Post by Victoria_La »

Notifying developers about change is satisfactory solution.

Regarding comments, I am not saying dev should add comments for all strings! I am saying just allow to add comment without
changing the text! That would allow me to provide context in few case where its not obvious.

In some cases I see people changing string to itself and I don't see any differences but I cannot seems to do it myself, because
that would solve my comment problem too.
Een

Post by Een »

Victoria_La wrote:Notifying developers about change is satisfactory solution.
This will be in the next site release.
Victoria_La wrote:Regarding comments, I am not saying dev should add comments for all strings! I am saying just allow to add comment without
changing the text! That would allow me to provide context in few case where its not obvious.

In some cases I see people changing string to itself and I don't see any differences but I cannot seems to do it myself, because
that would solve my comment problem too.
That would mean allowing the developer to add a comment on the initial translation which is a copy of the source string.
Won't be used much I think but yes, it's not difficult to do. This will also be in the next site release.
Victoria_La

Post by Victoria_La »

Thanks!
Victoria_La

Post by Victoria_La »

Een wrote: This will be in the next site release.
Just go my notification today, yay! Thanks Emmanuel!

Return to “Developers”