The site crashed on me 12/6/2017 and punished my ELO

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Rex Goodheart

The site crashed on me 12/6/2017 and punished my ELO

Post by Rex Goodheart »

While playing Puerto Rico table #35770824 at approx. 1:45PM USA Central time the site crashed.... but it charged me with a loss and penalized me 20 ELO points.

Unfair!

:)
Jest Phulin

Re: The site crashed on me 12/6/2017 and punished my ELO

Post by Jest Phulin »

You've been on this site long enough to know that if it really was BGA's fault, and not your fault or your ISP's fault, all penalties assessed during the outage are removed as a matter of course. Please don't complain like this in the forums. Please give the admins some time to work.
Een

Post by Een »

Actually, as I explained to someone in the general chat yesterday, the karma penalties linked to downtime can be removed (and have been), but the game results cannot be undone. So if during the downtime someone kicked you out of the game, your karma reputation has been restored after we removed the penalty, but the game is still a loss reguarding ELO. Sorry about that. Please consider it an exceptional loss due to adverse weather conditions :D

(by the way, yesterday's outage was due to our hosting provider's network optical routers failing, so this is actually really the closest thing you can have from adverse weather conditions on the internet)
Rex Goodheart

Post by Rex Goodheart »

Well, no, actually, my ELO penalty from the crash has not been fixed.
Mach3Racer

Post by Mach3Racer »

I would suggest using it as a healthy opportunity to reflect on how important ELO is to you in the greater scheme of things. If you will allow my gentle suggestion, of course.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

RexGoodheart wrote:Well, no, actually, my ELO penalty from the crash has not been fixed.
Yes, that's what Een just said - that reputation got fixed but ELO didn't. But Jest is still correct that they do fix what they can any time there's an outage.
helderman86

Post by helderman86 »

What if there is no outage but the page just wouldn't load on my end and then timed out... Three seperate times? It's really unfair... So will the admins eventually get to my complaints and replace my karma for me? I really hope so. If so then I know not to be so sour. If not, then this system is kinda unfair to punish folks for things that are out of their control. Just a newb with questions. No need to tell me I've been a member since 20xx, etc etc... I just started using this site this past week, I love it and as soon as I get paid on wednesday I am buying my premium membership! woohoo! :-)
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

helderman86 wrote:What if there is no outage but the page just wouldn't load on my end and then timed out... Three seperate times? It's really unfair... So will the admins eventually get to my complaints and replace my karma for me? I really hope so. If so then I know not to be so sour. If not, then this system is kinda unfair to punish folks for things that are out of their control. Just a newb with questions. No need to tell me I've been a member since 20xx, etc etc... I just started using this site this past week, I love it and as soon as I get paid on wednesday I am buying my premium membership! woohoo! :-)
If there is a known outage, then they do go through and fix reputation penalties. A page not loading could be caused by all sorts of things and there is no way for the admins to know that that even happened or why, so no, they are not going to automatically go through fixing penalties from that sort of issue, especially when you're calling it "on your end." The "system" can't think and doesn't know what happened to you, only that you didn't take a turn, so it's not attempting to make unfair punishments.

The right people may not not be checking every post on every thread of the forums. There is a contact form:
https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!contact

Return to “Discussions”