Dragon Keeper: The Dungeon

Board Game Arena Official announcements
Een

Dragon Keeper: The Dungeon

Post by Een »

For the first game of this spring 2018 we have the pleasure to release a dragon themed game! Dragon Keeper, The Dungeon, a game from Etienne Daniault published by Ilopeli, is now available on Board Game Arena.

The first thing that comes to mind about Dragon Keeper is to mention the original and clever design of the box. The game setup uses the cover of the box, its bottom and an extra board inside the box to build a tridimensional dungeon on 3 levels for your adventure! It's really well done and the result is a pleasure to experience.

So how could we render the spirit of such a game built with a tridimensional setup in mind? Well, one of the developers of the BGA community, Antonio Soler (Morgalad) has been pretty interested in 3D since his first games, especially Takara Island. After building up his 3D skills on those games, he was ready to take a challenge, and the result is pretty awesome: just hold the right click button and drag the mouse around or put the cursor over the stones background and use the mouse wheel to have fun with the full 3D experience he created! (as usual on BGA with one click on the top right "2D" switch you can choose to use the 2D mode if you like a flat design better). With 3D the Dragon even flies down from one level to the next one!

And what will you do when exploring this dungeon from top to bottom? Actually you'll be advising the Dragon on how to clear the Dungeon of all the adventurers who have come to steal its treasure... You were one of them once, but you decided that you would have better fortune on the Dragon side. So you'll tell him which adventurers he should capture to defend its treasure the most efficiently. Your opponents will do the same, each counseling the Dragon and trying to be the best advisor to get the most richly rewarded by the Dragon. Also, since you still have some friends among the adventurers of your late guild, you'll try to give them a better deal than other adventurers, but you should be careful of not being too obvious about it, or your opponents could take advantage of guessing this secret preference.

On your turn, you'll collect first one adventurers tile horizontally, then give another tile collected by moving the Dragon vertically to one of your opponents. Tiles are stacked by guild, and at the end of the game, you'll first give the highest stack to the Dragon as tribute, then score the values of other stacks minus the value of the tiles of the guild you were a member of. One level is over when at one point the Dragon cannot collect a tile. Then if the advisors have been bad at their jobs and a lot of adventurers have not been captured, they'll have to pay back the Dragon from their own pockets! Then down to the next level!

We would like to thank the publisher Ilopeli and the game designer Etienne Daniault (Zous) for their authorization, interest and help in creating this online version of Dragon Keeper. And of course also the developer Antonio Soler (Morgalad) who gifted us with such a beautiful 3D implementation! Cheers Antonio!

Have fun crawling this Dungeon not as an adventurer, but as the Dragon for once! :)

ryanh221

Re: Dragon Keeper: The Dungeon

Post by ryanh221 »

Every single time I see a number on the News tab I get excited. Well done!
SerBaldur

Post by SerBaldur »

great job!
CyBear

Post by CyBear »

Thank you BGA! This is one of my favorite games - i have a physical copy straight from the KickStarter campaign, and I've played it a lot. But I'm sure I'll play it even more here :D
WarrenSJ

Post by WarrenSJ »

Not playable for me unfortunately.

I'm slightly colorblind and these colors don't work. In other games I can sometimes right-click and check the HTML-code to identify the color, but it won't work in this game.
Een

Post by Een »

WarrenSJ wrote:Not playable for me unfortunately.

I'm slightly colorblind and these colors don't work. In other games I can sometimes right-click and check the HTML-code to identify the color, but it won't work in this game.
It may require a little (or a lot of) zooming, but I think that the floor pattern / character depicted on the tile is different for each guild so that you can use it as a replacement to identifying colors.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

The floor pattern and depicted adventurer is different and consistent within each of the colors.
But they also include a lot of clutter, mobs and objects. So trying to identify which guild the tile belongs to would be quite tedious and straining.
wonderer

Post by wonderer »

Mac user using chrome and could not get the screen to be big enough or stable enough to work this game. Looked great but scrolling made it to big....or too small. At least in 3d.
JollyBird

Post by JollyBird »

Problem: Tiles not visible

Looks like an interesting game but sadly I can't get it playable. :?
Because the images of the tiles(adventurers) on the board won't load.
They all look as if they were turned over; plain brown.
While all the other images on the board are fine; the playerboards, list of special tile abilities, the wall etc.

I discovered the problem with a hotseat-game.
But also looking at the example-game on the game-page or looking at a game in progress gives the same problem.

In all other games I'm playing (turn-based) the images are loading as normal.

Since the problem is so specific - only with the images of the tiles on the board; I have no clue what to do about it.
My browser is Firefox; updated.
F5, clearing up browser, restart comp; don't help. Also D2 or D3 mode make no difference; same problem.
Any suggestion(s) are welcome! :idea:
Legonian

Post by Legonian »

JollyBird wrote:Problem: Tiles not visible

Looks like an interesting game but sadly I can't get it playable. :?
Because the images of the tiles(adventurers) on the board won't load.
They all look as if they were turned over; plain brown.
While all the other images on the board are fine; the playerboards, list of special tile abilities, the wall etc.

I discovered the problem with a hotseat-game.
But also looking at the example-game on the game-page or looking at a game in progress gives the same problem.

In all other games I'm playing (turn-based) the images are loading as normal.

Since the problem is so specific - only with the images of the tiles on the board; I have no clue what to do about it.
My browser is Firefox; updated.
F5, clearing up browser, restart comp; don't help. Also D2 or D3 mode make no difference; same problem.
Any suggestion(s) are welcome! :idea:
Same for me. All games I tried so far, 2 or 3D. Reload does not fix it.
Not sure if it´s relevant but I´m using Firefox 52.7.2 running on Windows 7 Pro SP1

Return to “Official announcements [en]”