Love Letter

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Daggerheart

Love Letter

Post by Daggerheart »

Post deleted.
Last edited by Daggerheart on 31 July 2018, 21:26, edited 2 times in total.
Liallan

Re: Strategy help Love Letter

Post by Liallan »

I'm starting to feel like you're advertising for google, which by the way, just more turns me off than anything else.

There's a difference between safe, and private.
Cappie

Post by Cappie »

Hmm, it seems to me that he is not advertising for Google, but just for his own site. Dont know if that is allowed here. But his site Has Some pretty Nice articles... :P
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

I'm not referring to his use of it, but the added comment on every one of these posts about the 100% safe google.

(Not to mention that no place is 100% safe, and safety isn't my concern when it comes to google.)
Daggerheart

Post by Daggerheart »

Sorry, I promote only my love for games and strategy :-)
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

You know, I thought about this the other day... nothing personal, it just happened to pop in my head.

Google allows the use of the same login everywhere you go. Which I don't consider safe to start with. (Though they certainly don't have a monopoly on this.) But worse, for work we use the google cloud. Whenever I am logged in there and I go anywhere else of google's, it automatically takes my work login with it. My work login not only requires my full real name, but it also includes the domain of my work. So I go somewhere else and I'm logged in with my real name and the place where I work, and am not always thinking about it. I'm not only an extremely private person, I'm even more private on the internet and never use my real name, and also just don't think where I work is anyone's business and should not be associated with social things that I am doing.

This happened about two days ago, that I was doing some personal stuff, glanced up and noticed my work login up in the corner and had to log out of my account real quick. Which is what made me think of this...

(But glad to see you removed the comment. :mrgreen: )
Yohanov

Post by Yohanov »

Good article maybe you could do one about the expansion which is played a lot on BGA.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

The link has an extra 's' on the end loveletter's'.

I think everyone has their own bluffing techniques and strategy so half of the guide is just your take on the game and not much use. Once you get used to the bluff, there is always the double bluff by guessing a card with the guard that you DO have in your hand. So the guard guess revealing information is not absolute.

The priest and guard combo SHOULD be played, as the other players should let it play out to eliminate a player that isn't them. It's only the priest effect player that has to do something.

The stuff about ditching your high cards is not hot IMO. I am not going to ditch the countess unless I have something better to do.

You overrate the baron, by eliminating a player you yourself may give away far too much information. You need to make sure the timing is right.

And no mention of how to play the King?

The process of elimination and other logic can often mean that should be able to tell how the final round or two may play out and force a win, or at least see what option is best to take.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

I have to preface my comments with the fact that Daggerheart did not write all of those guides, but has gathered them. (Not sure how many he wrote, if any.)

I will also say I'm not exactly an expert on this game, but there are things I've thought about. Oddly, I do better here than with my group, and trust me, it's not because they are all great players.

RicardoRix wrote: I think everyone has their own bluffing techniques and strategy so half of the guide is just your take on the game and not much use.
I would say that a main key of bluffing, rather than being any specific set of things, is simply to vary things. (Probably the best person I played with was someone I could never figure out cause you never knew what the heck she might do, including many things that seemed stupid but it fooled people. Took me a while to figure out it was intentional. Now all I have to do is figure out how she did that. :lol: )

The priest and guard combo SHOULD be played, as the other players should let it play out to eliminate a player that isn't them. It's only the priest effect player that has to do something.
First, what other players "should" do is based on those players, and despite that a lot of people have decided their way to play is the only right way (hence, the use of the word "should" far too often, which implies correctness), the other people may think differently. Second, if someone else can eliminate them, why not do it? Especially if they can do it before it gets to the "victim's" turn. (And also assuming they have enough info to make a good guess.) Playing a Priest doesn't prove you have a Guard. (In fact, I often guess they've got a Baron with it, and quite often that is correct.) A Priest is good for trying to force someone to play that card.

The stuff about ditching your high cards is not hot IMO. I am not going to ditch the countess unless I have something better to do.
That I agree with. I thought that kind of sounded weird, but I figured someone else knew something I didn't. I won't say I'd never dump the Countess, but I definitely don't want to near the end of the round unless there's a good reason to do it.
You overrate the baron, by eliminating a player you yourself may give away far too much information. You need to make sure the timing is right.
I would agree with that too. I actually detest the Baron, except in specific situations. (Last time I played with my group, two rounds in a row I had that thing with a Princess and was unlucky enough that the opponent had something high. That was definitely no fun.)

Return to “Love Letter”