Fixing Validated Translations

BGA localization discussions
Charlymorgoth

Re: Fixing Validated Translations

Post by Charlymorgoth »

Incorrect translation of italian Tokaido string related to the choice of the traveller.
${player_name} travel as ${name} ${nametr}
${player_name} viaggia fino ${name} ${nametr}

please substitute the word "fino" with "come"

thanks
Een

Post by Een »

Charlymorgoth wrote:Incorrect translation of italian Tokaido string related to the choice of the traveller.
${player_name} travel as ${name} ${nametr}
${player_name} viaggia fino ${name} ${nametr}

please substitute the word "fino" with "come"

thanks
Done, thanks! :)
fynjy

Post by fynjy »

innovation, russian translation
incorrect translation for string:
Note: Transfered cards from other players do not count toward this achievement, nor does exchanging cards from your hand and score pile.
-> Примечание: Перемещаемые карты от других игроков не учитываются этой картой лидерства, и не обмениваются с картами из зоны влияния и вашей руки. (wrong)
https://ru.boardgamearena.com/#!transla ... RU&page=11
It should be, for example: Примечание: Перемещаемые карты от других игроков не учитываются этой картой лидерства, также не учитывается обмен карт из зоны влияния и вашей руки.
Maybe it can be better.
Een

Post by Een »

fynjy wrote:innovation, russian translation
incorrect translation for string:
Note: Transfered cards from other players do not count toward this achievement, nor does exchanging cards from your hand and score pile.
-> Примечание: Перемещаемые карты от других игроков не учитываются этой картой лидерства, и не обмениваются с картами из зоны влияния и вашей руки. (wrong)
https://ru.boardgamearena.com/#!transla ... RU&page=11
It should be, for example: Примечание: Перемещаемые карты от других игроков не учитываются этой картой лидерства, также не учитывается обмен карт из зоны влияния и вашей руки.
Maybe it can be better.
Changed it to your proposal. Thanks!
fynjy

Post by fynjy »

english string (as above): Note: Transfered cards from other players do not count toward this achievement, nor does exchanging cards from your hand and score pile.
Why "does" is in this string? I think "do" should be there instead of "does" because noun "cards" is in plural number.
Een

Post by Een »

fynjy wrote:english string (as above): Note: Transfered cards from other players do not count toward this achievement, nor does exchanging cards from your hand and score pile.
Why "does" is in this string? I think "do" should be there instead of "does" because noun "cards" is in plural number.
I'd say that the subject for "does" is "exchanging cards" (wich is an action, hence singular). But I'm not an English native speaker, so I'll leave it up to an English native speaker to raise an issue about this if it's incorrect.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Een wrote:
fynjy wrote:english string (as above): Note: Transfered cards from other players do not count toward this achievement, nor does exchanging cards from your hand and score pile.
I'd say that the subject for "does" is "exchanging cards" (wich is an action, hence singular). But I'm not an English native speaker, so I'll leave it up to an English native speaker to raise an issue about this if it's incorrect.
You're technically correct, since the cards referred to there isn't the subject, making fynjy incorrect. However, it's an awkwardly worded sentence, confusing to read, plus it's sort of "switching gears" by changing over to the action, and things like "transferred cards from other players" is splitting up the adjective, but I see that kind of thing in a lot of games. Which cards? The ones "transferred from other players." I don't know if splitting that phrase is flat-out wrong (probably), but it sounds very, very odd and makes it difficult to read the sentence.

Is this still from Innovation? I don't know the game, but a better way to state this: Cards transferred from other players do not count toward this achievement, nor do cards exchanged from your hand or score pile. This should still fit the context correctly, right?
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Liallan wrote:Is this still from Innovation? I don't know the game, but a better way to state this: Cards transferred from other players do not count toward this achievement, nor do cards exchanged from your hand or score pile. This should still fit the context correctly, right?
I found it and went ahead and fixed it and did some other minor stuff. There's some pretty strange wordings in this.

One thing I'm not sure about - like errors on something like the player aide, if that came directly from the game, if we should be correcting that? There are things that are worded badly, but that's how it would be if you owned the game. (I'm annoyed over "at least or more..." - well, doesn't "at least" kind of already imply "more"? Oiy. :? )

The English in the rules is actually pretty good. It really doesn't sound like a translation. (Not sure who Asmadi is.) I got a list of all the cards - if I ever have time, I'd love to go through all those and check them.

Curious game. The rules aren't too hard, but strategy sounds like a real bear.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

Liallan wrote:
Transfered cards from other players do not count toward this achievement, nor does exchanging cards from your hand and score pile.
Is a direct copy/paste from the Monument special achievement, including the misspelling.

I'm not quite sure what you find confusing about it, splitting adjective?

The only real flaw I think the string has is how exchanged cards are mentioned as an attachment.

"Transferred cards from other players, and exchanged cards from your hand to your score pile, do not count toward this achievement."
^Maybe?^
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

N_Faker wrote:
Liallan wrote: Transfered cards from other players do not count toward this achievement, nor does exchanging cards from your hand and score pile.
I'm not quite sure what you find confusing about it, splitting adjective?
"Transferred from other players" is an adjective phrase that uses a verb with a preposition. Splitting things like this up can be/sound very awkward and awkward is going to sound confusing. Sounding confusing to me is maybe cause I've been a native speaker my whole life. I have only recently started seeing stuff like that. I don't know whether it's because I see so much translated stuff these days (and done incorrectly), or even because people growing up here in our current lousy school system have horrendous writing skills. But no one I know (in person) would split that phrase around the noun it modifies, even if they don't know why - it's just sounds awkward. (At least verbally - sometimes people don't notice things when they write them.)

I tried to find something "official" about this, but couldn't find a specific rule about adjective phrases, but as a general rule, splitting things like that is awkward. Would you say "Frightened people by thunder should cover their ears"? That sounds completely ridiculous to me. Hopefully it sounds ridiculous to you (or the example fails to prove the point). It's appropriate to say "People frightened by thunder..." "Frightened by thunder" is an adjective phrase using the -ed form of a past participle, exactly like "transferred from other players."

In this case the adjective is necessary to tell us "which cards." Well, the ones that were transferred from other players. If I answer that with only "the transferred ones," it's not complete because there's more to it: it's the ones transferred from other players, which shouldn't be split on the other side of the noun. It's a phrase and this type should follow the noun.

"Transferred cards from other players, and exchanged cards from your hand to your score pile, do not count toward this achievement."
^Maybe?^
As to the "exchanged cards from your hand to your score pile," that has a different implication than the original wording. The original implies that things can be exchanged from the score pile. Not knowing what all these (over 100) cards say, I don't know what all could happen, but the rules make reference to an exchange between your hand and your score pile. The word "exchange" implies a two-way transaction. Your wording implies a one-way transaction, only from hand to score pile, making the word "exchange" incorrect. But what is the intended meaning? (I know the Achieve is looking at top cards and the score pile.)

EDIT: There's a follow-up to this, but it's on the next page.
Last edited by Liallan on 22 April 2018, 06:13, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Translations”