Ice Cold Ice Hockey

Board Game Arena Official announcements
Een

Ice Cold Ice Hockey

Post by Een »

Did you know that the 2018 Ice Hockey World Championship is starting today (May the 4th be with you) in Denmark?

On this occasion, thanks to the game designer Andrew S. Fischer and to the developer DrKarotte, we are happy to release Ice Cold Ice Hockey on Board Game Arena for all ice hockey fans!

Ice Cold Ice Hockey is a web published game for 2 players designed to simulate professional ice hockey. If you are familiar with the rules and technical vocabulary of ice hockey you should get into this game very quickly. Otherwise, it's a good opportunity to discover the world of ice hockey! :)

During the game, you'll manage your team actions to get in position to shoot and score. All passing, skating, shooting, defense, shot-blocking and goaltending actions are managed through a deck of 68 cards: hand management and card combinations will be key to get to beat your opponent!

We would like to thank the designer Andrew S. Fischer for proposing his game for an online adaptation, and the developer DrKarotte for an awesome development work on a game with lots of effects and cards combinations to manage.

We hope that you'll enjoy experiencing the excitement of ice hockey on BGA!

BoardgameTim

Re: Ice Cold Ice Hockey

Post by BoardgameTim »

Strange game... Totally random. You have to take 40 shots on target to score. Totally luck based.
LucianObi

Post by LucianObi »

Sono un appassionato di hockey su ghiaccio e saluto con grande gioia questa notizia!
shadow_alex

Post by shadow_alex »

I’m adding my comment to counterbalance the negative one above.
I agree that the game is quite random but what is much more important for me, it captivates the feeling of a real hockey match. I can easily imagine the moves, great saves, forechecks when i play the cards. Also it certainly has tension when you open a card with shot result. adrenaline, something that is a must in a sports game.
Don’t agree about low percentage of goals vs shots. it’s just right. if you play a full game, statistics will be absolutely in line with real games, I had scores 5-2, 2-5, 5-0, 3-1, 3-4 in my games. With shots number in the range between 25 and 40+ per game.
To make it less random, you would need either to add real teams or players with characteristics or some special abilities - it would add additional rules and extra difficulty not always needed for a card game, but it could be something to buld and expansion on. Not sure about players, but teams - certainly, yes.

My conclusion: it absolutely works for me, it has hand management side, where you need to make hard decisions on what to play and what to keep, and also a small element of bluffing as well. All hockey details are there, penalties, fights, shooutouts, hits, breakaways. I also can compare it with Ice Breaker game I own. ICIH is the one I would prefr to play in all situations. That said, it can demotivate some players, when they conceed a goal after not scoring with 20 shots of their own.

Return to “Official announcements [en]”