Is it okay to work on and submit board games not yet printed?

Game development with Board Game Arena Studio
Shioli

Is it okay to work on and submit board games not yet printed?

Post by Shioli »

Hello,

I would like to know as the title says, if it is okay to submit board games that are not yet printed. This site has a lot of players and it would be invaluable to playtest in such place. However, is this acceptable? will Players even be interested?
RicardoRix

Re: Is it okay to work on and submit board games not yet printed?

Post by RicardoRix »

Yeah, BGA *needs* some kind of test site.

They don't know what they are missing! BoardGame & Developer communities are CRAZY hungry for stuff like this.
Victoria_La_Dev0

Post by Victoria_La_Dev0 »

Game would be accepted but if you are designer it been proven not to work very well, i.e. players on the site not going to jump on it, and you won't get a good feedback about the game. Digital adaptation is VERY expensive. Its just not worse it. Doing a prototype in paper/wooden cubes and finding group
of real testers a way more cheaper and more effective.

I am not sure about why BGA needs test site? All games that were developed to completion were published, people just don't play them.
We can create subgroup of "unpublished games" testers, but it will be even less people.

The reasons why game won't be accepted:
- BGA did not receive a digital rights license from author or rights owners
- The game is not suitable for online adaptation (i.e. memory game, since you don't see the person, they may be cheating by writing all down)
- The game is not a board game, i.e. its a video game of some sort or not a game at all (i.e. skill test)
- The game if offensive or not appropriate for wide audience

If you have doubts write the admins with description BEFORE you start the development
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

Years ago, I helped run / code a community fan based website called TMX.
This was based around a PC driving called Trackmania by a french company called Nadeo.
The game allowed players to create driving tracks and save replays to the tracks.
Doesn't sound like much does it, but giving players a creative outlet of making and sharing tracks meant that a whole community kept the game going for a very long time,
and in fact it is still going more than 15 years on. Some of the tracks taking teams of people MONTHS to complete.
The TMX community turned into a major force behind the game's success and longevity, eventually being bought by activision.
At the time I helped run a competition that made a new campaign of tracks go into the main game.

Do not underestimate the force and will of the people creating their own stuff.

For the younger people that have no idea what I'm taling about I'll just say "Garry's Mod".

Just look at BGG, a lot of serious time spent creating all sorts of stuff about board games all within the crapiest website design you've ever seen.
And if I have to convince you about commitment of developers then........

Tabletop Simulator anyone?

2018. Internet. BoardGames. CreatingStuff.
- Am I in the wrong place?
Victoria_La

Post by Victoria_La »

RicardoRix wrote: Just look at BGG, a lot of serious time spent creating all sorts of stuff about board games all within the crapiest website design you've ever seen.
- Am I in the wrong place?
Yes you are in the wrong place, you trying to insult people who supporting this website, to pursue them to do something for you?
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

no insult intended.

wrong end of the stick.

- k then bye ;)

Return to “Developers”