Thoughts about diversifying the forums?

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
nmego

Thoughts about diversifying the forums?

Post by nmego »

The forums here on BGA aren't nearly as active as other forums in other sites. BGG being an example. How about diversifying it out by adding other forums like General Chat / Forum Games / Science Talk / Board Game Competitions / Let's play a Board Game Together / etc..? I'm curious to hear opinions on the matter.
fafa-fr

Re: Thoughts about diversifying the forums?

Post by fafa-fr »

My opinion on the matter is that if I want to talk about boardgames, but not about BGA, I will generally use BGG's forum (BGG is boardgamegeek.com), not BGA's, because BGG is already a very active and interesting community, and I don't feel the need to create a new one. And if I want to talk about non-boardgame-related topics, I will use neither of these, I'll talk with people "face to face" (I don't like to say "in real life"). I think opinions may vary depending on how much you feel you're part of a community with other forum users. My usage of BGA (games + forum) is not enough to make me feel this, but maybe it will for other users.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Well, there's already an individual forum for each game they have, so no need to have anything further for that in my opinion. You can already post anything you like (except bugs) in those forums. They would feel more useful if people would actually use them, but game-specific posts still end up in the general forums a lot.

I never mind having an off-topic forum, basically for anything that isn't related to games. The thing is, you're right that the forums here aren't that active. I don't know if having a forum like that would draw attention, but I always feel like around here all the posts have "some purpose" and that people never "just chat" about stuff. So I would disagree with fafa-fr that it's a "very active and interesting community." Maybe games are active, but the forums aren't, and most people don't chat during the games. I don't feel much of any sense of community here. And I've been to a lot of sites and a lot of forums, so I have a lot to compare with.

On the other hand, I don't know that adding more forums is going to change any of that.
fafa-fr

Post by fafa-fr »

Hi,
Liallan wrote:So I would disagree with fafa-fr that it's a "very active and interesting community."
I was speaking about BGG, opposing it to BGA, so I agree with you. :)
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

fafa-fr wrote:Hi,
Liallan wrote:So I would disagree with fafa-fr that it's a "very active and interesting community."
I was speaking about BGG, opposing it to BGA, so I agree with you. :)
Ah, misread. I don't know why - it's pretty obvious what you said. ;)

Return to “Discussions”