7 Wonders

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Daggerheart

7 Wonders

Post by Daggerheart »

Post deleted
Last edited by Daggerheart on 31 July 2018, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
RicardoRix

Re: Strategy guide 7 Wonders

Post by RicardoRix »

lifted straight from here right:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/691370 ... ers/page/1

do you ask for permission?
Daggerheart

Post by Daggerheart »

I credit the author by name. BGG posts are not copyrighted.

I don't post stuff from retail books or similar. BGG posts can be deleted or similar. I help save the guides for the future.

What is you problem really??
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

so no, you don't ask for permission.
It's the authors intent for it to be read on BGG, that's why it was posted there. nothing is ever going to get 'lost'.
nandblock

Post by nandblock »

Any piece of writing, including a forum post, is automatically copyright the author. Crediting them while reproducing their writing without permission does not make it any less of a violation of copyright. You need their express permission to republish it on your site.
nmego

Post by nmego »

nandblock wrote:Any piece of writing, including a forum post, is automatically copyright the author. Crediting them while reproducing their writing without permission does not make it any less of a violation of copyright. You need their express permission to republish it on your site.
That's interesting, do you have any sources of the bolded part?
nandblock

Post by nandblock »

Uh, the Berne Convention?

Setting aside the general question, in this particular case Daggerheart has violated the BGG Terms of Service: https://boardgamegeek.com/terms

Specifically:
5.C. You own the rights to your User Submissions and give us the right to use them for their purposes in the Geek Websites.

You retain all of your ownership rights in your User Submissions. By uploading User Submissions to BoardGameGeek, you hereby grant BoardGameGeek a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, sublicenseable, and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, adapt, modify, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the User Submissions in connection with the Geek Websites, website extensions, and the business of BoardGameGeek and its successors and affiliates, including without limitation for promoting the Geek Websites in any media formats and through any media channels.
This makes it clear that users retain the rights to their content, although BGG is licensed to make use of that content.
6.E. Don't make unauthorized copies of anything on the site

You shall not engage in the use, copying, or distribution of any of the User Submissions other than expressly permitted herein, including any use, copying, or distribution of User Submissions of third parties obtained through the Geek Websites for any commercial purposes. You shall not circumvent, disable, or otherwise interfere with security-related features of BoardGameGeek or features that prevent or restrict use or copying of any User Submissions or enforce limitations on use of BoardGameGeek or the User Submissions therein.
This makes it clear that users aren't allowed to swipe stuff off the site without permission.
Daggerheart

Post by Daggerheart »

A post on a public forum non-password protected gives copyright?? Sounds strange to me.

I will ask him to be sure then.

1) I don't have any ads or anything, and it's not a commercial site/blog I run
2) I only want to endorse board gaming and preserve strategy guides for the future (posts gets deleted/sites can get shut down and similar)
3) People that post guides at BGG want people that love the same game to read what they share. I just help them endorse this. They get credited with their name
4) At the BGG forum there can be tons of posts, I destill the best information to players interested in a game. The guides/info become more accessible
nandblock

Post by nandblock »

You know, if I delete a post I wrote, then I'm not expecting or asking for some dude to keep it in print. If I deleted it, I want it DELETED--I certainly don't want it reprinted "with credit"! What's hard to grasp about this?
Daggerheart

Post by Daggerheart »

nandblock wrote:You know, if I delete a post I wrote, then I'm not expecting or asking for some dude to keep it in print. If I deleted it, I want it DELETED--I certainly don't want it reprinted "with credit"! What's hard to grasp about this?
BGG have banned several of their users. Their accounts gets deleted and all that they posted. Why they delete users? Often due to that they can't handle people that write something negative on their site. It's like Russia with strong censorship of opinions they don't like. This is the deleting I refer too, not deleting by users themselves. But it's pretty clear I have more knowledge about this than you.

What BGG don't like? Talk about competition in board games, critizism of their rating lists which are extremly bad. If you disagree with "pets" of the moderators or the moderator's opinion about some of these topics, you can get warnings and bans. If a user get deleted, what can he do? He is not allowed to tell the other users what happend. So basicly he is permanent shut down and silenced.

Return to “7 Wonders”