7 Wonders

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
N_Faker

Re: Strategy guide 7 Wonders

Post by N_Faker »

5.C. You own the rights to your User Submissions and give us the right to use them for their purposes in the Geek Websites.

You retain all of your ownership rights in your User Submissions. By uploading User Submissions to BoardGameGeek, you hereby grant BoardGameGeek a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, sublicenseable, and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, adapt, modify, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the User Submissions in connection with the Geek Websites, website extensions, and the business of BoardGameGeek and its successors and affiliates, including without limitation for promoting the Geek Websites in any media formats and through any media channels.
nandblock wrote:You know, if I delete a post I wrote, then I'm not expecting or asking for some dude to keep it in print. If I deleted it, I want it DELETED--I certainly don't want it reprinted "with credit"! What's hard to grasp about this?
Funny. BBG claims the right to do whatever the hell they want with whatever you may submit to their site.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

You need to ask for permission.

hold on, let me rephrase that:

You HAVE to ask for permission, otherwise hands off.
nandblock

Post by nandblock »

If users who are banned from BGG approach you, asking for you to repost their writing, then fine: repost it, with their consent. Without that consent, you are in the wrong.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

There is no copyright if there are none to claim a copyright infringement.
The original poster has been gone for 4 years, without leaving any contact info what so ever.

So I suppose the both of you are chewing out Daggerheart on behalf of BGG. Good on you.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

it's just about doing the right thing, forget about laws and winning arguments.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

But what do you claim is the right thing to do here? Request permission from BGG?

The original poster is unreachable, so his permission cannot be acquired. But luckily, BGG has all the rights for the distribution of his post so they can give permission.
nmego

Post by nmego »

Alright, this might seem incredibly stupid but I'll say it anyway. (Incredible wall of rant is coming, you can skip ahead if you want)

Assuming I had a wealth of experience in life from chess lectures all around, then I grew up to become an amazing chess player and I got asked to give lectures. I remembered the past lectures I had in my life and I recited a couple of them, because they were insightful. Would that violate "copyright"? (It is not written content, but other than that it is the same scenario).

Assuming I had a wealth of experience in life from "READING" chess articles, then I wrote a couple of articles explaining what I understood from them. would that violate copyright?

But, what if the case against copyright would be "using the exact words". then you can argue that if I have a stellar memory. I could recite everything I've heard in the exact same way.

You know, I think there is something weird or paradoxical between sharing knowledge and copyright, like the two don't make a lot of sense together.

It is different when you make a nice statue of or art, or make a nice novel, or submit an invention, or create an amazing game, or make a really cool non-open source program. you've worked hard for it. nobody should copy it.

But it is incredibly different with sharing knowledge, you've worked hard SO THAT:
1. people LEARN from your knowledge 2. AND SHARE IT

Knowledge is like money, it is like when you give money to a poor kid and that kid saw someone poorer than him and shares the money with them.

Once knowledge enters your mind, it is ENTIRELY YOURS.

There are a LOT of stupid things in life (and moreso on the internet). and a lot of them don't make any sense.

One last thing, (which is incredibly unrelated and you shouldn't judge me for being completely off-topic for talking about it because I've already mentioned that :P and I think it is incredibly rant-ish, but I had to mention it anyway).

Assuming there is a really nice book on applied mathematics. that is banned from a country. there is a really smart boy in that country who really wants to read that book. you screenshot-ted the book (or used other means) and managed to deliver its contents to the guy. later on he makes a massive invention that changes the world using the knowledge that he has gained. You could argue that the copyright here was stupid and impractical and you did the right thing. this is in some ways similar to this scenario albiet not entirely similar.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Just a little rant above, that is a little unfiltered and might not make a lot of sense/illogical, I'm looking forward to hearing the arguments on it)

That aside, if you really want not to break the copyrights of BGG (even if they don't make a lot of sense) here is an approach that might work:

1. Use the web.archive.org to archive the articles you care about. (Dunno about its support for forum posts but it should be good.)
2. Put the links on your website.

That should function as a way to share all the good articles that you've found on BGG. In one place. Using the web.archive.org to deal with the possibilities of the deletion of the content. And also as a bonus it would make your website feel a little less than massive walls and keeps it more organized.

Another way would be, if you look back into my previous rant, and if you're only breaking copyright if you're using the exact same words, you can just add a word or two of your own or a couple of comments.

-------------------
Daggerheart wrote: BGG have banned several of their users. Their accounts gets deleted and all that they posted. Why they delete users? Often due to that they can't handle people that write something negative on their site. It's like Russia with strong censorship of opinions they don't like. This is the deleting I refer too, not deleting by users themselves. But it's pretty clear I have more knowledge about this than you.

What BGG don't like? Talk about competition in board games, critizism of their rating lists which are extremly bad. If you disagree with "pets" of the moderators or the moderator's opinion about some of these topics, you can get warnings and bans. If a user get deleted, what can he do? He is not allowed to tell the other users what happend. So basicly he is permanent shut down and silenced.
curious about this, do you have any sources?
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

Ah, the great Wilson Mizner quote: "When you steal from one author, it's plagiarism; if you steal from many, it's research."

Intellectual property rights are sometimes non-intuitive. Let's say I've got eggs at the top of a cliff that for some reason I want safely at the bottom. I don't want to do the work myself, so I hire a few people to do it. They get paid to put eggs in a basket and climb down the cliff, then climb back up to get more. No problem, money for physical labor.
One of the workers decides to spend some of their free time carving out steps to walk on. It makes their job easier. Do they still get paid the same? Can they charge for others to use their steps?
One of the workers then decides to use their free time doing research, and finds they can attach a parachute to the basket, and then just toss them off the cliff. They still get to the destination safely. Should this person get paid the same as the others, for mental labor instead of physical labor? Can someone else start using parachutes too? Does the other person owe the inventor anything for using the parachute?
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

The link to this guide on the '7 Wonders' game page is not in violation of BGA rules.

Don't report it again, unless there is a fault with the link itself.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

Who are you addressing that too?

Why is that link not a link to the BGG post?

Return to “7 Wonders”