Hypnosia Rules Suggestion

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
EllieK

Hypnosia Rules Suggestion

Post by EllieK »

I really like Hypnosia, however, the end game can be a long, unresolved stalemate, without any official rules for handling such a situation. Based on my plays of the game I think the stalemate can be alleviated by changing the center scoring from -- 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 to -- 5, 4, 3, 2, 3. By making the final score a 3 instead of a 1, additional urgency is placed on ending the game.

I also think it would make the game more competitive and enjoyable. It would also break the game/point strategy into two different camps. Early game (the first two points 5 and 4), which currently is the most dynamic and exciting segment of the game, remains much the same -- 'get to the center and grab one of the most valuable point chits'. Late game (the last three points) which is by far the weakest part of the game because the lack of available points creates a boring stalemate with one player eventually ending the tedium, would be greatly improved with the addition of two extra points. The 3, 2, 3 ending would help this game greatly.

Please consider!

Can you make such a change?
Cappie

Re: Hypnosia Rules Suggestion

Post by Cappie »

Would it solve the problem?
If you score the first two pawns in a 2 player game, the last three won't resolve anything if is 323 which is a Total of 8
EllieK

Post by EllieK »

I don't think the problem is that getting the first two pawns in gives you an advantage. I think the issue is the size of the advantage. Even if another player gets the last three pawns in they still only get 6 points -- 6 points for three pawns in center. This results in a 3 point runaway. It's hard to make up 3 points by taking other pawns. It negates all the fun of the late game. You can still give an advantage to a player that gets the first two in, they still get 9 points but it possible for another player to get 8 points. In that case all the 8 point player need to do is take one of the lead player's pawns. Then they have the lead.

The initial "race to the center" at the beginning of this game is part of the fun. And I think part of the spirit of the game is being the first to the center. However, the advantage, as it stands, puts a damper on the competition. A 9 vs 8 point advantage maintains the competition while a 9 vs 6 advantage is a huge advantage. Of course there are other player counts, I usually play three player, and other place finishes that should be considered but I have to think the 3 point final spot makes the game more fun in all situations.

Once this game becomes a runaway it loses all of its entertainment. This game is not really much fun at the end. Who wants to go around in a circle for forty minutes to haul in that last 1 point. One point! No. There has to be some tension at the end of the game.

I think it should be offered as an option. I'm sure it would add tension to the game. Much needed tension.
Cappie

Post by Cappie »

I think it would indeed solve Some problem in games with more than 2 players.
But i do think this game is never really getting exciting. Its mainly Rolling dice and Very little tactical decisions.
EllieK

Post by EllieK »

I've been thinking about this and I've had a chance to read some other good suggestions regarding scoring changes. I think one of the things common in more modern games is the addition of a dynamic element to the game, making the game play differently with each subsequent play. Think of the variable board set ups and layouts in games as simple as Battle Sheep (a great one if you've never tried it).

I think a variable point draw at the beginning of Hypnosia would be very beneficial. Think of it as five scoring tokens drawn from a bag made up of -- one 5 pt token, two 4 pt tokens, three 3 pt tokens, and two 2 pt tokens (or some similar composition). Five of those tokens are drawn and placed sequentially in the middle of the board. That then becomes the scoring for that particular play. That's not a lot of change but it does mix the strategy up a bit.

I also like the idea of end points being accessible from only one space in the center square. That change could also be combined with this change for multiple options.

Really like Hypnosia. Keep up the good work!

Return to “Hypnosia”