RESIGN option for Hex

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
Olin IX

RESIGN option for Hex

Post by Olin IX »

There is no RESIGN option for Hex. The resign option should be added AS A GENERAL FEATURE for any 2-players game (chess, Go, hex, etc.). It would avoid neccessity to play till the very end the game which is already lost.
Jest Phulin

Re: RESIGN option for Hex

Post by Jest Phulin »

Well, there is the "concede the game" option... :)

Settings (gear) -> Concede the Game (white flag). This action is taken by the player who feels they cannot win, and don't want to waste the time of both players. If I recall correctly, it is only active once 50% game progression is made, but I'm not certain of that.

When conceding the game, the conceding player is counted as a full loss, the winner as a full win. Since score doesn't matter in BGA's adaptation of ELO, this will have the same result as a game fully played out.

This is different than abandoning a game, where all players must agree to the action, and the system acts like the game never happened.
Olin IX

Post by Olin IX »

I have checked and indeed there is the option "concede the game". But.....

At my opinion it should not be in "settings" menu because it is one of the options in the game, like normal move. I can always make a move, or resgin. The option should exists only for 2-player games and must not exists for many-player games (unless there are special rules for resigning a player during the game - like in Civilization - and they are fully implmented in BGA). Now, the option is available also during many-player game like Terra Mystica. I have not tested how it works, but this should not be available during such games at all - because it is not "resigning" but "abandoning".
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

There is a distinct difference between "conceding" and "abandoning," and both are implemented on BGA.

Conceding (or resigning) is an admission by one player that they cannot win the game. The game concludes and ELO is adjusted with the conceding player losing to the non-conceding player. It is only active during 2-player games. Even though the option is shown during 3+ player games, it will display an error message if attempted with more than two active players.

Abandoning is a group admission that something more important than finishing the game is happening. All players must agree. When all players agree to abandon, the game vanishes like it never happened. This is available no matter the number of players. (Well, I haven't checked it as a single player against the Can't Stop bot, but I'm fairly certain the bot agrees to abandon.)

It makes more sense to put these outside the specific game interface than within them. This is because all games have the potential to be abandoned, and all games have the potential to be down to two players and have one person wish to concede. Adding a concede interface to games that are only played 2-player would require adding an interface to every game (except for 7-Wonders, and that's just because the 2-player rules aren't implemented on BGA*). Creating a button/interface option for each game is unnecessary extra work.

The only game that I know of where this extra work was deemed important was in Hive. This was only because these two options didn't cover all possible outcomes, and a "Propose a draw" button was needed -- admission by both players that they couldn't win, but that they wanted a record of the game.
---
*Side note: a concede button on 7-Wonders would be a moot point without the 2-player implementation. If the game starts out with more than 2 players, the only way to get to 2 would be for one person to quit the game. As soon as that happens, all other players are considered winners and there is no difference between taking the game to its finish (by actual play or concession) or quitting individually. However, games that were originally designed for more than 2 players, but then had 2-player rules implemented (Race for the Galaxy, Tokaido, et al), would still require a concede mechanic.
Olin IX

Post by Olin IX »

OK, that's all clear. But could you explain what happens if I choose "concede" option playing 4-player game (TM for expamle)? I haven't tried it because I would not like to loose my reputation (and loose a game of course!).
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

If I recall correctly, attempting to concede when it is not two active players triggers an error message.
Olin IX

Post by Olin IX »

OK, thanks.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

I do have to agree that Settings is a strange place to put that. It's not a "setting," and often people don't realize what is available up there. Or name it something besides Settings (and obviously use a different symbol than a gear).
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

Concede, Abandon and Quit. None of these are actually part of the game itself.

I would say that these actions are reasonably placed, where else could they be placed?

Return to “Suggestions”