Optionally disable Field Scoring

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
CraWleR

Optionally disable Field Scoring

Post by CraWleR »

I don't know what version of Carcassonne my brothers have (I could ask), but the whole concept of Fields was new to me when I first played it on BGA. We've tried playing it together and switched to "Carcassonne Tiles & Tactics" game on Steam. One of the reasons was because it allows Disabling Fields essentially no longer giving you the option of placing Meeples on Fields.

Any chance this could be done on BGA? Limiting certain actions should be a lot easier than implementing them, right?
CB Droege

Re: Optionally disable Field Scoring

Post by CB Droege »

No, that's not how the game works, and there has never been a version in which that is an option.
CraWleR

Post by CraWleR »

BoardGameGeek has a good thread about it: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/91908/ ... ut-farmers
Maybe that's what I've been taught on purpose. Maybe someone just missed it. Will check either way.

Up to you whether you want to do it. Our group has an alternative to go to. Suggesting because I feel like it would be beneficial to have the option.
Daggerheart

Post by Daggerheart »

Field scoring is key to make the game really good. It's about the fine balance of number of meeples, creating a perfect game.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

I agree with Daggerheart. The number of meeples one has is limited on purpose. Deciding whether or not to lock one up for the duration of the game in return for a potentially large payout is an important element.
Daggerheart

Post by Daggerheart »

Jest Phulin wrote:I agree with Daggerheart. The number of meeples one has is limited on purpose. Deciding whether or not to lock one up for the duration of the game in return for a potentially large payout is an important element.
Someone hijacked your account? You agree with me on something??? Can't be true.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Well, someone must have hijacked my account as well cause I also agree with Daggerheart.

CraWleR, I think your brothers either didn't understand those rules or just didn't like them, but you were definitely taught incorrectly. And as a house rule among you, you can do whatever you want.

That thread of BGG was started by someone who can't seem to get his family to understand the rules correctly, and while it's possible he's just teaching it badly, I have a feeling his family just can't handle the game very well. I don't think this site should change rules because there's some non-gamers out there who can't handle something. It's not that I think everyone who plays here should be able to handle every game, of any level, but rather that if you can't handle the level of the game, maybe it's not something you should be playing, rather than dummying down the game.

That said, I don't have an issue with minor tweaks to the rules that are options (and I'm all for options), but I think removing the farmers is a major change that is too integral part of the game and shouldn't be removed even as an option. And adding expansions or other options isn't really the same thing. We're talking about a drastic change to the base game.

And I definitely don't think that should happen just because someone initially learned the game incorrectly. (Perhaps you should check and see why you were taught incorrectly?)

(Once again proving why I prefer to just read the rules for myself....)
CraWleR

Post by CraWleR »

Wow :D Just shows how some people don't make any sense :D Whatever, like I said, up to you. It's an improvement, however whether you use the suggestion or not is up to you. Me and my friends already have a version that has that option, so not like I care much.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

It is an option for Asmodee Digital's adaption of the game.

https://asmodee.helpshift.com/a/carcass ... ields&l=en
CraWleR

Post by CraWleR »

N_Faker wrote:It is an option for Asmodee Digital's adaption of the game.

https://asmodee.helpshift.com/a/carcass ... ields&l=en
Exactly :) I did mention it in the opening post though and that's the one we now use with friends:
CraWleR wrote:We've tried playing it together and switched to "Carcassonne Tiles & Tactics" game on Steam. One of the reasons was because it allows Disabling Fields essentially no longer giving you the option of placing Meeples on Fields.
Funny enough, I know this would take an hour or less of implementation/development, so I'm definitely not going to grind any axes. If the community doesn't want it, works for me.

Return to “Carcassonne”