Please remove random memory

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Cappie

Please remove random memory

Post by Cappie »

I dont know why there should be a random memory. Just let the first two "real" memories battle Each other.
FourGiving

Re: Please remove random memory

Post by FourGiving »

Thanks for the suggestion. What you are suggesting is how the game was when I first imagined it. But it seemed "boring" to us to automatically have the first sentence created have no competition of any kind. So we came up with the random memory as it is now. If we ever get a real life version produced, there is no harm in playing the game without the random memory. As for BGA, I'll ask my programmer friend how hard it would be to add a "No Random" variant.
Cappie

Post by Cappie »

Then I do really like your first imagination of the game :)

I find it very strange to battle against some random placed cards. How can that ever be a better made sentence then one with some thought in it.

And of course, random can always be funnier or better associated. But it still are some random cards. No fun in trying to beat that or competing against that.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

While the random memory is quite pointless, it be equally pointless to remove it after adding it.

On the point of the competing memories, having them pitted against each other sequentially will always favor the last memories.
How about having everyone construct a memory which are then voted on?
FourGiving

Post by FourGiving »

You are correct that, because we get "bored", later memories seem to be more favored. One variant we use at home is that in a tie the current Champion gets to break the tie, increasing their odds of staying around.

The problems with multiple sentences at once are many. More components to keep track of, especially in the real life version. But especially that you'd need lots of voting cards, knowing who had what sentence, and you'd still end up with ties. For example, in a six player game, what if 3 players got 2 votes each? It just gets more cumbersome than a simple party game should be.

The other option, which SEEMS to have merit, is to award a sentence points for each turn it wins the vote. But then this totally stinks for those players going last :( It could also lead to some "gamey" votes, where someone is voting against a sentence only because they don't want that person to get anymore points.

In the real life version there aren't even any bonus points given to best sentence at the end. There are just 2 winners - Best scorer and best memory at end. This is why BGA is not a perfect setting for "party games", but we did the best we could.

Thanks very much for the suggestions and the support!
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

FourGiving wrote:The problems with multiple sentences at once are many. More components to keep track of, especially in the real life version. But especially that you'd need lots of voting cards, knowing who had what sentence, and you'd still end up with ties. For example, in a six player game, what if 3 players got 2 votes each? It just gets more cumbersome than a simple party game should be.
Everyone could have multiple votes to give to their favored memory, ties should then lead to another vote to determine the best between the tied memories until one remains. It certainly would make it more cumbersome, and maybe not that fun anymore, so eh. I do think the current system could be improved upon though. In what way that also preserves the games flow and ease of use, I do not know.
FourGiving wrote:The other option, which SEEMS to have merit, is to award a sentence points for each turn it wins the vote. But then this totally stinks for those players going last :( It could also lead to some "gamey" votes, where someone is voting against a sentence only because they don't want that person to get anymore points.
That sounds horrible. I vote for tossing it out the window.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

I think an option to remove the random memory is good. But then, I always like when things have options since different people like different things. I'm only playing it for the first time and we just finished the first "real" sentence, which got a 5-0 vote of course, and I just felt like the voting was a waste. I could see where the random memory is so silly that it could be funny and therefore quite good, but it wasn't in this case.
lalalisa

Post by lalalisa »

I like the random memory. I have voted for it on occasion as well!
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Now that I've played this a few more times....

Sometimes the random memory can work and make sense, although usually not. (In the game I just started, it works up until the "because" and then totally makes no sense.)

I'm not that concerned about voting against that random memory, but I do have a concern that the "winning" memory is always someone towards the end. I could actually see keeping all memories and voting on one at the end, and on the occasions when there are ties, I wouldn't find it that "cumbersome" to have to vote again between the tied ones. In fact, it would still be less time consuming because we have to stop and vote each and every time anyway, and sometimes those tie and then the most recent person has to break that tie (and usually in their favor so what's the point). Having one vote at the end, with a possible tie breaker would take up less overall time. This would also alleviate the need for the random memory, an accidental bonus.

Another advantage to this is that I just finished a game where the options people had to work with just didn't work very well so most of the memories were kind of meh, including my own. In a case like that, it seems pointless voting between two things that aren't all that great, and more worth it to vote among 6 and maybe one of them is pretty good.

If someone is going to get 2 extra points, and that even gives them the win, voting among all 6 seems a lot more fair.

OK - so I also see two disadvantages to this. One is that some people might feel overwhelmed by having to pick among 6. The other is that everyone could just vote for their own, but the easy solution is to not allow that.

In terms of the game here, I realize that requires a bunch of programming changes and I'm never looking to take up a bunch of someone's time, so it's just my thoughts.

Return to “Remember When”