Is it cheating to exploit a bug?

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
dingbat

Is it cheating to exploit a bug?

Post by dingbat »

In Hawaii there is a bug that the second player can spend more resources than they have - is it unethical to do use this?

I ask because in game Hawaii n°829010 i lost to the top ranked player 'Orange Squirrel' by a few points - when i replayed the game i saw that he kept buying things till he had enough to win (despite the fact he was exploiting the bug). In the last round they spent 8 more resources than they had - so it was not an accident. I would not have known this without replaying the game from his view point (i was suspicious). I think it is cheating to do this and I will not play with this person again - now i must wonder how they reached this top ranking

In the last round they spent 8 more resources than they had - so it was not an accident

EDIT - just have seen that it is a reportable offence to exploit a known bug for your own end
kamchatka

Re: Is it cheating to exploit a bug?

Post by kamchatka »

Orange squirrel exploited the same bug in our game in table 812913.

It doesn't bother me terribly, even though this is a clear violation.

I do think that once the bug is fixed, all prior scores should be wiped.
dingbat

Post by dingbat »

Orange squirrel is a habitual abuser of the resource bug and therefore, to my mind, a cheater

I agree that scores should be wiped when the bug is fixed - or at least orange squirrel's

It's a real shame that the top two Hawaii players on this site (songuku is the other) have got there by bug exploitation not fair play
SonGoku

Post by SonGoku »

u are second player who called me not correct, shame on you.

nothing stop you to exploit bug too. it is your choice. no one of us will insult you for that,because moderators should fix bug ASAP . who found this bug,can win in some games,but WAIT = me and orange squirrel are not in top coz of our advantage, we was learning this game as first players,thats why we are at top. we can easily prove that after someone will fix this bug.

one more thing : i stopped yesterday exploit this bug. i played with someone and i misscalculated my feet moves so i was going to -1 ,but that is just my misscalculate, i am not doing this anymore. and for prevent to exploit the bug from anyone, i am trying to buy asap island ,,get 4 fruit,,.

well,u can call us cheaters,but we will not have troubles,coz thats fault of gamemaker on this site.after fixing this bug,we will stay in top.we´ll prove that. dont make us enemy, we dont too. Gl in games all.
dingbat

Post by dingbat »

You two might be the greatest players on earth - but you both abuse the resource bug. Don't blame the programmer - its your choice whether to play with the rules of the game or exploit the bug. And it is a reportable offence to exploit a known bug.
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Hello,

Maybe it should be more explicit in the FAQ of the website, but it is actually forbidden to exploit a bug in a game. In those case, it's of course difficult to determine whether it is intentional or not, but for the record: it is forbidden. I'm going to check abuse reports and see if there are reason to act.

By the way: this bug has been fixed now.

Cheers,
dingbat

Post by dingbat »

sourisdudesert wrote:
In those case, it's of course difficult to determine whether it is intentional or not, but for the record: it is forbidden. I'm going to check abuse reports and see if there are reason to act.
It will not be difficult to see that these two have been abusing the bug. I hope you remove all their ranking points for Hawaii - so many of their results were achieved by using it.
SonGoku

Post by SonGoku »

well, i will agree if you remove all my points and you will reset my ELO score,that should be fair. and now,when bug is fixed,i will prove from my begin that i will be top3 .
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Hello,

I review some Hawaii games from SonGoku and Orange squirrel. They certainly took the 4 fruit island more often than necessary, but everyone should admit that they are both playing Hawaii very well. By the way, the bug is fixed now and they are still winning most of their games ;)

I am the guilty person on this one: I shouldn't have described the way to reproduce that bug. In the future, I will pay more attention to that. Because I'm guilty, I won't remove any ELO points.

Cheers,
Sorp222

Post by Sorp222 »

So you have rewarded cheating. In some games they only won by u sing the bug - they got points they did not deserve

How can it be your fault that these people have used the bug to cheat other players out of wins? Surely players can take responsibility for their actions?

Yes they are good players But they have been Playing by different rules to other players

By taking no action you are rewarding cheats and showing that the boardgamearena rankings are a farce

The top two players got there partly by exploiting a bug - this is cheating and tarnishes boardgamearena, gaming.

It Is a disgrace that these two keep their elo points - a the least you should reverse the results where they used the bug - Me, Kamcatha, Dingbat and nemocorp lost games (and ELO points) to these people because they used the bug - we are also all good players who did not use the bug. Please reward honest play - not cheating

Return to “Discussions”