Improvement idea

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Een

Re: Improvement idea

Post by Een »

eoc wrote:I'm aware of some of the shortcomings of the ticket that was created. However it's still an improvement over the previous situation (no report at all) and so I didn't like that the only apparent problem was the statement "It's not a bug" – despite the fact that we can include suggestions. This also goes to thank you for actually providing helpful criticism as opposed to a plain dismissal!
Yes, I said "I understand your reaction" :)
eoc wrote:I guess what one could propose here is the restriction "on table #" be lifted somewhat, since suggestions relating to one game in particular won't always be able to specify a table number just so they're linked to the correct game category. In this case it would've been possible (with additional work for the reporter and questionable benefit to readers)
Well there could be a way to link a report to a game without a table number, but that would need extra work on the tracker, and why? It's possible to use any table number of this game (not really difficult to find from the player game history) so it's actually always possible to link the report to the correct game category.
eoc wrote:– but I can imagine in other cases it gets more tough to find a table demonstrating the situation for which you have ideas on how to improve it.
Well if the table demonstrates the situation it's better (and should be possible because otherwise how did the player think of this suggestion?), but even if it's not the case, at least linking the report to a table puts it in the correct game category and notifies the correct developer. That's quite some benefit ;)
eoc wrote:And since in a different context it has been pointed out to me that the bug tracker's usability is lessened due to lack of people helping, I'd like to volunteer for that kind of organizational work, such as opening a new issue in the correct categories and communicating in the now-obsolete report why that had happened.
Thanks! It's always great to get help to organize and qualify reports.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

WHERE DID YOU SEE THIS BUG?

>During a game, at table #
>Not during a game

-

To start with, these should probably be rewritten to clearly specify what is being reported.
Een

Post by Een »

N_Faker wrote:WHERE DID YOU SEE THIS BUG?

>Not during a game

-

To start with, these should probably be rewritten to clearly specify what is being reported.
This is really vague. What are you specifically suggesting? (It's always better not just to suggest that something be changed but to think further and describe the desired change itself for comment or iteration, implementation or rebuttal)
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

I merely wished to point out something that could be improved upon at that time.

Anyway.
IS THIS REPORT RELATED TO THE BGA WEBSITE OR TO A GAME?

>BGA Website
>Game, table #
I don't like this formulation, but something like it should be better than the current query and options.
Leaving 'Suggestion reports' as a nested option within bug reports isn't ideal either. No good ideas in that regard.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

eoc wrote:I'm aware of some of the shortcomings of the ticket that was created. However it's still an improvement over the previous situation (no report at all) and so I didn't like that the only apparent problem was the statement "It's not a bug" – despite the fact that we can include suggestions. This also goes to thank you for actually providing helpful criticism as opposed to a plain dismissal!
I was not reporting "the only apparent problem" because I am not a mod. I'm just another user. One who is not aware that suggestions are reported in the bug section. (If suggestions go to bugs, why do we have a Suggestions forum???) To me, when you say there's a "bug report" I take that as a bug report, and it's not a bug. Simple as that.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

N_Faker wrote:WHERE DID YOU SEE THIS BUG?

>Not during a game

-

I kind of agree, but I don't have any great suggestions either. I just know I feel it's a problem. (Sometimes you know something is not right, but don't necessarily know what to do about it.) If something happens during a game, but is a problem more related to something about the site, then neither choice seems to work. I reported something a long time ago connected to a game, because "not during a game" was not correct, but it also had nothing to do with that specific game. It got ignored, but maybe because there wasn't any good way to report it.

(As a side note, that turned out being a cookie problem. Since there are several things that need put in an exception list, it would be nice if those were all listed some place. I seem to recall that an extra "en#" was needed even though I'd never needed it before.)

Of course, none of this has anything to do with Stone Age but...

Return to “Stone Age”