Coup

Board Game Arena Official announcements
Een

Coup

Post by Een »

This festive season, we have the great pleasure to unwrap online Coup, a game from Rikki Tahta published by La Mame Games, now available on Board Game Arena!

Play it now!

In Coup, you'll be intriguing your way to power in an old italian city state as the head of an influent family. Your goal will be to discredit other families and force them into exile. And to reach this goal, morals are of course both redundant and quite useless! Bluff, lies and intrigue on the other hand...

On your turn, you'll chose one of the possible actions, that may match one of your 2 character cards in hand... or not! But if another player thinks you are bluffing, he can call your bluff... and if you are indeed bluffing and he catches you red handed, you'll lose face before the Italian court (and in the game, you'll lose one of your characters in hand). Of course if you are unduly accused and can prove your innocence by revealing the proper character, then it's your accuser who loses a character. A player who loses both character cards in hand is eliminated from the game: to win, you have to be the last one to stand proud before your peers!

Coup is a fast paced and fun game full of counters and surprises! We are really happy to have this great game join BGA's Premium catalog. Like the other Premium games (7 Wonders, Carcassonne, Terra Mystica, ...), you need to be a Premium member to create a new table of the game, and after that you can play with whoever you want to (Premium or not). Since Christmas season is getting really close, and sometimes late gift ideas are very welcome, we would like to remind you that at the bottom of our Premium membership page you can click on "Offer a Premium membership to someone" to gift a lucky player with even more happiness!

We would like to thank the publisher La Mame Games for their authorization to publish this game on Board Game Arena, and the developer quietmint who created a really beautiful and easy to play interface for Coup!

We wish you a very festive and fun end of year!
truecolors

Re: Coup

Post by truecolors »

Very exciting, but my first game had to be abandoned because of a bug that prevented us from playing. I posted about it here:

https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!bug?id=11579
Mr_Magic

Post by Mr_Magic »

Is this game Real Time only?
JCase16

Post by JCase16 »

Too bad this is only realtime...
turtler7

Post by turtler7 »

To echo all the others... :( realtime only? :(
Michielos

Post by Michielos »

Unfortunately its full of bugs and rule errors :(
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

turtler7 wrote:To echo all the others... realtime only?
Yes.

It makes no sense to play this game in turn based mode, since it has some sumultaneous actions.

This is not the first time a game is realtime only on BGA (see Celestia for example).
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Michielos wrote:Unfortunately its full of bugs and rule errors :(
We indeed have an important bug on ambassador during the launch but it has been fixed immediately and there are zero open bugs right now ;)
JCase16

Post by JCase16 »

sourisdudesert wrote:
Yes.

It makes no sense to play this game in turn based mode, since it has some sumultaneous actions.

This is not the first time a game is realtime only on BGA (see Celestia for example).
You could also say this about Dice Forge, and yet we still want to play it turn based because playing games in real time can be a hassle for busy people. Lots of games have simultaneous decisions that work just fine in Turn Based games.
turtler7

Post by turtler7 »

sourisdudesert wrote:
Yes.

Eminent domain has some decisions like this and allows users to choose to wait to decide (invoking turn order) or jump the gun and commit immediately when played turn based.

I would implement coup so that when you have the opportunity to call someone out for their claim anyone can choose to call them out or to wait till it is their turn to decide to call and force players in clockwise rotation to make their choice to call them out or let them get away with it. If no player is being targeted (claiming duke to collect tax for example) it would start to the left of the claiming player. If a player is being targeted they should be the first to commit to calling them out or chickening out then go clockwise from there. As stated, like eminent domain did to make it so there isn’t a slow churn waiting for everyone to get online each player can be given the option to call at the same time as domain does on follow/dissent but add the wait button so a player who isn’t the one required to commit to a decision now can hope someone else takes the risk first but can jump the gun if they are reasonably certain and want to keep the pace of the game flowing.

Celestial only sees about 10 games played a day even on a weekend. I admittedly don’t know that game well enough to attribute its lower play count than many other games to lack of turn based but I am quite certain it hurts it.

I highly recommend the developer consider my suggestion for turn based by invoking a turn order system and still allowing players to jump ahead when they want or wait patiently for their own turn (the cautious thing that will happen most of the time). Put a note saying the game plays best in real time, I have no disagreement there. But I won’t be able to play this with the board game arena discord group and run a multiplayer bosspile for it if I am unable to let the group access it turn based. I would otherwise support this game in our plays and further encourage people to learn and embrace it.
BGA discord group

Return to “Official announcements [en]”