Rematch does not randomize order of players

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
watercourse

Rematch does not randomize order of players

Post by watercourse »

Noticed this on on Puerto Rico and Carcassone, don't know if it affects other games . . . when choosing a rematch, the player order is never changed, it remains the same and this can be bad in a mixed ability group.

Also do you guys accept Bitcoin Cash yet ? I want to renew my membership but I can't use credit cards.
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Re: Rematch does not randomize order of players

Post by sourisdudesert »

About the rematch:

The rematch keep the player order but the 1st player is changed to the next player. This is the basic principle of a rematch (playing with the same person + change the player who starts the game). If you want to randomize the player order, you shouldn't use the rematch option.

About Bitcoin: sorry, we used to accept Bitcoin but like many other websites (ex: Steam) we stopped, for exactly the same reasons than the others.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

While I agree that switching first player makes sense in a rematch for 2-player games, I do not see the logic for it in games of more than that. If the player order stays the same but just switches first player, does that mean that I'll have the same neighbors in 7 consecutive games of 7 wonders?
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

... in fact the 7 Wonders case has been reported and this feature has been disabled for this game.
watercourse

Post by watercourse »

I'd like to see that 7W exception available for other games. I play a number of games with the same group and we'd like rematches with random ordering so that the ordering doesn't give advantages.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

rather than rotating 1234567, you could instead follow a pattern like 1,4,6,2,3,7 or even something even longer (you get the basic idea) to ensure that the seating order does not have the same neighbours.
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Hi,

If you suggest me a rotation method that works for all games, whatever the number of players is, I'm more than willing to implement it :)

At now the method is:
_ last player to play in the previous matchs is now 1st to play
_ all remaining players are playing afterwards in same order.

So with 3 players:
ABC => CAB => BCA

With 4 players:
ABCD => DABC => CDAB => BCDA

CB Droege

Post by CB Droege »

It would be easy to come up with a different fair rotation for each number of players, but coming up with one that always works is more complex, I think.

Just a first thought, could do:

-Previous last player goes first
-Previous first player goes second
-remaining players random

??
halojones

Post by halojones »

sourisdudesert wrote:If you suggest me a rotation method that works for all games, whatever the number of players is, I'm more than willing to implement it :)...
Hi,
This is just a thought, but could you offer an option when selecting rematch to rotate or randomise players?

That way the group can decide what rematch option they want.
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

A simple random allocation should be sufficient, and easiest to program. Sure, there's a possibility that on two consecutive games you end up in the same position, but in the long run it should all even out.

Return to “Suggestions”