Bigger avatars

Board Game Arena Official announcements
molaid

Re: Bigger avatars

Post by molaid »

I dont use an avatar, it makes it difficult for me to read how many players are on the table because the avatar of players without an avatar are almost the same as the avatar of required players. Also it is a bit too big which makes my eyes painful :oops:
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

SchaufelElch wrote:Wow, such a great idea to use the same logo/image for

* A player
* An invited player
* No player

Hi

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry but we didn't change anything here: the situation was exactly the same with the previous default "shield" icon.

However, I agree that this is not ideal and we may find another images for this.
souly4 wrote:Hm, it seems sometimes you admins like to ignore certain posts that contain arguments that don't please you.
Sorry but I have nothing more to say... I'm really sorry you dislike the new default avatar, but this is just a "default", we are doing what we can to make player changing it, and this meeple is way more in the "theme" of this website than the previous "shield". Tastes are something very personal and it is impossible to satisfy everyone, so sorry again about this.
souly4

Post by souly4 »

It's okay, at least you show some adaptability as the pic was changed to a lighter gray now, if I'm not totally mistaken. Of course you can't satisfy everyone, that's why I pointed to the possibility to create polls for this in future to at least find the relatively best solution, or to enable us to customize this default avatar. What I probably liked about the shield is that is was plainer and more neutral.
Like Liallan, I just found the statement odd that you intended to 'force' people to change their avatar. I think such kind of manipulation really is the wrong approach. Either a user is truly interested in having an individual avatar, then he will change it anyway, or he isn't. With inserting an 'ugly' pic you only influence the second group, namely in that way that they will either leave it even if they are averse to the look (and that's a case with several people in this thread already) or carry out an action they normally wouldn't have in order to get rid of it...

Anyhow you appeased me with this more discreet gray so I genuinely appreciate that. I particularly like the white icons with question marks for 'free' spots, they look so smooth in my opinion. Maybe you can still keep in mind my suggestion with the individually selectable avatar for sometime in the future when you have little to do... So now enough rambling in this thread and I hope it's my last post :)
anlaspig

Post by anlaspig »

SchaufelElch wrote:Wow, such a great idea to use the same logo/image for

* A player
* An invited player
* No player

Thanks for changing it, now the page is more readable again!
EllieK

Post by EllieK »

sourisdudesert wrote:
They are ugly by design, so you are incited to change it :)
?? Ummmmgly....

They are very ugly. I changed mine. If other people don't think they are ugly or are simply lazy and don't change theirs, the site will remain ugly. Very ugly. My ability to change one icon out of tens of thousands does nothing to help repair the utter gruesomeness of the grey icons which spatter my screen like maggots in the belly of a big, wet, dead dog on a hot summer day.

Please, get rid of the greyed-out, visually disruptive, making me really uncomfortable, the Elephant-Man slept here, default icons.

THEY LOOK VERY AMATEURISH LIKE WHEN PEOPLE TYPE IN ALL CAPS. YOUR ALL CAPS DAYS ARE BEHIND YOU.

Please.
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Thanks for your feedback.

The previous default avatar is no more suitable with the rounded design, so we need a new one.

However, if someone would like to propose a better than the current one, it can be posted here.
souly4

Post by souly4 »

How about leaving the basic design of this avatar as it is but offering the users to choose between different background colours instead of grey? (The white meeple should be maintained if you ask me). That shouldn't mean a lot additional work for you either.

I recently read an article about the favorite colours of a sample of people, divided into male/female or age. The differences between the groups were not significant, and it came out blue was on the top steadily, followed by green and red if I remember correctly. I thought that link must be in my history but I can't find it instantly...so here's another one that should be informative enough.

https://www.livescience.com/34105-favorite-colors.html

Grey is not represented in that chart ;)
While I can understand it might fit the general design of the site, it could be void when many features are already changeable like the interface and the personal avatars... So letting people customize the default avatar's colour might only be the consequent next step.
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Hi,

Sorry but the default avatar is part of the website design and has to be the same for everyone.

I agree about the color, but a default avatar has a meaning. It means "this is the default, hey, you'd better change it".

Here is how a "default avatar" is displayed nowadays:
https://www.google.com/search?q=default ... 95&dpr=1.1

You may find these images "ugly", but they have an important meaning, which is "this is the default". And we want this meaning.
souly4

Post by souly4 »

sourisdudesert wrote:Sorry but the default avatar is part of the website design and has to be the same for everyone.
Why, because it's your policy or because of technical issues?

If there really is the necessity to have one uniform default avatar, my other proposition mentioned in the former posts still holds - create a poll with the most basic colours and declare the winner the next colour instead of grey. For me, the rest design of the pic looks totally fine, it's plain and unassuming.
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

souly4 wrote:Why, because it's your policy or because of technical issues?
Because this is the web standard.

Do you know another (well-known) website where you can choose the default avatars for other users?

Return to “Official announcements [en]”