dot or not dot

BGA localization discussions
ollyfish2002

dot or not dot

Post by ollyfish2002 »

Hello
I think there should be some kind of rules applied in Original sentences : should it be a dot or not at the end of sentences ?
I have translated sentences that once contain dot and review them later : dot has disappeared in the original sentence. Someone removed it but why ?
Is there any reason ?
Should I review all sentences and remove all dots in french ?
Een

Re: dot or not dot

Post by Een »

Hi!

Punctuation should follow the standard set by the developer (this means that if most strings displayed in some context are using final punctuation, and one is missing it, the translator may fix it to be homogeneous, as it's probably a typo; but changing most of the translations to conform to a translator preference while the developer did otherwise originally is generally not a good idea).

As a rule of thumb, most games development present sentences without punctuation when they are in a context where they are logically separated from other sentences by presentation elements/blocks (ex: status bar, game log), and with punctuation when many sentences follow each other inside the same block (ex: tooltips).

In any case, editing a lot of strings in the translation system just for changing punctuation is generally not a good idea. This should be limited to rare fixes in case of an obvious typo for having the same punctuation in the same context (ex: removing a dot in a log message when all other messages do not end with a dot).
ollyfish2002

Post by ollyfish2002 »

I agree, but original sentences from the developper are changed in English translation for unknown reasons (like adding a dot at the end)
Een

Post by Een »

ollyfish2002 wrote:I agree, but original sentences from the developper are changed in English translation for unknown reasons (like adding a dot at the end)
Well, at some point someone did many edits that were not correct and we had to block him. Maybe that's a leftover of this. Which game are you talking about?

Return to “Translations”