Is it considered ok to reveal your deductions about your cards if it indicates to players something about their hands?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
brucellosis

Is it considered ok to reveal your deductions about your cards if it indicates to players something about their hands?

Post by brucellosis »

I recall reading discussion about how it can be good to ask people 'what do you know about your hand?' etc to see what they have understood from the clues they received, and calculate if they need further clues etc.

But is it considered ok in response to such a question to reveal a fact you have deduced not only from the clue, but from looking at other people's hands? For example, if someone has clued me 5 and later asks me what I know about my hand, and I can see say one 5 played and 3 5s in other people's hands (clued or not), is it ok for me to say I have deduced what colour my 5 is?

Or further, is it considered ok to volunteer that information. Eg. same scenario but towards the end-game and I know some players will be thinking about cluing me the colour of the 5 when I already know what colour it is. Can I just say in chat something like 'Hey, for info, I know my 5 is white?'

Either way, this kind of comment might tell another player something they don't already know - like they must have a 5 in their hand they haven't been clued about yet.

I can see views for and against, personally, and just wondered if there is a BGA main attitude on this?

Cheers,
B
Ankeszu

Re: Is it considered ok to reveal your deductions about your cards if it indicates to players something about their hand

Post by Ankeszu »

I would say it isn't ok.
Let's say someone asks "what do you know about your cards". You know you have one 5 that cannot be yellow, and only red 5 has been played so far, no 5 lost. In base game it leaves 5b,5w,5g. And you reply "I know I have 5 green or blue here".
How is it any different than just saying them "hey, you have 5w" as a chat info - not provided with a clue token* - and as such, not in the spirit of the game? ... How about just chat about our cards, why not?

* There is quite a lot info that can be provided without using a clue token, although none of them is related to talking - rather actions timing and game flow stuff. E.g. if - by looking at the table and the other players cards - I deduce that my card is playable, and I play it without any comment, it can tell another player that he has this card that should be seen by me to make me able to deduce this play. Similarly to the situation above, basic game: 5r, 5b and 4g were on the table, 5g can be played; I have non-yellow 5 (because of other yellow clue not marking it) and someone just have drawn 5w, I can play my 5 without a further clue.
Daredek

Re: Is it considered ok to reveal your deductions about your cards if it indicates to players something about their hand

Post by Daredek »

In my written rules (near the end) it says, However, ... You could always allow comments like ... "So do you remember what you have in your hand?"
But, is this just for the card game? Our cards are automatically marked on BGA.

I love seeing players doing 'Magic'. Playing a card without any visible reason. It makes me think.

Also, I enjoy the social aspect of hanabi. And will ask 'after' a play, what was your thinking? To find out what convention or logic they used (ie: it is Monday and raining).
Ankeszu

Post by Ankeszu »

The crucial word: what do you remember, not: what do you know. Remember indicates that it was previously clued by a clue - not that you deducted it by what you see. My "it's not ok" is about giving the info that was not possible to be figured if not said.
brucellosis

Post by brucellosis »

Thanks! I suppose the middle-ground might be it's ok to say what you deduce from a clue, if it doesn't rely on what you see in other people's hands.

Eg. if a blue 1 is the only card played, and someone clues me 3 in the midst of my hand, and no one holds blue 2, it seems fine to say 'Oh, ok, I deduce I most likely have blue 3'. This might help if playing with new players, or perhaps the third or fourth player is less experienced.

Any thoughts? I do agree it is nice to keep those deductions unsaid sometimes (perhaps most or all of the time), and just let the magic happen :)

Cheers,
B

Return to “Hanabi”