Internet dropping during a game

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Cybernoid

Internet dropping during a game

Post by Cybernoid »

This happened to me just now. I had to reset the router several times before my computer would even connect to it, by which time the game I was in had been abandoned. I messaged the player I was playing with at the time to apologise but I wish there was a way the system could account for it without trashing your ratings.
RicardoRix

Re: Internet dropping during a game

Post by RicardoRix »

server side (BGA) - there is no way of knowing the difference. Someone with connection issues and someone who has deliberately turned off his wifi. Either way it's not really fair on your opponents to have to live through your internet connection problems.

You could :
- connect to your router with a cable.
- play turn based games.
- buy a new router and/or decipher if it's your laptop or your router which is a problem, or change ISP.
Last edited by RicardoRix on 12 March 2019, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.
Cybernoid

Post by Cybernoid »

Point taken as to how it can't be accounted for.

However it seems a little churlish to suggest changing ISP / connecting by cable. My router started flashing and several resets failed to bring it back online until about 10 minutes later. This is not an ongoing problem.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

Then you haven't got a problem then, sorry for trying to help.
Cybernoid

Post by Cybernoid »

No need to get all passive aggressive, my point being is that sometimes these things happen, routers freeze, internet goes down, powercuts etc etc etc. I appreciated your reply nonetheless :-)
Caffe Latte

Post by Caffe Latte »

Don't take these ratings too seriously, has your life quality suffered a lot you being 94% for a while? S*t happens, you are nor the first, neither the last here. Connection stopped, other players were upset and disturbed, that is a fact. Was it due to router, cat feeding or you felt aslept - who cares, apologies for directness. Would you imagine Boardgamearena to establish Appealing Board where quitters would submit signed petitions with confirmations from internet providers and two witnesses? :)

Take it easy. It is just a gaming site.
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

I've had similar things happen a couple of times - Internet connection drops out, takes several minutes to restart, so the game is abandoned by the time I get back. While I don't like seeing my karma drop below 100%, the reality is that it gets back up to 100% pretty quickly, and I've never had any problem finding willing opponents at 90% karma.
Caffe Latte

Post by Caffe Latte »

Just to follow up and heads up - Authors reputation is back to 100% . Dropping once an Internet connection is not the end of life, really.

Return to “Discussions”