Some news about the translation system!

Board Game Arena Official announcements
Een

Some news about the translation system!

Post by Een »

The collaborative translation system has been with BGA almost from the start to allow as many people as possible throughout the world to play together with no language barrier. We are quite happy and proud about it, but of course it's not perfect.

With more than 150 games - and translations happening in 35 languages - we tried to see what we could fix or do better.

1) With so many translations, fixing mistakes in validated translations has become tedious. Doing it manually when reported by players in the forums was slow and time consuming. So we decided to trust the community some more, and to allow players to fix validated strings directly if they have enough experience on BGA and on the game. Please be aware that fixing validated translations doesn't award any gift points, and should be done only to correct clear and obvious mistakes. It's best not to make changes you are not sure of, and always stay as close as possible to the original English text in meaning and style.

2) For some languages there is not a lot of translators and we wanted to try to make things easier, so we thought that it would be faster for translators to proofread and correct than to translate everything. So when possible (which means when there is no substitution parameter involved making the text dynamic), we will now propose a computer generated translation by default, and then translators will be able to either make changes to improve it as usual, or just to confirm it in one click if it's already good! These default translations will appear progressively in the weeks to come, and this new functionnality should allow us in the future to open the website in more languages for which we don't currently have enough players to bootstrap a translation, and maybe spark interest for players in these languages.

Let's be clear, this is absolutely not meant to replace the current community based translation system! We really need the translators help in translating dynamic strings and in proofreading the translations to have them meet the "human quality" level that creates a smooth and natural play experience.

3) Even with good intentions, some mistakes were made by translators making changes to the original English text. And that was really a bummer, because mistakes propagate to all languages afterwards... So for English, we decided to set up a validation step to avoid mistakes. If you spot something incorrect in the English version of the website or in an English text you are currently translating, you can look for that text in the "from English to English" translation system, and propose a change (with a comment!). This change will then be validated (or refused) by the BGA team.

4) Since we didn't think about setting up specific guidelines about punctuation, some translators added or removed final punctuation a little anarchically over the years, for example adding an ending dot for text used in buttons (Yikes! :o ). We homogenized that to get back to the intention of the developer in terms of meaning expressed through punctuation and clarity of the interface (a website is not a book). Now we also trigger a warning if the final punctuation is changed: translators reported some cases where it can be legitimate, so it can still be done, but please be careful with this, it should stay exceptional!

Thanks again to all translators from the community contributing their time to allow players from all over the world to enjoy playing board games in their native language!

Really. That's awesome! :D
Corwin007

Re: Some news about the translation system!

Post by Corwin007 »

That sounds really great. I usually based the use of punctuation on how the original English text used it.

Also, it's good that fixing validated strings doesn't award rewards. Most of the work was already done by others, I don't want to profit from it. I did make lots of changes to homogenize terms used in different games and fix some mistakes in validated translations, but it's still just small corrections compared to the amount of work put in by the original translator, so I'd be happy if only they got the points. Was it the case until now as well, or did you change it from now on?
lsx1989

Post by lsx1989 »

希望克洛兹大师(krosmaster)竞技场的中文翻译能够得到完善 如果需要帮助的话我很乐于帮助进行翻译
Een

Post by Een »

Corwin 007 wrote: Also, it's good that fixing validated strings doesn't award rewards. [...] Was it the case until now as well, or did you change it from now on?
Until now only experienced translators (with more than 100 validated strings) could change validated strings, so it was pretty limited, and the gift point was given a second time in case of a fix.

Now that we have changed the rule to allow more people to fix validated strings, we clearly want the only incentive to do that to be making the translation perfect ;)
Een

Post by Een »

lsx1989 wrote:希望克洛兹大师(krosmaster)竞技场的中文翻译能够得到完善 如果需要帮助的话我很乐于帮助进行翻译
Thanks! Help is always welcome in the translation center!
EllieK

Post by EllieK »

So if you translate English to a second language you get a gift point but if you fix poorly worded English you don't get a gift point? Too easy?

I feel like I'm less of a member of the community now. We have a special "English" rule? If you speak English you will no longer receive points for fixing poorly worded translations. If you fix a poorly worded Portuguese translation will you get points? What about Lao?

As a paying member I will no longer be fixing bad English and this will be my last renewal. Am I really going to PAY you money to use your site and work as some sort of team member to help you with the site, while you withhold a 'gift' point for what I'm doing. Really? Petty, petty.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

EllieK wrote:Am I really going to PAY you money to use your site and work as some sort of team member to help you with the site, while you withhold a 'gift' point for what I'm doing. Really? Petty, petty.
You are not obligated to translate or fix anything...
EllieK

Post by EllieK »

N_Faker wrote:
EllieK wrote:Am I really going to PAY you money to use your site and work as some sort of team member to help you with the site, while you withhold a 'gift' point for what I'm doing. Really? Petty, petty.
You are not obligated to translate or fix anything...
or pay. Don't forget pay.
Een

Post by Een »

EllieK wrote:So if you translate English to a second language you get a gift point but if you fix poorly worded English you don't get a gift point? Too easy?

I feel like I'm less of a member of the community now. We have a special "English" rule? If you speak English you will no longer receive points for fixing poorly worded translations. If you fix a poorly worded Portuguese translation will you get points? What about Lao?

As a paying member I will no longer be fixing bad English and this will be my last renewal. Am I really going to PAY you money to use your site and work as some sort of team member to help you with the site, while you withhold a 'gift' point for what I'm doing. Really? Petty, petty.
This is a bit strongly worded (did you have a bad day?), but still a fair point to answer.

What we are saying is that English is more important since any change made for English impacts all other translations. And some translators did mess up. With good intentions, but still.

So English is different from other translations by construction. We could make it so that submitted changes to the developer's initial English text that get confirmed by the BGA team after review give a gift point, but we certainly don't want to incentivize players to drown us in useless change requests just to get gift points, and that would actually be different from other languages since fixing validated strings (in Lao or whatever) does not get you any gift point, only the initial validated translation gives you one.

But really, gift points in translations should not be the main incentive for translating. A community website can function only through the members main incentive being to contribute to the community.

A lot of players here do just that. We are thankful to them (by the way, thank you for the improvements you made to the English texts) and we try to give back by offering the best service we can. No one has to do anything, but we can choose to.
EllieK

Post by EllieK »

I appreciate your explaining. And I guess if no one else gets bonus points for improving translations, I don't really have much of a point here. :oops:

Sorry. Didn't mean to be so harsh. I'll check to make sure I haven't been bitten by a bat or something.

Return to “Official announcements [en]”