Add 'player report buttons' to table page

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
N_Faker

Add 'player report buttons' to table page

Post by N_Faker »

Adding 'player report buttons' to the table page, which automatically adds the table number, would be quite convenient.

Many users don't bother to add the table number, add an incorrect number, claim they forgot or just don't know where it is, or just choose a different category altogether.

Some users also have difficulties locating the singular player report button on the profile pages.

https://boardgamearena.com/#!bug?id=12460
diamant

Re: Add 'player report buttons' to table page

Post by diamant »

Many things are convenient and yet totally useless.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

diamant wrote: 11 May 2019, 22:50Many things are convenient and yet totally useless.
Something convenient is by definition something that is useful. Please avoid posting if you have nothing to contribute.
diamant

Post by diamant »

N_Faker wrote: 12 May 2019, 03:35Something convenient is by definition something that is useful. Please avoid posting if you have nothing to contribute.
As you have not argued about the usefulness of your proposal, I have to assume you’re using the word "convenient" in the sense of: Being within easy reach.
I don’t think it’s really useful to increase the number of reports that are done on the pulse of the moment.
Last edited by diamant on 12 May 2019, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

diamant wrote: 12 May 2019, 16:12As you have not argued about the usefulness of your proposal, I have to assume you’re using the word "convenient" in the sense of: Being within easy reach.
I don’t think it’s really useful to increase the number of reports that are done on the pulse of the moment.
As I stated in my opening post, many users have issues with the table number for the player reports, which is made evident by a significant number of misfiled player reports.
eoc

Post by eoc »

N_Faker wrote: 12 May 2019, 19:44 As I stated in my opening post, many users have issues with the table number for the player reports, which is made evident by a significant number of misfiled player reports.
I acknowledge the problem you're describing, however I do feel like a better solution would avoid placing buttons/links with a negative connotation such as reporting players right on the game table. Fearing an increase in hot-headed reports on the spur of certain in-game moments is not entirely unwarranted ;-)

So how could the workflow be designed to help me, if I want to report someone?
Idea without giving it much thought in detail: Don't make me look up the individual player, instead have a generic button that will present me with a list of (recently played | current) tables and which allows me to select a player from one of those. This also means the correct table is right there without me having to look up some otherwise "disconnected" information (remember, I want to report players, not game tables).
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

You could have a nice 'recent games played against this player' list to help filling in the form.
Caffe Latte

Post by Caffe Latte »

Is reporting a player a regular routine here? Got a bit kindergarten feeling, sorry. You are talking of it as a casual action and I started to think what have I missed never doing that.
Could you please share samples what makes you report one?
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

As far as I know, there are 3 major actions that people take that harm the gaming community, and that should therefore have people who engage in them be removed:

1) Frequent slow play/disconnections.
2) Abusive language in chat.
3) Kingmaking (Deliberately having one player win when there is an obvious play available that will let the active player advance their position further.)

Situation 1 is easy to detect, and handled automatically with the karma penalties. Situations 2 and 3, however, cannot be consistently detected by code and need human investigation. Having a report of "On table xxxxx at about hh:mm, player ZZZZZ called me a #$%$, which is a slang term for female genitalia" is a much easier investigation than "I didn't like what ZZZZZ said to me at a table once." It ts also much more helpful than "On (the wrong table number), ZZZZZ ...."

--------edit---
OK, 4), exploiting a known bug to get a win, but that is normally better taken care of by fixing the bug, not eliminating the player.
-----end edit----

I don't think this suggestion was wanting to increase the number of reports, just increase their accuracy and helpfulness. I can see the reason for concern for hot-headed reports, though, so I like the other suggestions of having assistance in filling out the forms.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

Caffe Latte wrote: 15 May 2019, 13:22 Is reporting a player a regular routine here? Got a bit kindergarten feeling, sorry. You are talking of it as a casual action and I started to think what have I missed never doing that.
Could you please share samples what makes you report one?
Caffe Latte wrote: 11 May 2019, 10:24 I always thought it is childish and against any sportsmanship. Then I had a closer look at some 500+ ranked and - voila ;)

I might promise to eat my hat if this is not a clone play:

(Blanked) game xxx (two player game)
Most frequent opponents
(Blanked): 645 hits on 655 games (98%) [Filter]
https://boardgamearena.com/#!forum/view ... =3&t=13653

Return to “Suggestions”