Optionally disable Field Scoring

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Jest Phulin

Re: Optionally disable Field Scoring

Post by Jest Phulin »

OK. This just switched from "house rule" (which I oppose) to "official variant." Not because of the BGG thread, but because of the Asmodee link. Feel free to code it and do the required bug maintenance.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

CraWleR wrote:Wow :D Just shows how some people don't make any sense :D Whatever, like I said, up to you. It's an improvement, however whether you use the suggestion or not is up to you. Me and my friends already have a version that has that option, so not like I care much.
Excuse me? You're the one who was asking if that option could be available here. If you're going to post an idea, it's totally legitimate to add opinions about it, and even the idea of having the option available at all is part of that opinion, and therefore totally makes sense. And obviously those of us who posted this opinion were not aware that the app offered this option (thereby making it 'official'). And if you care so little about it, why did you post to start with?

You're the one not making sense.
CraWleR

Post by CraWleR »

Liallan wrote:And obviously those of us who posted this opinion were not aware that the app offered this option (thereby making it 'official').
Do you want to read my first message again? Let me add the exact spot for you, so you wouldn't miss it again and act insulted:
CraWleR wrote:We've tried playing it together and switched to "Carcassonne Tiles & Tactics" game on Steam. One of the reasons was because it allows Disabling Fields essentially no longer giving you the option of placing Meeples on Fields.
I said the same thing N_Faker did, just in other words.
Liallan wrote:And if you care so little about it, why did you post to start with?
It's basically along the lines of "I will suggest another person something, which I think will be beneficial for him, but it's up to him whether he wants to follow that suggestion or not". Same principle here. I think having that option would be beneficial to BGA, but it's up to BGA to decide whether they want to add it or not.

Me, my brothers and friends have the Asmodee's Digital adaption "Carcassonne Tiles & Tactics", which already has that option, so when we do play, we already have an option that allows us to Disable Fields.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

CraWleR wrote:
Liallan wrote:And obviously those of us who posted this opinion were not aware that the app offered this option (thereby making it 'official').
Do you want to read my first message again? Let me add the exact spot for you, so you wouldn't miss it again and act insulted:
I didn't miss it the first time. You're making the false assumption that I know anything about Steam, which by the way I don't. I do know who Asmodee is.

Not that this makes any difference to me. I think their time could be better spent on other things, I don't like the idea of even having the option, these are legitimate opinions and do make sense. Oh, and the community has a right to have opinions about it. You can repeat all you like that other people can do with the suggestion what they want, but no one ever said or implied they think the site or anyone is forced into accepting your idea. I'm pretty sure we all know that's not the case.

If you post an idea, be realistic and expect that people are going to post their own (possibly opposing) opinions or ideas about it.
CraWleR

Post by CraWleR »

Like I said:
CraWleR wrote:Wow :D Just shows how some people don't make any sense :D
If the forum had the ignore option, I'd do it. Sadly, it doesn't. Good luck in life with that attitude ;) I won't reply to your posts again other than to disagree :D
LtSterling

Post by LtSterling »

Field scoring can be disabled on XboxLive and in other digital implementations - it is a very common variant and the lack of this option is the reason my group does not play Carcassonne on BGA. I check back every few months to see if the option has been added - Love BGA overall so not a huge deal - we just play other games but would love to see it added some day.

Thanks!

Dave
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

Has this been posted as a bug in the bug reporting system?
DrKarotte

Post by DrKarotte »

There are 2 kinds of variants: those who simplify a game, intended to be used when playing with children/newbies and then quickly adandoned (e.g. apprentice variant in Seasons), and those who offer more depth, complexity, possibilities ...

Disabling fields seems to belong to the first group. I would not use it, as it takes a lot of strategical elements from the game.

There are 2 kinds of digital implementations: A site like BGA, offering tons of games mostly for free, and those which offer exactly one game, usually not for free (I don't know for Carcassonne). Of course these developers, publishers have to offer as much for their customers as possible. You can invent thousands and more variants for most games out there, and it is clear that even an paid app cannot offer all of them, unless there is a possibility to play without any rule enforcement.
PetterStr

Post by PetterStr »

This is a quote from the official Carcassone rules (see e.g. https://images.zmangames.com/filer_publ ... _rules.pdf):
We recommend playing a few games before introducing farmers and fields.

[...]

After a few games, start playing with the fields and the farmers in order to increase your strategic possibilities.
So I really think it would make sense to include this as an option.
Grethousand

Post by Grethousand »

I agree with PetterStr!
Last edited by Grethousand on 03 November 2020, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Carcassonne”