New Interface Questions

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
gin-features

New Interface Questions

Post by gin-features »

Hey, there are things I like and things I don't like about the new interface. For instance, why can I no longer get a list of all open tables for my favorite games, showing who is there, their levels, and options the host chose? As far as I know, with the new interface, I need to click on each game to get that info. That is a very roundabout way to do things, in my opinion. If you can't provide the opportunity to list games that way, I would rather go back to the old way.

I just bought a year of premium like 2 weeks ago, and now I'm beginning to feel ripped off.
Gedsaro

Re: New Interface Questions

Post by Gedsaro »

I have to agree, new interface 'looks nice' but isn't as functional as the old one.

Old one you can see ALL games for games you are interested in, the details, etc.

I can see the new way being good if you have favorited MANY games which always have many open tables to choose from, but unless you list is already uncomfortably large, the old way is better.

Make both options, and that would be perfect. (seriously, if there is a way to switch back that I missed, please let me, and others know!)
Ricomania

Post by Ricomania »

I agree. Not being able to see all the info we had before is not good.
talmere

Post by talmere »

Ive jumped on about 3/4 times to play because it's worth waiting to see if I can get used to it.

But honestly the missing information is essential enough that i dont really want to play anymore
dschingis27

Post by dschingis27 »

Asking out of curiosity: What is it exactly that is missing? Because I don't recognize anything missing except for the list of players. But for each open table, isn't it the same information displayed like before? Elo of players wasn't displayed unless you clicked on the table, just like now.

Really not asking rethorically but just want to know what I forgot.
Didgeridoof

Post by Didgeridoof »

I agree. Without a list of all open tables easily accessible, I quickly lose my desire to play.
Robo65

Post by Robo65 »

I admit that the new interface confused me at first. But then I read the FAQ and I think I came to terms with it.

I don't see the functional difference.

Unless I am very mistaken, the ELO Levels of the opponents (except the category good/strongexpert) weren't visible in the old interface, either.

Since the old interface is disabled, I cannot ask you to post a screenshot that shows the missing things. And you must see the point why the interface had been redesigned: some data was expensive (in terms of computation) to get, and that was dropped to keep the service stable. Users are the curse of a web developer: if you get too many, all of your design flaws come up to haunt you and your servers. So, see the new interface as a kind of ghost buster ;)

There is one difference in handling: you must open the table list for those games that you want to play. You can do this quickly for all games with the "display options" menu, there is "expand all", and "small icons". The selected game options are shown (at least for carcassonne and yahtzee). And maybe the narrow view (for mobile devices) could be optimized to save height and show more data.

Robo
Timbamania

Post by Timbamania »

One big thing I find is missing is the list of available players. For games that are less popular it helps to know how many players there are available (and what their level is).

For instance, I play a lot of 6 Nimmt! My preferred level of opponents is strong players and above, and if there is a large number of strong players, or several strong players I know that love to play the same variant I will open up a table for this level. If there are less players available I change the minimum level to good players. And if there are much less players active I may skip creating a table altogether unless I am ok with waiting 10 minutes+ for the game to start.

Now this invaluable info is gone. I noticed I am much less enthusiastic to create a table and more likely to drop out quickly if the table is not filling up. I can imagine it is the same for more people I play with on a regular basis.

Even inviting friends has become a chore since you don't see is they are available easily.

So because of the new interface I play less, which defeats the purpose of the change I suppose.
seaofgreen

Post by seaofgreen »

Yes I quit my membership immediately with the new interface. It used to take me 5minutes plus to fill a table of 6 for 6nimmt. Now it takes me over 20minutes and most of the time I just quit.

BGA isn't worth it anymore. Most likely I won't play here anymore soon.
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

seaofgreen wrote: 15 September 2019, 17:05 Yes I quit my membership immediately with the new interface. It used to take me 5minutes plus to fill a table of 6 for 6nimmt. Now it takes me over 20minutes and most of the time I just quit.

BGA isn't worth it anymore. Most likely I won't play here anymore soon.
Fun fact: on the 3 last days there have been an average of 400 tables of 6 nimnt played each day on BGA... which is exactly the same average than in the previous month.

There may be a perception difference, you may have been unlucky on a table, but what the statistics says is that there is no problem like you are suggested.
Timbamania wrote: 15 September 2019, 16:56 One big thing I find is missing is the list of available players. For games that are less popular it helps to know how many players there are available (and what their level is).
Well, it looks like they are back :)

Return to “Discussions”