Using lower building favors?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
FelixFelicus7

Using lower building favors?

Post by FelixFelicus7 »

Hi All, just needing a clarification. For example, if I were to move up to the stone building favor aren't I still allowed to use the wood building favor if resources dictate I do that? Just had that situation & when I selected the wood peddler it said I must select a stone building. The BGA rules state 'Each time you gain a favour, you may advance one space on one track, or select a lower favour if you prefer'. Hope someone can help me out? Thanks.
Liallan

Re: Using lower building favors?

Post by Liallan »

Yes, you can use the current one or any of the lower ones. You'll still move up on the track when you're allowed.

And it does work, but I kind of remember having trouble figuring it out. I haven't played it for a while, but I was thinking you click on the one you're choosing, and if you can make any moves up the track that would happen automatically. Did you try to move it manually up the track yourself first?

Edit: I should point out that what you quoted from their rules is actually incorrect, because it's not an "or." You do move up the track as long as it doesn't go past the castle section, and then you can use the space you're on or any below it. That quote makes it sound like you move up or use something below it - not quite right. Unless they're implying that's the way to use the interface, which is kind of what I said above.
FelixFelicus7

Post by FelixFelicus7 »

Thanks for the reply Liallan. Yes, I first selected moving from the wood building favour to the stone building favour by selecting the stone favour, BUT after moving there it DID NOT let me build a wood building (needed tp do that due to resource constraints). A red error msg popped up saying 'you must build a stone building'. Another user posted the same issue in bug report #9115. I have since sent a report also.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

I'm not positive I'm following your meaning, but I don't think you should be choosing the stone building on the track at all. I am going to assume that it was originally on the wood, and using the track would then move you up to stone, but you still want to use the wood. IIRC, you wouldn't pick the stone at all in that case. Just by selecting wood, it should automatically go to stone for the move.

On that bug report, that player specifically said they "advanced" it to the stone. That's what I think you should not be doing. (Although I'd love if someone else could confirm this.) The implementation is not very helpful on this, and honestly I'm always afraid I'll do it wrong and flub it up. :D I really do think you wanted to choose wood, and let the game move on the track for you. (Meaning that bug isn't a bug.)

The rule quoted in that bug report is from the original rules, and not from anything here that tells you how the interface works. Keep mind this is not manual and many things can happen automatically, so you can't always do them the way you would in cardboard. Instead you have to figure out how the interface works.
FelixFelicus7

Post by FelixFelicus7 »

I understand now, thanks. You simply select the lower favour & the disc doesn't advance. Bit of a Caylus newbie as you can see!
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

FelixFelicus7 wrote:I understand now, thanks. You simply select the lower favour & the disc doesn't advance. Bit of a Caylus newbie as you can see!
Sorry, no. The disc does advance, but in this implementation it advances automatically. i.e. you should not attempt to advance it yourself.
marioaguila

Post by marioaguila »

I have played more than 30 games in real life and some here. The way to implement this track is horrifying. The normal thing to do in real life is, First, move the marker on the construction track and Second, choose which building to build. Here it is the other way around. First the building to be built and then the marker goes ahead. Totally non-intuitive. It is a total and absolute bug. It has made me lose games, forgetting the bug, in the final round.
He jugado mas de 30 partidas en vida real y algunas acá. La forma de implementar este track es horripilante. Lo normal que se hace en la vida real es, Primero, mover el marcador en el track de construcción y Segundo, elegir cual edificio construir. Acá es al revés. Primero el edificio a construir y luego se adelanta el marcador. Totalmente no intuitivo. Es un bug total y absoluto. Me ha hecho perder partidas, al olvidar el bug, en la ronda final.

Return to “Caylus”