[BETA] XP and Achievements: Gotta catch'em all !

Board Game Arena Official announcements
DrClick

[BETA] XP and Achievements: Gotta catch'em all !

Post by DrClick »

For the end of Arena season 0, we are starting to introduce a new feature for the site:

The new BGA Achievements system.

Although it is still in the process of work, refinement and taming (yes, like a wild animal), it is a novelty that will evolve during the next few weeks.

Anyway, how does it work?
SIM-PLY.

- XP (or experience) now replaces prestige. As with prestige, you gain XP points each time you unlock a success. The successes correspond to different actions carried out on the site. Rankings, events, easter egg, etc ...

- The successes have all been redone graphically (even if there is still some optimization in progress)

- There are TONS of successes to unlock. Much more than before. And still, a majority are not yet available and will only be available in a few weeks.

- A new "Achievements" page is accessible from your user menu. You will see that some achievements are linked to a game, but also that there are many more "general" ones, which are not linked to a particular game. It's up to you to discover them.

For more details : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15001

Season 0 Arena is now over.
Big success on the platform, thank you very much to all. We were focused on other topics at the end, so we couldn't test everything we wanted, but you enjoyed it and that's the bottom line. The arena is closed for 24 hours while we analyze the results and prepare for "SEASON 1", which will mark the official start of the Arena mode.

That's all for now, have fun, see you tomorrow for information on the new Arena.
positiveFail

Re: [BETA] XP and Achievements: Gotta catch'em all !

Post by positiveFail »

My bad English.
BUG! re-accrual of bonus points.
"positiveFail wins the first time in Gaia and gets: +5"
"positiveFail first wins unitedsquare and gets: + 5"
I already received this bonus and did not deserve a replay.
AddONE1235

Post by AddONE1235 »

Congratulations on a successful zeroth season!
Looking forward to all the new changes.

Thanks team.
bananasplay

Post by bananasplay »

Note that "XP" means "eXperience Points", so it's completely redundant to say "XP Points".
Please check my profile for a list of bugs that need upvotes so that BGA will maybe get around to fixing them.
Dylan Black

Post by Dylan Black »

bananasplay wrote: 15 April 2020, 14:00 Note that "XP" means "eXperience Points", so it's completely redundant to say "XP Points".
Unless XP is a proper noun in this instance. Then it's fine to distinguish what kind of points.

I feel your pain, though.... if I hear someone say "PIN Number" one more time, I'm gonna punch some drywall.
vigorousRoll

Post by vigorousRoll »

This time around I'm not going to bother to learn what the new badge designs and color schemes mean.

You know why ?

Because in nine months you'll completely redesign everything.....all over again !

There's too much restlessness around here.
Sunmaster14

Post by Sunmaster14 »

Thanks for providing an exciting beta season of Arena experience during these challenging times!

I hope you will research previous news comment sections and relevant forum threads when looking for inspiration on how to improve Arena mode for Season 1 - lots of good suggestions there!

Regarding the XP redesign - so far so good, I am just not sure I agree with today's change that switched all tournament trophies to same greenish color (probably was meant to reduce clatter?) and changed the gained points to 300/150/75 for 1st-3rd place. I can live with new color scheme (though it was nice to look back at diversity of previous throphies - if they all look the same from now on, except by name, incentive to gain new ones will be much smaller), but giving same XP for all tournaments seems wrong to me - the new system was supposed to reduce the problematic practice of creating smallish (some would say - "fake") tourneys just for sake of farming XP - but if this system remains, it will actually incentivize it!
Also from visual standpoint it was nice to look back in history and see a 5000+ points worth trophy and nostalgically reminiscence - yeah, that was one grand tourney with many high-ELO players that I managed to win! - but now they all will be the same, stock picture of green cup with some name on it and the standard 300XP points. It may be just my subjective feeling, but for this one aspect i liked the old system better!

Keep up the good work! :)
eSedano01

Post by eSedano01 »

Dylan Black wrote: 15 April 2020, 14:20
bananasplay wrote: 15 April 2020, 14:00 Note that "XP" means "eXperience Points", so it's completely redundant to say "XP Points".
Unless XP is a proper noun in this instance. Then it's fine to distinguish what kind of points.

I feel your pain, though.... if I hear someone say "PIN Number" one more time, I'm gonna punch some drywall.
Or, if it puts your mind at ease, assume "XP Points" stands for "eXPerience Points" :P
asd123321

Post by asd123321 »

I have always thought being an expert should get a lot more points because you have to beat a lot of people. You could be in the top 5 much easier with a game that doesn't have a lot of players.
GerarddeG

Post by GerarddeG »

After this 'update' there are no prestige-points to earn in a tournament I host.
It says '0 XP'. Will that change when the tournament starts or are we playing for 0 XP and fun only?

Return to “Official announcements [en]”