Different characters

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
pinkyandthebrain

Different characters

Post by pinkyandthebrain »

I was wondering if there is any chance in the future of having some more characters added to the game. It is really popular but perhaps we are becoming a little formulaic as we get to know everyone's playing styles. I realise there is a site in French (loup garous online) that has many more characters on offer. Would there be any chance of BGA acquiring the rights (if that's how it works) to some of these too please? Even simply allowing us to use the pyromaniac, raven and white werewolf in a non-village game would be great, or even allowing us to turn off the FT in favour of some of the characters to add variation to our play.

Would anyone else like to see more variation in the game or am I alone. If so just ignore me :D

Thanks for all your hard work!
J-Effe IV

Re: Different characters

Post by J-Effe IV »

I second this. Especially the part to make the village special characters available in non-village. Raven, particularly, is great.
AhoyMatey

Post by AhoyMatey »

Yeah would be nice to see White Werewolf and Raven function in non-village games at least.
rabat-joie

Post by rabat-joie »

I completely agree! Some of us play frequently (and, in fact, there is virtually always at least one game going), and some variety in role options would be welcome and refreshing. It would also make it easier for new players to join in; those of us who play together regularly know each other's "tells" in various roles very well.
aghagh

Post by aghagh »

If I were a site manager, before implementing new features for a game I would see how many users are playing the game and if those players are making use of every current feature available.

For this game in particular, I don't see that many players as compared to other more popular games, and not all features are being used to their max (village games are much less frequent than basic ones).

So what could be done to have new characters added? In my opinion, basically two things (and success is not guaranteed by any means):
- promoting the site and the game amongst friends and acquaintances to increase the number of players.
- making an extensive use of all current features of the game until they become "worn out".

Having said that, I would also like some new features, I've even written a couple of bugs / suggestions myself. :)
J-Effe IV

Post by J-Effe IV »

The issue that would explain why Village games are less popular is that the buildings (tokens) sort of dictate the game, which make it less interesting for some players (that's my case). I also understand that the distribution should be random, but I find there are often too many power tokens compared to cows and vagabonds. However, players do like the village roles (namely Raven and White Werewolf - Pyro could be unbalanced in regular games), and they can certainly work well without Village. Since those roles are already available on the site, it shouln't be too much of an issue to make them available in any game.
pinkyandthebrain

Post by pinkyandthebrain »

J-Effe IV wrote: 23 February 2020, 12:29 The issue that would explain why Village games are less popular is that the buildings (tokens) sort of dictate the game, which make it less interesting for some players (that's my case). I also understand that the distribution should be random, but I find there are often too many power tokens compared to cows and vagabonds. However, players do like the village roles (namely Raven and White Werewolf - Pyro could be unbalanced in regular games), and they can certainly work well without Village. Since those roles are already available on the site, it shouln't be too much of an issue to make them available in any game.
Sometimes there are way too many powerful houses and sometimes there are just redundant houses, say bonesetter and bailiff with no captain so even reassigning cows is pointless. I am not familiar with this expansion irl, but I wonder if there was a way(or an interest) to set a fixed number of special houses (4 perhaps) which could be randomly chosen and assigned to limit the number of times we end up with a "boring" village or one that is too overpowered.

And J-effe IV, I could think of ways pyro could be used in base game with the widespread use of "host house rules", such as pyro must randomly burn night 1 say.
SvenJanssen

Post by SvenJanssen »

*First of all, sorry for my poor English

Personally I think adding more characters now would have the main issue of current max game sizes (12) being too small.

I play this game very often in real live and sometimes even with groups of 30 people. What I notice, since I play leader a lot, is that the smaller games (8 to 18 people) do not need any of the characters from any of the expansions (New Moon, The Village or The Characters) to make the games interesting. The people who play a lot will notice that using The Village expansion can also add a nice twist to the Original game.

So on one hand I do not think adding characters would change much to the game, especially since the characters which would or could be add will probably be very specific ones, since I know some characters just require larger group or are otherwise way to overpowered. When counting all the non-ordinary villager roles in only the expansions together, we come on 23 EVs and speical werewolves (26 because some share a collective role). Looking from that regard, it is surely possible to add some of these. I listed some of them directly below this passage, if you want to read them. Keep in mind that these roles are mentioned with the idea of a still small game in mind (max 18 players).

Un-used but possible EVs for boardgamearena:
The Scapegoat (If the village can't agree about whom to eliminate, the scapegoat is eliminated. Nevertheless, he can decide about who can vote the next day)
The Idiot (If he is chosen by the village to be eliminated, he stays alive, but he cannot vote anymore)
The Ancient (He can resist the first werewolf's attack, but if he is killed by the witch, the huntsman, or the villagers, the villagers lose their powers)
The Simple Villager (On the two faces of the cards, there is the illustration of a simple villager. So, everybody knows that it's a simple villager)
The Stuttering Judge (Once in the game, he can decide that there is a second village's vote by a sign that he had shown to the animator during the first night)
The Fox (Each night, he can choose three players. If in these three players, there is at least one werewolf, the animator gives the fox a positive sign and he preserves his power. But, if there aren't werewolves in these three players, the animator gives the fox a negative sign and he loses his power)
The Devoted Servant (The devoted servant can, whenever during the game, exchange her card with the village vote's victim's. She plays this character until the end of the game)

However, another problem with large game is, as you might have guessed, the playtime. Some normal games of 12 people now take around 20 minutes, which is already a fairly long time. Also keep in mind that this time is experienced as to be longer for people who got eliminated earlier in the game. For my experienced, games with 18 people take around 30 minutes, but games with 30 people easily can take an hour. What I want to make clear from this, is that a long playtime will be unappreciated by most casual players, which in turn means most of the un-used roles will never make the cut for boardgamearena. Thought I think the ones I mentioned above fit perfectly (if balanced well with other EVs) in games between 12 and 18 players.

There is even much more depth to the Original werewolves game than some may know; like event cards were every day a special condition is added to the game (for example a womens party took place, so all the women who are playing are too hangover to come to the voting the next day, and thus wont vote for that day). Or The Gyspy who can ask a spiritual question once a night, with all player will hear the answer on (for example "are all werewolves male" … "yes/no"). But I'm going slightly out of topic here haha ;)

All and all I think some new character would make this game even more fresh, since more different character combinaitons can be used. Even other mentioned characters here like The Pyro, The Raven or The White Werewolf could be included without the need of The Village expansion (however, this needs to be done carefully, since I tried this something in real life, but this often turned out to be really unbalanced, since Vagabonds keep The Pyro and The Raven from being too powerfull. Same for special roles against The White Werewolf). Yet I think a max of 18 people should also be the absolute max for playing online. We regular players all know how frustrating it is if other players are not talking, talking a different language or are simply afk. But until that time, I hope we can have a great time with the roles currently included in the game! :D

Return to “The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow”