Number of roles?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
fiscused

Number of roles?

Post by fiscused »

I know there's a current problem with new players choosing too many village roles, making it impossible for the ww to win. I do not have enough experience to say what the max should be. Suggestions?
aghagh

Re: Number of roles?

Post by aghagh »

A balanced set-up is crucial for this game, yes.

One suggestion you could get: don't play with new players, only with experience players. But I don't agree with this because over time unbalanced set-ups would become the standard. The only path I see is helping new players realize how unfair an unbalanced set-up is, but that takes time and for these new players to lose a few games as werewolves to start grasping the idea. And some effort at guidance by more experienced players.

A first approach for me is 1 ww / 1 EV / 2 OV for every four players. But characters like Cupid or the thief can also help the balance of a game because of their powers so they may not count for the EV limit (perhaps 0.5 EV each ^_^). Another rule of thumb: #OV > #EV. And what to do with 9 / 10 / 11 players ? The 11 player game is very unfair to the werewolves as they are just 2 against 9 (and it could even be 1 against 10 because of thief).

For the Village expansion it's even more important because the additional roles either help the village (raven, pyro) or hurt the werewolves (white wolf). New players need to discover these roles, so it's ok if they do some testing as beginners, but at some point one can only hope they start to see the importance of the ordinary villager in games.

Hope that helps.

ps: You should see at the other site I play sometimes (loup garous en ligne), I've been at games with 16 players and not a single OV! How do they handle it ? They prohibit (or try to prohibit) claiming roles. I think that's the wrong approach as it almost feels like a different game with the same components, but that's another story.

Return to “The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow”