KingdomiBuilder

Future games in need of testing and feedback
Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on: https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
CaKtus

Re: KingdomiBuilder

Post by CaKtus »

I don't know what Bonnyaclyde means but I love playing KB with 2 land cards in hand from the first turn. So you have to choose every turn from your 2 cards as you get a new card each turn and keep the one you chose not to play. I like it much better this way as it decreases the luck factor, which can be impossible to overcome sometimes, as Bonnyaclyde said.
I know the game was not designed that way and that it spoils the interest of the Crossroad power in the extension (in which case we give a third card).
bonnyaclyde

Post by bonnyaclyde »

Tisaac wrote: 18 July 2020, 11:59
bonnyaclyde wrote: 17 July 2020, 16:31 I have a request for an option you could turn on or off on Kingdom builder. That is to be able to see your next turns land card at the beginning of your turn at least for the first turn.
We always play this way after several very unenjoyable games where one player lost the game at the end of their 1st turn when they drew their land card and got an unlucky draw. This did not make for a very fun game for the rest of us to continue playing knowing that player could not hope to win. In those games that player was not always last but they never won.
If you add this mod my group would be very excited to play Kingdom builder on BGA.
I dont understand what you are suggesting. You mean you are playing with ALL the terrain cards already known ??
This would be a completely different game.
The rules say you draw a new terrain card for your next turn at the end of your turn. Our rules change that to the start of your turn.
So- At the start of our turn we reveal the terrain card we have in hand then draw a replacement which we keep secret in hand for next turn. Then play as normal.
I prefer to play this way the entire game as it reduces the luck factor in the game. Or you can do it just for the first turn to eliminate the second turn player elimination. Which ruins the game for me regardless of who it happens to.
nairobiny

Re: Kingdom Builder

Post by nairobiny »

I can't agree with referring to it as a 'luck factor'. The requirement to build adjacent to an existing settlement is an essential constraint of the game. It is the game!

Therefore you should build your initial settlement(s) with care, taking account of what future cards may require you to do. Sometimes, a position that will ultimately score you fewer points at the end is better, because it will not require you to build adjacent if you have an 'unlucky' draw.
SirSquinty928

Post by SirSquinty928 »

bonnyaclyde wrote: 27 July 2020, 19:26
bonnyaclyde wrote: 17 July 2020, 16:31 I have a request for an option you could turn on or off on Kingdom builder. That is to be able to see your next turns land card at the beginning of your turn at least for the first turn.
We always play this way after several very unenjoyable games where one player lost the game at the end of their 1st turn when they drew their land card and got an unlucky draw. This did not make for a very fun game for the rest of us to continue playing knowing that player could not hope to win. In those games that player was not always last but they never won.
If you add this mod my group would be very excited to play Kingdom builder on BGA.
I dont understand what you are suggesting. You mean you are playing with ALL the terrain cards already known ??
The rules say you draw a new terrain card for your next turn at the end of your turn. Our rules change that to the start of your turn.
So- At the start of our turn we reveal the terrain card we have in hand then draw a replacement which we keep secret in hand for next turn. Then play as normal.
I prefer to play this way the entire game as it reduces the luck factor in the game. Or you can do it just for the first turn to eliminate the second turn player elimination. Which ruins the game for me regardless of who it happens to.

So I understand what you are trying to do there, or at least, how you are trying to make it more controlled and less "random." But having seen how the game plays out in person, I think this would lend itself to extensive AP by certain players. Sure, some people are faster than others, but the idea now is that you get information about your next turn as soon as your turn is done, and you have the other players' turns to figure out what you want to do. Having 2 turns to plan out at the same time in this kind of game, with SO many options often available could add unnecessary AP to the online experience. Playing board games online all the time instead of in-person is depressing enough these days (because many of us in lockdown literally have no alternative) that I wouldn't want to do anything that would add MORE moments of silence in between turns. Of course, this may be specific to me, as I don't often play any turn-based games, and typically play over discord with friends. It just gets...pretty dull when peoples' turns turn into extensive think-phases over the Internet. I suppose I get it as an option for the game, but it is, as one poster said, rather antithetical to the kind of game this is. It just makes it a different game. In the 'real' game, you're supposed to be both playing the 'right' move' while also playing the odds.
coolpapa

Post by coolpapa »

Just played a couple more games of Kingdom Builder after having been away for a couple of weeks. The UI improvements are great, and I love the added clarity on scoring. Great work by the devs!
Denlerien

Post by Denlerien »

Progression percentage is still not correct (100% from the start), but it's not big deal. 3D is shown, but settlments are flat - I don't need 3D but I can't tick 3D in review as it is, but still want to put 5 stars.

Do you plan to add some expansions in the future?
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

coolpapa wrote: 02 August 2020, 01:22 Just played a couple more games of Kingdom Builder after having been away for a couple of weeks. The UI improvements are great, and I love the added clarity on scoring. Great work by the devs!
I've put some time trying to make scoring more clear so I'm glad you like it !
Denlerien wrote: 02 August 2020, 18:49 Progression percentage is still not correct (100% from the start), but it's not big deal. 3D is shown, but settlments are flat - I don't need 3D but I can't tick 3D in review as it is, but still want to put 5 stars.

Do you plan to add some expansions in the future?
You should have made a suggestion for that 3D part ! Although I thought that I had disabled 3D anyway ?
bonnyaclyde

Post by bonnyaclyde »

SirSquinty928 wrote: 30 July 2020, 15:14
bonnyaclyde wrote: 27 July 2020, 19:26

So I understand what you are trying to do there, or at least, how you are trying to make it more controlled and less "random." But having seen how the game plays out in person, I think this would lend itself to extensive AP by certain players. Sure, some people are faster than others, but the idea now is that you get information about your next turn as soon as your turn is done, and you have the other players' turns to figure out what you want to do. Having 2 turns to plan out at the same time in this kind of game, with SO many options often available could add unnecessary AP to the online experience. Playing board games online all the time instead of in-person is depressing enough these days (because many of us in lockdown literally have no alternative) that I wouldn't want to do anything that would add MORE moments of silence in between turns. Of course, this may be specific to me, as I don't often play any turn-based games, and typically play over discord with friends. It just gets...pretty dull when peoples' turns turn into extensive think-phases over the Internet. I suppose I get it as an option for the game, but it is, as one poster said, rather antithetical to the kind of game this is. It just makes it a different game. In the 'real' game, you're supposed to be both playing the 'right' move' while also playing the odds.
It definately reduces the luck factor but I don't think it increases the AP overly which having the choice of 2 land cards each turn would. I enjoy the game either way so long so we play that way for the first turn. If kingdom builder is suggested to play by someone and they don't want to play the first turn with foresight I will push for a different game. And if there isn't some kind of option for that on BGA, for the 1st turn at least, it will not be a game of choice for us.
Nessi

Post by Nessi »

Hi,

I'm very pleased to have KB here on BGA. I 've played some games, but I'm worry about the number of Kingdom Builder cards. The game gives 4 cards in the beginning, in my rules is written, that there are 3 cards. Bug or just a testing feature?
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

Castle are not a real kingdom card but I've added them to make easier and more consistent for scoring for begginers ;)
(Therefore this «card» is always drawn whereas the other three are random)

Return to “"Alpha" games”