Quantum update

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
imbroglio

Re: Quantum update

Post by imbroglio »

Ratburntro44 wrote: 28 June 2020, 22:06
galehar wrote: 27 June 2020, 23:06 So, you'd personally prefer to have to confirm each time to have more control?
Does anyone have ever encountered the situation where you wanted to lose a fight or is it just a theoretical thing?
It certainly never happened to me in hundreds of games.

But yes, I would personally prefer to confirm each time. At best maybe there could be rules like "manually check for an attack if the opponent has Stubborn, manually check for a defense if you have Eager, Stealthy, Righteous, Clever, Curious, Tactical, or Stubborn", but even that wouldn't quite cover every edge case.
I'll second the fact that there are situations -- both as the attacker and as the defender -- where you are trying to lose an encounter rather than win it. I'll add that there are some situations where this is desirable even if you don't have any cards -- you might simply want to reposition a ship. I think there are therefore two key points:
  1. you can't assume that all encounters are intended to be won
  2. you can't determine from the game state what they intent of the player is
So, there's only a few sensible ways to handle this, I think:
  1. a manual indication from the player for each game that indicates their intent in future encounters. Once indicated, this would enable auto-rerolling for Cruel, Relentless, etc. At least two sensible widgets for this:
    • a checkbox for each player (e.g. Dice Forge Blacksmith's Hammer) saying something like "Attempt to win all encounters", OR
    • a dropdown saying something like "---/Attempt to win all encounters/Attempt to lose all encounters"
  2. a dialog box that asks each player for their intent at:
    • the beginning of each encounter (e.g. "Do you want to win or lose this encounter"?), OR
    • the first encounter in a given turn (e.g. "Do you want to win or lose encounters this turn?")
  3. a combination of these -- i.e. dialogs on each encounter unless you have checked the box/selected an item from the dropdown
Personally I would be fine with the default being "attempt to win all encounters". Then players experienced enough to care could opt out in each game where it becomes relevant. This would save a good bit of time...

If they were opt-in, these choices are unlikely to make a meaningful difference to game time unless they are between experienced players. I find that frustrating, but I haven't seen any "safe" suggestions that would make a meaningful difference possible. Happy to be proven wrong, though!
vrmlghost

Post by vrmlghost »

One of my friends dislikes the game because of the dice on the board representing ships.

I love the dice, but some people might prefer to use the ship images?
Idsky

Post by Idsky »

vrmlghost wrote: 29 July 2020, 12:52 One of my friends dislikes the game because of the dice on the board representing ships.

I have thought about having a toggle for that, but with all 4 races having different looking ships for each same-ship type and the small size they would need to be to fit on the board, it would be hard to tell what was what. They would have to have a big 1-6 number printed on them. I don't have good digital source files for the ships either (I do have the physical game). I haven't completely ruled it out, but my work on this game is voluntarily and I need to pay the bills.

I am hoping to show some indicator as to whether a ship has moved or used it's special this turn. It's easy to forget that a ship you scrapped with Resourceful and re-rolled and re-deployed had already used it's special or move and get frustrated at the end of a turn.
Jakee

Post by Jakee »

I see those auto reroll opt in buttons for combat! I am hype, thanks again!
Een

Post by Een »

vrmlghost wrote: 29 July 2020, 12:52 One of my friends dislikes the game because of the dice on the board representing ships.

That would be really different from the original game, which is not what we do on BGA: we try to stay as close as possible to the feel of the original game. For Quantum, it really includes the dice. Not everyone loves every game, and that's perfectly OK. I'm sure your friend will find other games they love :)
Idsky

Post by Idsky »

Jakee wrote: 30 July 2020, 23:37 I see those auto reroll opt in buttons for combat! I am hype, thanks again!
Heh, That button wasn't added by me, I think it was added to the code in 2018 but only half done and not deployed to the live server!
Now I'll have to make it work properly!
TheRealWVMan

Post by TheRealWVMan »

I have to agree that changing the dice to ships gets to far away from the real game. Not really a good idea for this site.

Return to “Quantum”