Adding a confirmation popup on choosing a card

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Idsky

Adding a confirmation popup on choosing a card

Post by Idsky »

For users without hover on a phone, we still need something to show them the card choices better. They can pinch-zoom now, but for non-English speakers that's still not enough.

How about a popup confirm / cancel when choosing a card with the same contents as the card hover (translated text and big card pic)?

If I do this for mobile, we would have to do it for all. Otherwise people who've played on mobile will probably click a card expecting to just read it if they play on desktop.

I don't think it'll slow things down much. I've seen people accidentally click the wrong card too which this will help with.

Any strong opinions on this?
Een

Re: Adding a confirmation popup on choosing a card

Post by Een »

Well, there is the question of "Should developers compensate the lack of commitment to the web of a company providing a locked-in browser engine on their devices?"

Or "Should users engage with that company to get a better functionality for their money, or use their money to buy other devices if the open web matters to them?"
Idsky

Post by Idsky »

Een wrote: 23 July 2020, 10:05 Well, there is the question of "Should developers compensate the lack of commitment to the web of a company providing a locked-in browser engine on their devices?"

Or "Should users engage with that company to get a better functionality for their money, or use their money to buy other devices if the open web matters to them?"
Not quite the strong opinion I was expecting. So everyone should connect a mouse to their phone? Or all phones need to detect a finger hovering over the screen?

There's a bunch of confirm dialogs in the game already so I think it'll be quite consistent to include it (as well as helpful to mobile users).
Een

Post by Een »

Idsky wrote: 23 July 2020, 13:35 Not quite the strong opinion I was expecting.
Not an opinion indeed. Or a soft one :)
Idsky wrote: 23 July 2020, 13:35 So everyone should connect a mouse to their phone? Or all phones need to detect a finger hovering over the screen?
I was talking about providing an alternative way to trigger hover. Such as a long press.

We may actually have a misunderstanding here. Were you referring to mobile users in general? hover is available with a long press on most mobile devices/browsers. I thought that you were referring to iOS (I have seen a lot of complaints about hover not working or at least not reliably on these devices, but that's at the browser level). That's what I was referring to.
Jakee

Post by Jakee »

I strongly support this for another reason. Generally speaking non-reversible actions* in Quantum trigger a "did you mean to?" dialogue. This protects from accidental clicks.I have been moderately bothered that the picking of a card (no new information) and flipping a new card are combined into one unreversible action**. Definitely had a misclick or two myself.

So I would support this as a good mitigation for my personal gripe against reversible non-reversible and as a helpful feature to both newbies and mobile users. I could imagine making it toggleable, but I don't know how much of a hassle that could be for development.

*non-reversible actions in quantum are actions that reveal information, dice rolls(attacks and reconfigures) and drawing a new replacement card.
**Admittedly in the rules it does say that you them immediately flip a new card so...
Ratburntro44

Post by Ratburntro44 »

Jakee wrote: 24 July 2020, 03:25Generally speaking non-reversible actions* in Quantum trigger a "did you mean to?" dialogue. This protects from accidental clicks.
I was also just recently reminded that it's still possible to reconfigure without a confirmation when you're using a 6's ability. Not sure if there are any other major cases left.
overdhump

Post by overdhump »

Jakee wrote: 24 July 2020, 03:25 I strongly support this for another reason. Generally speaking non-reversible actions* in Quantum trigger a "did you mean to?" dialogue. This protects from accidental clicks.I have been moderately bothered that the picking of a card (no new information) and flipping a new card are combined into one unreversible action**. Definitely had a misclick or two myself.

So I would support this as a good mitigation for my personal gripe against reversible non-reversible and as a helpful feature to both newbies and mobile users. I could imagine making it toggleable, but I don't know how much of a hassle that could be for development.

*non-reversible actions in quantum are actions that reveal information, dice rolls(attacks and reconfigures) and drawing a new replacement card.
**Admittedly in the rules it does say that you them immediately flip a new card so...
Agreed across the board!
ragaboo

Post by ragaboo »

Agree. No matter the device type, my friends and I have more than a few times had the crushing experience of accidentally clicking on one of the cards not intending to take it, and having no undo action. It would definitely be appreciated.
Idsky

Post by Idsky »

This is done now.

Return to “Quantum”